Suggestion for Viewports and key assignments

Schullebernd

I write this post into the global Airbus X Section, because there is no sub forum for discussing that.

So, yesterday i've bought the Airbus X and - with no comment - i just say, well done guyes. ;-)

But there is one thing I'de like to see a bit improved. It regards the view port and the related key assignment. I know it's the result of droping the 2D-panels, but i don't know why you have decided to assign the key as they are now.

To place corresponding view ports for replacing 2D panles is a very good idea but I think you should do this with a better key assignment.

I'de like to explain it.

The standard user of fsx knows the typical keys:

F9 -> 2D Panel

F10 -> VC

F11 -> External View

F12 -> Bird perspective

And for switching through the 2D panels he's using the SHIFT+1, -2, -3, ... combinations.

Why have you changed these assignment?

When I'm flying, I alway want to switch to the external view. You know, for taking screenshots or lookig around to see the nice VFR scenery. I don't want to press two or more keys to switch to a special view e.g. don't want to use mouse for switching the views. IT's simply unquickly.

I've seen that I get a message when using key combinations like SHFT+1,-2,-3,.. So, you're catching these events.

My suggestion. Would it be better to assign the following key combinations?

F9 -> GLARESHIELD MAINPANEL

F10 -> Standard VC View. Btw. At the moment you can't switch to this view with one key or you have to go via rightclick menu, which can be dangerous in stressfull situations.

F11 -> Standard External View

F12 -> Bird view

SHIFT+1 -> GLARESHIELD MAINPANEL

SHIFT+2 -> ECAM View

SHIFT+3 -> PEDASTAL View

SHIFT+4 -> OVERHEAD PANEL View

SHIFT+5 -> MCDU View

With these assignment you could switch to every view you want with one key press. And I think it would be easyear for everyone to come familiar with the new plane.

Greets

Marcel

We changed it because it seemed to us more important to be able to switch between the 4 main sections of the cockpit. But I do see your logic. I'll remember it for a new aircraft product.

Thanks for your reply Mathijs.

So, no chance to get my logic work on the Airbus X or at least is there a way to modify the config for my self?

I think you could switch to more views within less clicks/keys faster as now.

• Aerosoft

Thanks for your reply Mathijs.

So, no chance to get my logic work on the Airbus X or at least is there a way to modify the config for my self?

I think you could switch to more views within less clicks/keys faster as now.

The problem is that changing it now also means changing all manuals. videos etc that are needed with the boxed release. So I rather not touch it.

I'll be honest and say that I do not fully understand how it is done. I am sure however one of the readers here will know and should be willing to assist. Should not be too hard to so in the aircraft.cfg files.

The problem is that changing it now also means changing all manuals. videos etc that are needed with the boxed release. So I rather not touch it.

I'll be honest and say that I do not fully understand how it is done. I am sure however one of the readers here will know and should be willing to assist. Should not be too hard to so in the aircraft.cfg files.

Ahh, ok, I understand...

I'll look to the aircraft.cfg and will try to modify it. Hope this is the only modification point

Ok, i got it. It's quite simply.

The trick is to assign the 3D camera view ports to the hotkeys 5. - 9. In the standard camera.cfg (fsx options folder) there are 4 Standard camera view ports defined.

Virtual Cockpit = F9 = Hotkey 1

2D-Cockpit = F10 = Hotkey 2

Outside view = F11 = Hotkey 3

Bird view/Camera 4 = F12 = Hotkey 4

1. The first thing you have to change are the Hotkeys for the camera perspectives in FSX key assignment menu. Change the Hotkey for camera 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. I've set the following assignments:

Camera 5 = STRG + SHIFT + 1

Camera 6 = STRG + SHIFT + 2

Camera 7 = STRG + SHIFT + 3

Camera 8 = STRG + SHIFT + 4

Camera 9 = STRG + SHIFT + 5 

You could also use only SHIFT + [digit], but this would override the keys for the 2D-panel views and is not recommended if you want to fly other planes with 2D-Panels. So STRG+SHIFT+[digit] is a nice alternative. 2. Open the aircraft.cfg with an editor (notepad, notepad++,...) and scroll down to the section with the camera definitions (For the Airbus 321 CFM it starts on line 527. At the end of the first camera definition [CAMERADEFINITION.000] ("GLARESHIELD MAIN PANEL") you'll find the line Hotkeyselect = 1. And this is the sticking point. Set the following options to the camera definitions

[CAMERADEFINITION.000]

Hotkeyselect = 2

[CAMERADEFINITION.001]

Hotkeyselect   = 9

[CAMERADEFINITION.002]

Hotkeyselect   = 6

[CAMERADEFINITION.003]

Hotkeyselect   = 7

[CAMERADEFINITION.004]

Hotkeyselect   = 8

Out comment all other lines with Hotkeyselect = x at all other camera definitions by putting in two // at the start of the line. Save the file -> Start FSX -> Load the Aircraft -> And it should work. You have now the following key assignment
F9 = Virtual Cockpit

F10 = GLARESHIELD MAIN PANEL

F11 = Outside view

F12 = Bird view

STRG + SHIFT + 2 = ECAM VIEW 

STRG + SHIFT + 3 = PEDESTAL VIEW

STRG + SHIFT + 4 = OVERHEAD VIEW

STRG + SHIFT + 5 = MCDU VIEW

This will give you nearly a standard panel switching function.

Ok, i got it. It's quite simply.

ou have now the following key assignment

F9 = Virtual Cockpit

F10 = GLARESHIELD MAIN PANEL

F11 = Outside view

F12 = Bird view

STRG + SHIFT + 2 = ECAM VIEW 

STRG + SHIFT + 3 = PEDESTAL VIEW

STRG + SHIFT + 4 = OVERHEAD VIEW

STRG + SHIFT + 5 = MCDU VIEW

This will give you nearly a standard panel switching function.

Nice work Schullebernd, maybe we can come up with 4 additional near standard VC views for SHIFT + 6, +7, +8, and SHIFT + 9. Why not use them while we are reassigning?

You could always add a window for the Garmin 500 among other choices.

RayM

Nice work Schullebernd, maybe we can come up with 4 additional near standard VC views for SHIFT + 6, +7, +8, and SHIFT + 9. Why not use them while we are reassigning?

You could always add a window for the Garmin 500 among other choices.

RayM

Thanks RayM

And yes, you could also do this for the key combination SHIFT+6,+7,+8,+9. It's your choise.

The main principle is the following.

There are 10 Hotkeys defined in the FSX System called HotKeySelect 1,2,3,...,10.

These Hotkeys have corresponding names in the Key Assignment menu of the FSX Options.

HK 1 = Virtual Cockpit

HK 2 = 2D-Cockpit Panel

HK 3 = Outside view (fixed observer)

HK 4 = Camera 4 / Bird view

HK 5 = Camera 5

HK 6 = Camera 6

HK 7 = Camera 7

HK 8 = Camera 8

HK 9 = Camera 9

HK 10 = Camera 0

With this knownledge you can assign every cameradefinition to any key combination. Simple assign keys for Camera 0 - 9, VC, Outside, 2D-Cockpit in the fsx options key assignment menu.

Now edit an aircraft.cfg and set HotKeySelect = x to the [CAMERADEFINITION.xxx]. For example:

Assign Camera 5 to SHIRFT + 7. You've just assigne SHIFT + 7 to the Hotkey 5. Now edit the aircraft.cfg and look for the camera definition you wish to activate if you press SHIFT + 7. Insert/Change the Option HotKeySelect = 5 into/in the camera definition.

And it will work.