Other Software besides Teamspeak Required?

Rusty flyer

Hi Folks,

Although I have enjoyed flight simming for some time, I have never flown "online" or in an internet-connected virtual environment. Thus, contrary to the thoughts of a few members within this thread, the prospect of doing so seems, to me anyway, daunting indeed. Some time ago, I had very briefly looked into VATSIM and had determined that, while it may not be so very difficult for me to familiarize myself with region-specific ATC procedures, it would nonetheless be very time-consuming to learn the specific requirements related to simming within the VATSIM virtual environment & community. Reading some of the comments posted by members in the thread leads me to believe that this need not necessarily be the case with VAE.

I saw reference made to the necessary Teamspeak download, but I saw only passing references to an interface called "SquakWin" as well. Is this something that I need in addition to Teamspeak? After visiting both respective websites it seemed to me that Teamspeak is the mechanism by which we will be able to communicate/speak with one another, but that SquakWin may be the mechanism by which the aircraft actually coexist simultaneously, and can be seen by others, in the [Andras Airpark] virtual environment. Am I understanding the process correctly? While VATSIM seems to have a base of reference materials that may be studied online, I did not locate a similar collection for VAE. Is there some reference material that I may read for VAE's online flying process in order that I may bring myself up to speed as quickly as possible?

I'm not looking for "War and Peace", maybe just a little something that outlines the one or two or three pieces of software that must be acquired, and a description of how they should be utilized toward working in concert to create the *common* virtual online environment that is both shared and viewed by all participants simultaneously. I am very much looking forward to tapping into the full potential of this wonderful venture, even if simply flying around Andras is incredibly wonderful in and of itself.

Thanks a bunch.

Hi Rusty,

Your assessment of the function of each of the software packages is quite correct. teamspeak for comms and SquawkWin to connect to the server so we can see each other (as well as show the correct aircraft to others when online ... there is an additional download for this - the VIP aircraft pack). I'm sure that Craig or someone from VAE posted a simple guide to this software on the Andras forum, but I can't find it.

I'm sure you've been on the VAE website anyway, but the detailed instructions can be found at ... http://www.virtual-aviation.org/main/server-information/server-handbookconnecting

Hope this helps and we see each other online soon.

Sim.