FS FK combined usage FSX / FS9

elsmoko

I've found that FSFK easily/automatically connects to both FSX and FS9 and seems to function perfectly; however

I have a few questions:

1. Is this "by design"?

2. If "by design" how does FSFK resolve the FSX or FS9 Nav Data Bases?

3. When scenery changes are made to FSX or FS9 how do we properly update the correct FSFK Map Data Base?

4. Or, when using FSFK with both FSX and FS9 on the same PC, must FSFK be installed twice (once for FSX

and again for FS9) to enable proper individual management of their Map Data Bases, etc?

Many thanks for this fine program,

Ken Boardman

Hello Ken,

Theres a useful Help file that comes with this program that will more than explain a lot of what your asking, its called FSFK.chm

It can be found in the following folder.

C:\Program Files\FS Flight Keeper\Help

Maybe a look though that may help you.

I looked through the "Help" and Readme files before uploading my questions. It's possible

(though not likely) that I missed it. If you know where this info is in the files (or

can find it) please tell me where. If not, please suggest where I can go for the answers.

Thank you,

Ken Boardman

I looked through the "Help" and Readme files before uploading my questions. It's possible

(though not likely) that I missed it. If you know where this info is in the files (or

can find it) please tell me where. If not, please suggest where I can go for the answers.

Thank you,

Ken Boardman

Shaun? You there ~:) ??

Guest Hodge001

Hi

When you first start FSFK it will start in the mode for the last session of FS9 or FSX, so to check or change the flightsim version you can on the first stat up of FSFK click on the File/Options tab on the top too; bar and this will open a new window named General Options in which you will have the option of which flight simulator FSFK will use by clicking on the Files/Folders tab, in the top entry of Flight Simulator Main Folder you will find either the full path to your FS9 or FSX installation, this is where you can change the filghtsimulator that you which to use by clicking the arrow that should be to the right of the installation path which should open a drop down box with the alternate install path for either FS9 or FSX depending on which version was previously in use.

Be aware that some changes to FSFK have to be made at the initial start up of FSFK, as some options become unavailable once FSFK has been started.

You may however have to run the rebuild navigation database tool to ensure that the scenery files are up to date, it would be worth doing anyway just to be sure.

And that should be it, you may have noticed that I used the word should on a few occasions, that is due to the fact that although I do have both simulators installed I only use FSFK with my FSX installation, but the basic principle should be OK.

I hope it helps.

Jim Hodkinson

Thank you for the detailed explanation Jim. You have given me much to work with and I will reply to this thread

following some testing of procedures. I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but FYI I was very pleasantly surprised

by how easily FSFK connects with whichever FS is started and it just adds the (FSX or FS9) log for the flight to

the logbook seamlessly. FSFK even loads the correct scenery database based on which FS (FSX or FS9) has been started.

My only concern was with how to properly update the databases for each Sim after a change has been made to the FSX

or FS9 scenery collection.

Best regards,

Ken Boardman

Hello Ken,

If you had gone through the help file you would have seen how the databases were held etc.

I know its a long process but some of the things you dont need to worry about Flight Keeper will look after them.

If you need to update databases etc then you dont need to know how it stores them but just how to update so you could use the search on the Help file :)

If you search for the terms in bold update scenery the search will find "Flight simulator scenery" you then select this and it then tells you all you need to know about updating after installing scenery and the navigational database.

I think that I've got it mastered now ~:)

I was making it wayyyy more difficult than it actually is.

I did not notice the "Down Arrow" in the Options

Dialog that allows for switching the focus of FSFK

from FSX to FS9 (or FS9 to FSX) and that Down Arrow

will allow for successfully updating either

of the Databases any time it becomes necessary.

Recommend that a short paragraph be added early in

the Users Guide, Readme file or both in plain German,

English, French and Martian, etc. Reading the forums

it seems I'm not the only FSFK user who has shown

concern for this and had problems finding the necessary

answer in the Docs'.

Thanks to all who responded.

Best regards,

Ken Boardman