Andras Field USA

• Aerosoft

Gentlemen, I think we should consider opening a new Andras Field on the wrong side of the ocean. See right here we are slowly working ourselves into a corner because adding a huge amount of new houses will make things slower then we like to. Besides, having Andras Field USA open would mean we could swap houses and spend some time on new continent. The big question is of course where. We need a location like Andras Field Europe, close to major centers, big airports. Stunning surroundings, well you get the idea. I would prefer east coast as Emma Field (when it will happen) will be on the West Coast.

So start flying and see where you think we could do something.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Some suggestions:

- Martha's Vineyard

- Buffalo (close to the Niagara Falls) ;)

- somewhere between Washington - Baltimore

- Miami

The only concern I have, that there is hardly any scenery available (except UTX) for nice VFR Flying (maybe the reason why Emma Fields Starts in the Nortwest?)

So why not down under?

I think it is good planning Mathias. I would suggest Hamilton FIeld(SRF in FS) for reasons stated in my original post,ie good size, unique architecture, history, location, quality of flying(for all types...soaring, aerobatics, seaplanes, choppers, GA, military, airliners, cargo...etc), proximity to diverse geographical features, potential for building plots, temperate weather...etc.

Although Hamilton is on the west coast, it offers alot of functionality that Andras does. I would imagine there are some good places on the east coast as well. Some place with mountains and water in close proximity. Actually you already have an 'airpark' in your Chicago scenery, could always put some plots there lol. The Caribbean offers some good posiblities too, ie Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, San Maarten...etc Hawaii would be lovely but it is a little isolated, you either fly locally or you need 2500nm range

Anyway hope you finda good place :)

Cheers

TJ

I think North Carolina would be great.

To the north it is quick to Virginia, Washington DC, New York, Boston and up to Canada (Toronto, Montreal). T

To the south it is quick to South Carolina, Georgia with Atlanta, Florida and up in the south west to Alabama and Louisiana with New Orleans

You know Mathias, being on the same side of the country as Emma might be a good thing. It is about 570 miles direct between the Bay Area and the Seattle area. That is a 3-5 hour trip or so in your average GA plane. That is far away enough to be out of their 'turf' but close enough for commuting/x-country trips and possiblites for joint sessions/events between the two...ie both clubs meet halfway at some scenic place. If Emma won't have housing plots like Andras, perhaps their members would like to buy a plot and commute. One of the beautiful things of Andras is it offers room for so many types of flying. Emma looks beautiful but it is more limited gliders and small bush/GA flying. It might not be as accessable to the heavier iron/warbirds, IFR fans. Emma members might like to be near their home but have place to 'live' and do their IFR stuff.

Anyway, just some more ideas :)

edit...I agree with Falling, NC would be a good East Coast location, we could have a place near Kill Devil Hills and honor the Wright Brothers :)

what about having more than one place? in FS we seem to all be virtual billionaires with the virtual equipment we fly, and since we have virtual billions of dollars of equipment in our virtual hangars, we might have more than a few virtual houses lol :lol: Say start on a place on the East Coast or Caribbean, and then by the time that place is finished we will see if Emma has been done or not and then maybe work on a west coast place like Hamilton or a PNW type location. I don't think members who live at Andras would be just limited to that field, they might also like to have a second or third place, some place that might offer better flying seasonally than the other. Over time you might offer places in several locations around the world allowing us to all be a 'community' with many possiblities for group events. Also thinking in the long term, we might be able to merge this community idea into the next version of MS Flight or if the Aerosoft native Flightsim idea is pursued.

Another idea, what about adding a few housing plots to sceneries already created such as Tahiti, Lukla, Dillingham, Dutch Harbor...etc. Or maybe not individual plots but a club hangar/FBO to those places so we can make meeting/stop over spots :)

Cheers

TJ

How about Dillant Hopkins Field, Keene New Hampshire, USA (or environs)

Why?

Well, as beautiful as south Florida is (and it is indeed very "tropical" and wonderful), it is nonetheless very flat. Additionally, with the exception of the Everglades, south Florida presents an environment that is thoroughly developed, built up and unvaried.

Keene New Hampshire, however, is ideally located in the northeast New England region of the US and is nearby widely varying and beautiful terrain. The Green Mountains of Vermont are nearby, as are the Berkshire Mountains and the Appalachian Mountains- a good jaunt south. Not far away are the "Finger Lakes" of New York, a beautiful resort area with many [smaller] GA airports nearby (much soaring is done out of Elmira, and the Great Lakes are not far either. Several larger cities with their respective airports are also within reasonable flying time including, among others, Rochester, NY; Logan, Boston, MA; LaGuardia & JFK, NY; Newark, NJ and many others. Montreal is not so very far, nor is Toronto. Then, as was mentioned in preceding posts, there are such wonderful destinations off the New England cost as Martha's Vineyard, MA; Nantucket, MA; Block Island, RI; Montauk Point, Long Island, NY and so many others. This last group is especially picturesque in that there is some flying over very modest distances of water yielding much for sightseeing, etc.

Anyway, food for thought!

• Upvote 2

and how about province town? Close to NY, Boston etc.

Let's add google earth bookmarks to these posts so we can see what we are talking about.

That's not a bad place, Mathijs. I like the near beach :)

But I still think North Carolina would be great. As I have described there a many ways to the north and to the south.

I found a nice place. Bay Creek Airport.

Google Maps says there is an airport - but there is nothing ;). So, time to build one :)

Look: Bay Creek Aiport

This is one of many options :)

My Vote goes for Smith Mountain Lake, not only is the name awesome :unsure: but it has mountains :D . Its also nice and convenient for Richmond, Washington, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Charlotte and a bit furhter afield Atalnta. Oh and there's already an airport we could erm steal I mean borrow.

Click me !!!

• Upvote 1

The other airports mentioned, I agree would be good locations.... but Atlanta? I would rather have a sharp stick in my eye, than go anywhere near that place. In fact, when I travel, I pay extra to avoid even changing flights there. It is a rat race on steroids.....

NC

The other airports mentioned, I agree would be good locations.... but Atlanta? I would rather have a sharp stick in my eye, than go anywhere near that place. In fact, when I travel, I pay extra to avoid even changing flights there. It is a rat race on steroids.....

NC

*shrugs* I dont know, I live the correct side of the pond :lol: I was mearly picking names of citys it was close to off google maps lol.

*shrugs* I dont know, I live the correct side of the pond :lol: I was mearly picking names of citys it was close to off google maps lol.

Oh, I can appreciate that! I definitely like your suggestions! I live about 2 hours from Atlanta, and rarely ever go there. The traffic is cutthroat! I live way out in the country, and enjoy the peace and quiet!

Pete

Oh, I can appreciate that! I definitely like your suggestions! I live about 2 hours from Atlanta, and rarely ever go there. The traffic is cutthroat! I live way out in the country, and enjoy the peace and quiet!

Pete

I live about an hour from London and never go there either. Terrible traffic on really poor roads.

I've Just been looking at a resevoir out your way, but its a bit tight with a Catalina :angry: , not too far from Gilmor Co. Airport. I agree with you, Ft Myers is nice, being one of the few places Ive been to on that side of the pond, but its similar to where I live, flat and all looks the same when you fly over it. But a lot warmer than the fens :lol:

Edit heres another link

Click me

My Vote goes for Smith Mountain Lake, not only is the name awesome :unsure: but it has mountains :D . Its also nice and convenient for Richmond, Washington, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Charlotte and a bit furhter afield Atalnta. Oh and there's already an airport we could erm steal I mean borrow.

Click me !!!

Yeah I like that :) What about Block Island of the coast of Long Island here an idea of how that should look

post-31925-032847300 1285690949_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Dillant Hokins (EEN or KEEN)- Keene, New Hampshire, USA.kmz

Mt. Snow Airport (4V8)- Mt. Snow, Vermont, USA.kmz

and how about province town? Close to NY, Boston etc.

Let's add google earth bookmarks to these posts so we can see what we are talking about.

Hi all,

Well, Provincetown is a great idea too. My only thought was that Keene, NH is in some exceptionally beautiful countryside, with breathtaking mountain views; and that it is centrally located as well. The Great Lakes of the US are nearby, as are the beautiful Canadian cities of Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City. In many ways it presents the feel of a "cousin" 'in flavor' to Andras, Germany.

I took a flight around there just a short while ago from Dillant Hopkins (IATA: EEN, or ICAO: KEEN) over to Mount Snow Airport over in the Green Mountains of Vermont (a beautiful 30 mile hop) and it was great fun. In a sense, Keene finds itself in the center of, not only wonderful coastal destinations such as Provincetown, Martha's Vineyard and Block Island, but of terrific urban destinations as well, including Buffalo, Rochester, Toronto, New York, Montreal and even, for those more inclined for a little bit of a longer trip, Chicago, Detroit and many others.

In case you wish to give it a try, above I have attached some Google Earth placemarks for these two places. Happy flying!! :)