Twotter - Modern 300 - Altimeter settings

raymar

Twin Otter v 1.11 fsx

Can anyone tell me how to set the altimeter using In Hg instead of millibars? US only gives it as 29.92 or 29.30 not 1013 or 992 mb. Searched, read manual, clicked, fiddled, can't find the secret code. Tired of ATC jumping my case by being 300 feet high or low because I can't figure out how to set the proper altimeter setting.

thanks.

RayM

just try key "B" for automatic Baro-setting. if it won't work, search on google for calculating In Hg to millibars and back.

Its not a problem for Automatic. Heck I can remember one number. The problem is the 300 - 400 feet of equiv. pressure changes during a flight. I don't need a conversion chart at the ready all the time. This is just the first addon that didn't have a switch between mb and In hg or two knobs. What I need a the method of switching from mb to In Hg for setting the altimeter. Thanks.

RayM

Its not a problem for Automatic. Heck I can remember one number. The problem is the 300 - 400 feet of equiv. pressure changes during a flight. I don't need a conversion chart at the ready all the time. This is just the first addon that didn't have a switch between mb and In hg or two knobs. What I need a the method of switching from mb to In Hg for setting the altimeter. Thanks.

RayM

I have the proper answer - the altimeter apparently only has millibars as the single method of setting the pressure reading, however, the installed KLN-90b GPS has a readout for the altimeter setting in In Hg. How convenient is that. Just a note Shaun, the next update of the manual should reflect this. I just stumbed on this as I was on final for KMOB tonight.

Thanks guys for a great plane.

RayM

Hell RayM,

Searching the doc for Baro brings its up quite a few times!

Shaun, I do not understand what your statement above means. I too can find references to Baro.

What I can not find is how to set the altimeter using default fsx ATC altimeter settings, i.e. altimeter 30.10 or altimeter 29.67. I only find millibars, not a way to set it using In Hg. (world standard, is it not)

Thanks.

Ray

Shaun, I do not understand what your statement above means. I too can find references to Baro.

What I can not find is how to set the altimeter using default fsx ATC altimeter settings, i.e. altimeter 30.10 or altimeter 29.67. I only find millibars, not a way to set it using In Hg. (world standard, is it not)

Thanks.

Ray

Hit the `B` key. Hitting the key is only the same as twiddling a knob, sim-wise... If I may say, you seem to be going out of your way to make things complicated for yourself. Think of the Twotter as big VFR GA plane with more friends in the back and it really is far, far easier! :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that if you hover the mouse pointer over the altimeter knob, the tooltip gives you the pressure setting in both formats.

Holdit

The problem is not the knowing the pressure setting, it is how to set it to the changing, current pressure. Unless one knows all the corresponding conversions and ATC only gives the reading in In Hg, and the Twotter can only be set using millibars. Duh?

Let say I take off on an IFR flight plan and the pressure is 29.92 (1013) and I fly for 20 minutes and Approach Control makes contact and states altimeter 29.57. I check the altimeter and it is set at 29.92, If I turn the adjustment knob it reads out in millibars, this is where I am having the difficulties. I need to set it to 29.57 but I can only see millibars adjustments.

The next transmission is from ATC stating that I am either 200 feet too high or 200 feet to low, because I do not have the correct altimeter setting.

Most, actually every one of my addons except the Twin Otter, has a choice of millibars or In hg or only has in hg.

Thanks.

Well, here's a couple of things you could try:

1. Print off this: http://www.pcwp.com/mb_conversion.html and keep it handy.

2. When you get the pressure setting from ATC, check it against what the tooltip shows. Twiddle up or down to adjust as required., although I think you'll have to re-hover the mouse pointer each time.

3. Create a mini-panel or use some other 2D panel with the Twotter that has suitable altimeter and make the change from there.

Only workarounds and not solutions I know, but with the "B" function available too it's hardly a showstopper - although I can appreciate why it might be an irritation.

Holdit

Well, here's a couple of things you could try:

1. Print off this: http://www.pcwp.com/mb_conversion.html and keep it handy.

2. When you get the pressure setting from ATC, check it against what the tooltip shows. Twiddle up or down to adjust as required., although I think you'll have to re-hover the mouse pointer each time.

3. Create a mini-panel or use some other 2D panel with the Twotter that has suitable altimeter and make the change from there.

Only workarounds and not solutions I know, but with the "B" function available too it's hardly a showstopper - although I can appreciate why it might be an irritation.

Holdit

Holdit, thanks for the conversion chart. I had made a much smaller one using a converter program - about every 5 millibars. Having the chart handy and using the B key should do it.

I now need to learn about handling turboprops, especially how to slow down the plane for an approach.

Thanks again.

Ray