Seahawk/Jayhawk Trim Button

brizzly

I did a search for this, and found only one lone unanswered thread:

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=36256&st=0&p=237032&hl=+trim%20+seahawk&fromsearch=1&#entry237032

I figured I would start my own. I would also like to know if it is possible to add the "Trim" button on the AFCS panel as a mappable button. In a real hawk (I fly Blackhawks, but the Seahawk is similiar enough in this regard), you have a cyclic trim release on the cyclic stick. If you press this button, it actually releases the trim while you move the controls to where you want them, and then re engages when you let go of the button to hold the controls in place with force gradient. I know it's hard to get the trim to work like this in FSX, although it would be awesome (DCS Black Shark does a great job of modeling helicopter trim), I would settle with this aircraft with being able to set the trim on and off as a toggle using the cyclic. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. So far this is the only Hawk I've been able to find, FSX, X-Plane or otherwise that you can somewhat fly instruments with a realistic guage setup. Thanks in advance.

Jason

I did a search for this, and found only one lone unanswered thread:

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=36256&st=0&p=237032&hl=+trim%20+seahawk&fromsearch=1&#entry237032

I figured I would start my own. I would also like to know if it is possible to add the "Trim" button on the AFCS panel as a mappable button. In a real hawk (I fly Blackhawks, but the Seahawk is similiar enough in this regard), you have a cyclic trim release on the cyclic stick. If you press this button, it actually releases the trim while you move the controls to where you want them, and then re engages when you let go of the button to hold the controls in place with force gradient. I know it's hard to get the trim to work like this in FSX, although it would be awesome (DCS Black Shark does a great job of modeling helicopter trim), I would settle with this aircraft with being able to set the trim on and off as a toggle using the cyclic. Anyway, any help would be appreciated. So far this is the only Hawk I've been able to find, FSX, X-Plane or otherwise that you can somewhat fly instruments with a realistic guage setup. Thanks in advance.

Jason

I'm pretty certain there's no native function such as you describe possible within FS. Trim is one thing that has always been badly modelled in the Flight Sim series and ironically, the mistake that they make is to provide a trim function that is a virtual control surface, but that won't work with helos.

For what you want to work, you need to find a helo equivalent of FS Force

http://www.fs-force.com/

It works with a force feedback controller to adjust the centre null and so reduce or increase the force felt on the stick. But of course this only works with a force feedback joystick, and is not properly implemented for helos.

Possibly the best source for information or guidance would be the helicopter-specific site:

http://www.hovercontrol.com/

As they have a number of adons to improve the flight modelling of helos, and it's possible they may be able to help.

I'm pretty certain there's no native function such as you describe possible within FS. Trim is one thing that has always been badly modelled in the Flight Sim series and ironically, the mistake that they make is to provide a trim function that is a virtual control surface, but that won't work with helos.

For what you want to work, you need to find a helo equivalent of FS Force

http://www.fs-force.com/

It works with a force feedback controller to adjust the centre null and so reduce or increase the force felt on the stick. But of course this only works with a force feedback joystick, and is not properly implemented for helos.

Possibly the best source for information or guidance would be the helicopter-specific site:

http://www.hovercontrol.com/

As they have a number of adons to improve the flight modelling of helos, and it's possible they may be able to help.

I appreciate the reply. I frequent Hovercontrol, although mostly as a lurker. Aside from DCS, I had pretty much written off helo simulation until I re-discovered my Seahawk X. Now I'm practicing instrument flights around Southern Germany using Aerosoft's VFR Germany South, which is great btw. I actually found my house on there. Anyway, my real question is, can we map the current trim button on the AFCS panel in the Seahawk/Jayhawk to a joystick button. I would currently like to just be able to do that, as it would add a lot more functionality to the aircraft as it stands.

Another idea would be to use a program that maps joystick buttons to mouse clicks at certain absolute positions. Then we could place the autopilot panel on a certain position on the screen and map some joystick button to the cooridnates of the trim button. Unfortunately I haven't yet found any program that can do this mapping. But it should be possible technically.

Another idea would be to use a program that maps joystick buttons to mouse clicks at certain absolute positions. Then we could place the autopilot panel on a certain position on the screen and map some joystick button to the cooridnates of the trim button. Unfortunately I haven't yet found any program that can do this mapping. But it should be possible technically.

Would that possibly work with Track IR?

Didn't find anything useable on the net. So I wrote a little utility myself. Available at: http://www.blueskysc...es/JoyMouse.zip

This lightweight program can map any joystick button to a mouse click anywhere on the screen.

No prob with Track IR. No performance hit.

* Open and undock the autopilot window

* Start JoyMouse.exe.

* Select your joystick in the combo box (if you have multiple game controllers).

* Click "Start".

* Press the joystick button. This defines the mapped button.

* Click on the "Trim" button in the autopilot window. Do not click anywhere else before you

click the "Trim" button because the first click after pressing the controller button

defines where the mapped mouse click occurs.

That's it. From now on the "Trim" button is pressed whenever you press the joystick button.

Needs the .NET runtime from Microsoft.

Do not move the autopilot window. If you do, you have to click "Stop", and then redefine the mapping by

repeating the above steps from clicking "Start".