For those who fly in Orbx PNW (part 2: one map to replace them all)

tup61

A week or so ago I posted a pdf with some 27 'cards' with all the PNW airports that had ILS, meant for those that like to fly the Airbus in Orbx's PNW. A few days later I added a map showing all those airports. After using it all myself for a week now, I found out it's a bit odd to land with the Airbus 320 on airports that are only meant for GA or that only have small gates or short runways... happy.gif And that stack of printed cards wasn't very easy to handle.

So I made ONE new map that replaces (for me at least) the 27 cards AND the map. This one only shows airports that have ILS but also a medium gate, so airports that could have the Airbus on visit in real life (don't know if they actually do, but it's possible). All the relevant information is on this map (A4 size) so no more fiddling around with various cards and maps and what not. happy.gif Obviously this map has a lot less airports on it, which is a pity, but at least you will get a more realistic experience flying to only these airports. sleep.gif

Here is a jpg preview: the pdf obviously is better for printing!

1284794548.jpg

PNW_airports_ILS_medium_gate_map.pdf

A week or so ago I posted a pdf with some 27 'cards' with all the PNW airports that had ILS, meant for those that like to fly the Airbus in Orbx's PNW. A few days later I added a map showing all those airports. After using it all myself for a week now, I found out it's a bit odd to land with the Airbus 320 on airports that are only meant for GA or that only have small gates or short runways... happy.gif And that stack of printed cards wasn't very easy to handle.

So I made ONE new map that replaces (for me at least) the 27 cards AND the map. This one only shows airports that have ILS but also a medium gate, so airports that could have the Airbus on visit in real life (don't know if they actually do, but it's possible). All the relevant information is on this map (A4 size) so no more fiddling around with various cards and maps and what not. happy.gif Obviously this map has a lot less airports on it, which is a pity, but at least you will get a more realistic experience flying to only these airports. sleep.gif

J van E, I think you used faulty or limiting logic for your PNW Bus routes. A quick check of Comex CYQQ finds that not only do real Airbus' fly into their airport daily, the cargo area can handle even larger aircraft. The same is true for the KNUW NAS at Whidbey Island, they can certainly handle military charters using the A320. There are probably others that were eliminated by using the medium gate limiter. (The website for Comex actually shows an AirCanada Airbus in the picture)

I would think if the runway is long enough for the landing weight, you could always assume they will have portable stairs for embarking and deplaneing and a large enough ramp to handle the flight. KTCM McChord AFB comes to mind. They can most certainly handle any Airbus that chooses the land there.

Another thought, is that we can use your PNW ILS airports as destinations only and originate flights most anyplace. I like the flight from KSFO to KSEA flying up the western coastline. At FL350 the scenery looks pretty good for the entire trip and the landing is PNW at its best. San Francisco KSFO is one of the better fsx default airport for departure.

Anyway, thanks for your continued work and for sharing all these nifty additions with us.

RayM

J van E, I think you used faulty or limiting logic for your PNW Bus routes

LOL Let's start working on yet another map...!! :lol:

Well, I simply looked in FSX which airports had a medium gate and presumed the others couldn't handle an Airbus. I think you can call that limiting logic indeed... :D Maybe there is an online source which tells us where Airbusses land in real life and we can settle this for once and for all...? ^_^

One more faulty map and I've made a complete fool of myself... :P But that's not a problem. I like to work at things like these, just for the fun of it. ;)

J van E,

Probably, one of the real Airbus drivers or someone closely associated with Airbus could come up with a link or two to help to figure it out.

But, for a start, I don't worry too much about the gate because there are still several major airports that use open ramp deboarding ( and Trams) in peak periods just because they have more arrivals than gates available at peak. Atlanta has been doing this for 30 years.

I use ATC, then get myself in position for the ILS or approach of my choice and request an IFR clearance. Seems to work most every time. You can always execute a missed approach at some the smaller airports that have limited facilities but does have a published approach.

I think these things are always going to be under revision. I just put a date or rev # on it and move on. My interests change daily, I have been flying the MV-22 for the last 24 hours. That is a switch.

Ray

Yes, I don't have any problems taking off or landing on any of the ILS-equipped airports in PNW, but it would be nice to land where Airbusses actually do land in real life. ^_^ It's no big deal, but right now that's what I am interested in. I might be interested in something totally different next week... :D I am usually rather fanatic about something for some time and then suddenly something else gets my attention...

OK, I going to google this stuff today. So far, I found

Jet Blue flys A320 from KSEA and KPDX to Long Beach CA (among many other places) almost daily.

Air Canada flys A320 from KSEA and CYVR, and CYYJ. I will keep checking AC for more PNW airports.

U.S. Airways flys A320 to/from CYVR, KSEA, KPDX

I will check the other airlines and edit this post.

Ray

How about helping us fill out this chart?

post-27494-033856600 1284751825_thumb.jp

Thanks! I also googled a little and could only find the airports that are on the map right now. Would be nice if there are a few more!
I'm searching by Airline then picking the destination or origination airport, getting the flight number, then google it for Airline Equipment flight #???. Most show in the search header what Airbus is used. This is a neat website - pick the A320 for each Airline for a start then you can follow it for the routes. http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air_Berlin/Air_Berlin_Airbus_A320-200.php

post-27494-081612900 1284756191_thumb.jp

post-27494-072691000 1284749846_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

My goodness.... that's a lot of work!!! :o;)

Agreed. If we are just talking FSX, then you can land any A32x anywhere with a 6,000ft runway, and MTOW takeoff (at sea level) needs 7,500ft.

Handy (public domain) reference here