Rudder in 1.20 not been solved ?

copilot767

This is an issue I highlighted alot during Beta; however in crosswind landings the Airbus seems to correct itself pretty well without pilot intervention on the rudder. Right or wrong it doesn't seem to be hindering Airbus X.

Chris

• Upvote 2

But that's with the assumption there's an ILS facility at the airport.....Gibraltar X has nothing except a beacon, so it's a follow the chart and eyeball the approach all the way. Rudders would be useful for that tight RW09 approach.....instead all is disconnected and we go in with full manual controls.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I'll have to say I'm a little puzzled about the questions on the forums concerning use of the rudder in AirbusX, especially for working a crosswind landing or tightening a pattern. For small aircraft, side slips are routinely used for cross wind landings, forward slips in lieu of flaps (or if not a limitation, to increase sink rate) and bush pilots may even endorse tightening a turn to final with a little judicious use of bottom rudder. That's not how you fly a transport category aircraft, however. Except for maintaining directional control in an engine-out scenario, you're in coordinated flight and the rudder pedals are almost footrests, thanks to the yaw damper. Deflections are small because the yaw damper stays ahead of things. You use a crab to counteract a crosswind and either kick it out at the last minute (if you're timing is great) or get the mains on and then kick it straight. Either one is of course below 100'. You'd never use rudder to tighten a turn.

Check the video here (probably a B777 and B747 max crosswind certification test) and you'll see how even brutal crosswinds are worked with a crab. Note the aircraft is in essentially coordinated flight.

B777 and 747 max x-wind (be patient for the vid to start)

Or this poor A320 driver at, I believe EDDH, and again you'll see the crab held until roundout (where the stuff hits the fan).

A320 at EDDH

Over-use of rudders in other situations has led to some serious stress on the airframe of some transport airplanes. And of course, there's the tragic American Airlines flight 587 A300 accident near KJFK. The US accident board ruled it was caused by overly aggressive use of the rudder. See their report here. AA 587 11/12/01

Now, if the idea is to see a full deflection of the flight controls at altitude, I suppose that's different. I'd say, "Why?" even knowing the answer is "Why not?":blush:

• Upvote 1

well more info on the crab-angel calculation in the attached picture an copy of some of my examinations paper try it in the calculator on the web page. but in some way discribed what happens: http://en.wikipedia....osswind_landing also find this at http://www.howtodoth...-in-a-crosswind importen here:

This first method commonly called the Crab method is done on final approach by turning the airplane into the wind so that the longitudinal axis of the aircraft is pointed into the wind, but the flight path of the airplane is maintaining its path along the extended centerline of the runway. Just as the airplane is then in roundout or flare, the airplane is turned to align the longitudinal axis of the airplane with the centerline of the runway. It is a little bit tricky in that all of the turning and aligning is happening in the last few seconds before the airplane touches down.

The second method is commonly referred to as the Wing Low method. This is also done on the final approach, but the longitudinal axis of the airplane is aligned with the extended centerline of the runway by holding the upwind wing low and maintaining the centerline with the rudder. This method is a little less hectic in that the airplane is aligned to the runway on final approach and maintaining its position with small corrections with more or less aileron and more or less rudder as the situation dictates. Either method can be used, but the Wing Low method has an advantage in that the pilot can see on final approach if the wind is too strong for the airplane, because if the wing is low but the rudder cannot maintain the centerline, then there is not enough control input to keep the airplane from drifting off centerline.

I only tryeid Wing Low method. in the real ATR simulator and works but hard as i should do visual approch. so rudder is only to corect the plane near the runway in a plane like the airbus i think not based on any dokumentation as the rudder is used some times yes to corect but only small amound as force is very useful therfor inflight use of to much rudder would make serious stress as told before in post above.

Here is an very nice site for all kind of calculation. If you want it the easy way as it calculate if you give it the right info: http://www.luizmonteiro.com/Wind.aspx

But it was a side step. sorry

over 100ft you can turn off FBW then you get back rudder control. just push the 3 buttons under FLT CTL found on the overhead.