Andras Field USA

Hehe I guess I'll keep plugging a little more for Hamiltion, here is the KMZ file :lol: Being a military base that is closed, it leaves room for lots of building without changing anything airport activity that is currently in real operation. Also a big runway and ramp area to handle anything in the Aerosoft lineup from a Discus to an Airbus.

hamilton.jpg

Anyway good luck, lots of great choices above :)

Hamilton.kmz

• Upvote 1

Here is a link that provides some information for the airport, along with a shot of the area from Google Earth (note that I inadvertantly left out the "p" in Dillant Hopkins in my previous Google Earth placemark). The second capture is an image of the same area as viewed from within FSX:

http://en.wikipedia....Hopkins_Airport

There is much land and space available for expansion. Anyway, just some thoughts in connection with this area. Whichever location is chosen, I know that it will be a good & enjoyable one!

Blue skies!

DillantHopkinsAirport01.png

DillantHopkinsAirport02-FSX.png

• Upvote 2

Just another thought. How about somewhere in the Washington area. Maybe some work done in collaboration with FTX in their PNW area. That way we have miles and miles of beautiful scenery to fly around in and a little bit of everything for everyone. Then you would also be able to fly to the Emma field scenery if it is realized eventually.

Or maybe even KEGE in Colorado. Its tucked in a nice valley in Eagle, Colorado.

Just another thought. How about somewhere in the Washington area. Maybe some work done in collaboration with FTX in their PNW area. That way we have miles and miles of beautiful scenery to fly around in and a little bit of everything for everyone. Then you would also be able to fly to the Emma field scenery if it is realized eventually.

Or maybe even KEGE in Colorado. Its tucked in a nice valley in Eagle, Colorado.

Oooh..Washington State would be fantastic!

I retired from the Navy, at Whidbey Island, in 1997. God, I miss that place.

Yeah any place from the Bay area to PNW would be great, lots of beautiful scenery. And I think wherever in that region could compliment Emma if it is ever done. Even the southern coast is nice too, Monterey, Carmel, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara on down to San Diego. San Clemente and San Nicolas Islands would be pretty, and they are close to Catalina Island. A few ex military bases there that could be converted into a home. Another area that came to mind is the Reno/Minden/Lake Tahoe area. Lots of great soaring at Minden. :)

What about Cuba? :lol: World Politics aside it is a nice location and has some nice geographical features, and its close to Florida ;)

Yeah any place from the Bay area to PNW would be great, lots of beautiful scenery. And I think wherever in that region could compliment Emma if it is ever done. Even the southern coast is nice too, Monterey, Carmel, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara on down to San Diego. San Clemente and San Nicolas Islands would be pretty, and they are close to Catalina Island. A few ex military bases there that could be converted into a home. Another area that came to mind is the Reno/Minden/Lake Tahoe area. Lots of great soaring at Minden. :)

What about Cuba? :lol: World Politics aside it is a nice location and has some nice geographical features, and its close to Florida ;)

Maybe the area around Key West?

Key West would be a beautiful place, tho we may need to find some mountian ranges for the glider folks for their precious ridge and wave lift :) Some if the islands have a few mountians like Puerto Rico and Jamaica.

Another area worthy of consideration that is nowhere near any of the above places is New Zealand, very beautiful scenery there and I think there have been some payware sceneries/meshes done for it. I am sure there are great places in Australia too. Asia may have some places worthy of consideration. Having lived in Japan I know it has beautiful scenery too, tho I dont think there is any scenery done for it other than the default. Take a look at RJFU - Nagasaki and RJFY - Kanoya in FSX, Hamamatsu, Matsumoto, Nagoya, Shimofusa, Yokota all put you close to the Japan Alps, Mt Fuji and to Tokyo.

Maybe SE Asia might be worthy too, some places in Thailand or somewhere exotic that most of us never see or fly to. Hell lets all just move to Tahiti :lol:

Another thought, what about having an airpark much closer to Andras, like maybe an hour or so away or maybe on the other side of the Alps. That way we wouldnt be quite as seperated for events and we could all 'fly' to some place for things and meet.

Hey Pete, thanks for the SanDisk recommendation at SOH...I got one and love it :) also got the silver cover. I found a little kit for it on Amazon that includes an AC adapter for the wall and one for the car as well as an extra black cover for a few bucks.

Cheers

TJ

thanks for the SanDisk recommendation at SOH...I got one and love it :) also got the silver cover. I found a little kit for it on Amazon that includes an AC adapter for the wall and one for the car as well as an extra black cover for a few bucks.....

You are most welcome! There is a site called "Woot.com" that has daily specials. I bought a refurbished Sansa Fuze for $35 (I have two others already!). It has 8GB of memory, plus it takes a micro SD card to add even more! Sansa makes great stuff.

I just had another idea, but doubt Aerosoft would go for it. Wake Island is a beautiful place. Nothing there but a runway, and a few buildings. I spent 8 glorious days there in 1996, courtesy of the USN. Never in my life have I seen a more beautiful place.

Pete

741Wake_Island_jpg.jpg

Wake looks nice, it is one of my regular FSX fuel stops when I fly accross the Pacific in Bill's Epic Dynasty. ie California-Hawaii-Wake-Japan. I suppose the PBY could do that but that would be a looooooong trip...even with time compression :lol:

My concern with the Northeast US is fps. With all of those large cities in the vicinity, would it not be difficult to keep the fps bearable. I'm no fsx graphics expert, but I know when I get near the east coast. :P

Now, I know the Midwest may seem like kind of a barren wasteland, but I assure you it has its upside. First of all, there's nothing but open air. The sunsets are great, the city of Chicago is a major airline hub. Oshkosh is a hop, skip, and a jump away. Not to mention, headed east or west, nothing is too far away. There are lakes, so a seaplane base would be possible. Plenty of open space for housing (That way, everyone can have the opportunity to purchase a plot). The dynamic weather isn't just one thing year round. Like Andras field, it will change. Winters are sometimes harsh, especially in the North. Springs are loaded with rain and changing conditions, which adds definite realism to the experience, as not every day can be perfect VFR. Summers are warm and allow for a lot of thermals, despite the lack of mountains around the midsection (here you go glider fans, if you were feeling left out). There are even a few real-world glider exclusive strips maybe 45 mins from my house (IRL), so gliding is prominent here. Fall is cool, which makes the prop's perform a bit better. That always easy on the virtual wallet when its time to fill up.

The Midwest incorporates many different scenic classes (if you will). Wilderness in the North. Open plains and plenty of (air)space in the midsection, and of course, Moutainous terrain further South.

I dunno, just my two cents. I'll be happy with whatever we come up with as a good place. It will be at least a little closer to home than Andras. I enjoy the trip to Andras, and love watching it develop and participate. I'm just excited with this possibility.

Hey there Matt,

Well, that is a good point; I do not have the Catalina model (yet, lol), thus I am not really sure what its takeoff distance / performance characteristics may require. The adjacent lake is perhaps almost a half-mile / 2500 feet (perhaps 760 or 770 meters) long at its longest part, so you would know better than I if this is feasible.

Let me know how you made out if you ended up scooting over there to take a quick jaunt!

The other advantage of this area is that, although it is conveniently located to many major cities and urban areas of the Northeast, it is actually situated in a very rural area, thus I would suspect that frame rates should not be adversely affected any more than they are at, say, Andras Germany. In any event, there you have it, and I look forward to the new Andras 'cousin'...wherever it may be! :)

Nice find Rusty, though the lake looks a bit tight for a Catalina? I'll have to give it a go :D

The idea of having "another" Andras Field in the US Seems AWSOME to be honest, and i am definitely looking forward to it!

I just have one question, IF it does happen, would it be a complete new package that we'd have to pay for? or would it be a update where as the aiport just gets added?

:unsure::lol:

Thanks!

Ray

Hey there Matt,

Well, that is a good point; I do not have the Catalina model (yet, lol), thus I am not really sure what its takeoff distance / performance characteristics may require. The adjacent lake is perhaps almost a half-mile / 2500 feet (perhaps 760 or 770 meters) long at its longest part, so you would know better than I if this is feasible.

Let me know how you made out if you ended up scooting over there to take a quick jaunt!

The other advantage of this area is that, although it is conveniently located to many major cities and urban areas of the Northeast, it is actually situated in a very rural area, thus I would suspect that frame rates should not be adversely affected any more than they are at, say, Andras Germany. In any event, there you have it, and I look forward to the new Andras 'cousin'...wherever it may be! :)

Hi Rusty, the lakes definately too small for the Catalina. On the longest heading the Catalina will beach its self on the far end after landing :angry: The only way I got her to land and still be floating at the end of the landing roll float? Was to cut the engines on final :o and stall her down onto the water, and everyone thought London City airport had an interesting approach :lol:

• Aerosoft

The idea of having "another" Andras Field in the US Seems AWSOME to be honest, and i am definitely looking forward to it!

I just have one question, IF it does happen, would it be a complete new package that we'd have to pay for? or would it be a update where as the aiport just gets added?

:unsure::lol:

Thanks!

Ray

Yes it will have to be a full new product (to pay for development), though I dare say we can do a discount for existing users.

• Aerosoft

Hi Rusty, the lakes definately too small for the Catalina. On the longest heading the Catalina will beach its self on the far end after landing :angry: The only way I got her to land and still be floating at the end of the landing roll float? Was to cut the engines on final :o and stall her down onto the water, and everyone thought London City airport had an interesting approach :lol:

we can always make the lake a bit longer.... Cats do not need deep water.

and how about province town? Close to NY, Boston etc.

Let's add google earth bookmarks to these posts so we can see what we are talking about.

I would vote for Province Town - have visited it and the area of New England - looking ath the google image a lot of room for building and "amending" the airport to suit all - oh and I am a Boston Red Sox fan too so wouldnt be far from the games :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Yes another vote for the PNW area!!

Mathijs why don't you take the votes from here and make it a poll and we can all vote on it and it will show a definitive answer. Just make sure we can only vote once!

Hi Matt,

I'm glad that you had an opportunity to visit the area. There was a program on American television recently entiled "The World's 10 Most Dangerous Airports [Approaches]", and it had seriously thrilling videos of the epitome of challenging approaches (lol) from all around the world, including from Nepal, the Caribbian & others. I agree that we should not make our new Andras Field "Number 11" ! :lol:

Hopefully, that area nonetheless yielded much food for thought with regard to beautiful potential regions in which to base our new[est] field!

Now, its off to the airplane dealer to take a look at the Catalina as a potentially new member of my fleet. Thanks for inspiring me to yet again part with some hard-earned money! lol :lol: See you on the field!

Lol you'll like the Cat Rusty....she takes off at 90, cruises at 90, and lands at 90 :lol: Just make sure you aren't busy for a while if you plan on taking her long distance :D

Here is a map of suggested locations so far. I havent marked the regional areas but you know where they are like PNW and Caribbean..etc

andrasusa1.jpg