My personal procedure- and checklist

tup61

EDIT 27 September 2010

I uploaded the new Airbus X procedure- and checklist panels 1_20.pdf (as promised) because one button has been added to the list (EXPED) and another has been removed (A/SKID & N/W STRG).

I also uploaded a new version of the checklist itself (still called 1.20) because I found out there were a few (minor) differences between the released version and the beta on which the previous version was based. Due to this a few lines have been removed or moved to another position and I added some information to the (optional) use of the EXPED button.

I think this will be my final version for 1.20. I didn't mean to make a perfect procedure- and checklist but simply one that works for me and this one does. Hope it works for others too.

P.S. I removed the download links for all previous versions, but added the amount of downloads to the end of the post, just for my own fun. sleep.gif

EDIT 24 September 2010

Version 1.20 (to keep it in sync with the actual version of the Airbus X) of my personal procedure- and checklist has been uploaded (Airbus X procedure- and checklist 1_20.pdf). The new version of the Airbus X comes with a new approach mode which 1. is awesome and 2. changes the procedures during approach drastically: hence my new pdf which will let you fly with the new 1.20 version with ease. I hope. ^_^

One sad thing: I also updated the panels pdf because in the new version I use the EXPED button. However, I forgot to make a copy of it and now I can't get to it before monday... (too difficult to explain the details -_- ). But that shouldn't really be a problem: just remember some of the numbers on the first panel picture should be shifted. And once you know where the buttons etc. are, you don't really need that panels pdf anymore. ^_^ Still, I'll post that panels pdf on monday asap.

P.S. I just noticed the A/SKID & N/W STRG switch is ON by default with this new 1.20 installer, so you can forget about that entry in the checklist!

EDIT 21 September 2010 Version 1.1 of my personal procedure- and checklist has been uploaded (Airbus X procedure- and checklist 1_1.pdf). I spend a week or so on perfecting it (with input from a few real life pilots, although it must be noted that procedures differ a lot between companies and even between pilots of the same company!). There are lots of changes and additions to make the experience even better and more realistic, so go get it. ^_^ I kept the original pdf available for those who want to check the differences. wink.gif

Original opening post:

I made a procedure- and checklist for my own use and would like to share it with you all.

A few advantages of my checklist are:

- it only contains the things you have to do to get from a cold and dark cockpit to the exact same cold and dark cockpit after landing (a lot of steps have been removed so it's hard to miss a step)

- it is complete as far as possible (a few missing steps have been added)

- steps are grouped per section/page as much as possible (so you don't have to switch views back and forth all the time)

- everything is named exactly as you see it in the cockpit and there is an additional pdf which shows each and every knob/switch/lever that's used in my list (so you can't be mistaken about what knob you have to use)

- the order of things have changed for a better workflow (1. to prevent having to do too much when you don't have the time for it and 2. to make sure you do things when you need to do them and 3. because this particular order simply works best for me ^_^ )

- it's easy to read (larger font)

- it brings you into states that are the same as you can load (apart from one or two minor settings which were not mentioned in the tutorial)

- it leaves you with a cold and dark cockpit which is exactly the same as the one you loaded at the start

It isn't an official and realistic procedure- and checklist: it's divided in a way you will never see on an official real life procedure- and checklist. But that's no problem because it is made for the Airbus X and not the real one.

For a newbie it still may be a bit hard to grasp, because you do need some basic knowledge about for instance how to enter things into the MCDU, so keep the official manuals close.

PLEASE let me know if I made any big mistakes. (I got a little crazy when I had to enter all those numbers so it wouldn't surprised me if I made a mistake here and there. tongue.gif ) I assume I made a few not too realistic decisions in order to keep the workflow smooth but I did it the way I did in order to get safely from A to B and for ME it works, so... hopefully it also does for others. wink.gif

Have fun!

Airbus X procedure- and checklist 1.pdf

Number of downloads: 326

Airbus X procedure- and checklist panels.pdf

Number of downloads: 293

Airbus X procedure- and checklist 1_1.pdf

Number of downloads: 90

Airbus X procedure- and checklist 1_20.pdf (beta version)

Number of downloads: 78

Airbus X procedure- and checklist panels 1_20.pdf

Airbus X procedure- and checklist 1_20.pdf

• Upvote 2

Thats great Jeroen! Now I dont want to be picky but if you want to make it even better it would be great if each picture was on its own page. Also if you want to make it totaly idiot proof, write a key for each picture so the user can learn the buttons and switches without having to refer to the checklists. No problems if you dont want to do this as I appreciate the work you have already put into it.

Looks perfect! I'll give it a try today evening

As at seems that you are doing Aerosoft's job, they should give you a free download!

Thanks, but it's Aerosoft's job to make a rather realistic list and that's what they did. I just made my personal version of it and I am sure that if this would have been the official list, people would have complained about it not being realistic enough and missing all the (not mandatory) steps... happy.gif You can never please everybody.

Thats great Jeroen! Now I dont want to be picky but if you want to make it even better it would be great if each picture was on its own page. Also if you want to make it totaly idiot proof, write a key for each picture so the user can learn the buttons and switches without having to refer to the checklists. No problems if you dont want to do this as I appreciate the work you have already put into it.

Thanks again. I am afraid I will leave the pictures as they are (way too much time spend on it all already tongue.gif ) and making them bigger would mean I have to re-order all the numbers and lines again (because I would never simply blow everything up: I want all little squares and lines to be the exact same size. laugh.gif ) And also: it's only meant to guide people: they have to look in the actual VC for the real knobs: imho it's not needed to be able to read everything on the screenshots in the pdf (that's why I didn't make any problems of the lines and numbers covering stuff): I made it to give people a hint on where to look in the sim.

I don't really understand what you mean with 'write a key for each picture'...?

No problem with keeping the pictures the same size Jeroen. What I meant for a key for each picture was just a list with each number saying what switch it pertained to so one could learn the switches without having to refer to the checklists but I realise this is probably beyond what you envisaged for this doc.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Maybe I misunderstand you, but didn't he already do that:

For example: Preliminary Cockpit Preparation 2nd column "C-2" refers to picture "C - Overhead) numbering(bullet) 2

Or do you think about a list saying

A1 = Master Warn + Master Caut

A2 = Baro Knob

A3 = FD/ILS button

A2 = Baro Knob

A3 = FD/ILS button

Yes, thats what I meant. Just something to help the newbies learn a bit more.

What I meant for a key for each picture was just a list with each number saying what switch it pertained to so one could learn the switches without having to refer to the checklists but I realise this is probably beyond what you envisaged for this doc.

A2 = Baro Knob

A3 = FD/ILS button

Yes, that's what Stewart means, I think. I didn't think about adding that, really... I guess because the pictures are only added to make the list more clear. It's not meant (or at least made) to be used apart. I could add it as yet another page happy.gif but imho the problem would be that the list would be far from complete. After all, I ONLY shows the things that are actually mentioned in the checklist! Adding descriptions to the pictures and making them sort of stand alone, would be a bit deceptive imho: it wouldn't offer what people would expect...? But that's just my idea...

Personally I think (but that's my experience) that once you have found and used a specific button, you won't for get it anymore. At least that's how it worked/works with me. wink.gif So I think using the checklist and the pictures once will make the picture obsolete (which isn't a problem at all). And imho it's better to learn where the knobs are in the sim itself than to learn it on a piece of paper.

But if 'everyone' would like to see the description added, I'll do it. sleep.gif

EDIT;

O, Stewart typed while I was typing... wink.gif

Great document Jeroen.

Is it Ok if I Pin it (fix it at the top of this forum) ?

Best

Finn

Thanks! And of course it's okay to pin it! smile.gif (And I wouldn't mind if someone 'official' would have a look at it to see if I didn't make important mistakes! happy.gif )

thanks for the list.

I am pressing HDG after autopilot on, for managed lateral. Only because it was previously set to runway heading - selected.

Is there another way because I didn't see that particular step.

Thanks again,

Nolan

thanks for the list.

I am pressing HDG after autopilot on, for managed lateral. Only because it was previously set to runway heading - selected.

Is there another way because I didn't see that particular step.

Thanks again,

Nolan

Well, I made the list for the way I fly and I usually fly with FSX ATC (otherwise it gets a bit boring :P ). You can switch to managed lateral navigation anytime you want to: I didn't add a step for that because I seldom fly that way. You have to adapt the list a bit to your own way if using the sim. ;) Obviously my way of doing things isn't THE way! It's just one way that works for me and might work for some others too. Or it might help them finding their own way. ^_^

Understood. I haven't fired up my Radar Contact on this one yet.

I was thinking more for absolute newbies, for completeness. And now I read that you mentioned newbies would need the manual for such things... my brain has cobwebs I think. :blink:

The list is very easy to follow, by the way. I haven't been using lists much (only for review, I learn by forgetting and facing the consequences) but I used your list on the cold and dark start-up.

I was thinking more for absolute newbies, for completeness. And now I read that you mentioned newbies would need the manual for such things... my brain has cobwebs I think. :blink:

LOL Well, as I said, I made this list for myself: I almost always make checklists like this for any (none GA) plane I have. I like lists as short as possible but also with as much things as possible to make it a bit more realistic (the experience, not the list). Things that are turned on at one time should be turned off later on imho. happy.gif And I like to smoothen the workflow. All for fun. But I also like to make something nice of those lists and print it. And when you've spend all that time on it, it would be a pity not to share it with others. That's one reason for posting it here.

But because my list usually is very to the point (even though it adds things for completeness sake) I also think it can be very helpful for beginners. I know that because I also make the list for my own future use: I found out that when you don't fly a certain plane for quite some time (which is bound to happen) and you would like to fly it again, you sometimes have to learn things all over again: you are a newbie once more. And I found out that my 'short' lists help me to get into the plane almost immediately, because it simply shows all I need to know to get flying. So it must help absolute newbies too, I think. And that's the second reason for posting it here. smile.gif

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Jeroen,

had a sucessful flight yesterday evevning with your checklist. Worked for me very well. And this time had a fine landing without Sarajewo Approach ;)

Thanks for your work!

Question: Do you start up FSX with the Cessna and load thereafter the Airbus?

I do have the Cessna as my default plane (the one you see at the free flight menu when you start FSX). I always switch to the Airbus X on that menu. I do not start the flight and then switch. What I wouldn't do is to have another addon airplane as your default airplane and then switch to the Airbus. If you only fly the Airbus, you might as well make a default flight with it so you don't have to select it at all anymore.

I have added the great new help files from Jeroen to the order history page of all users and also to the FAQs' and Update sections.

Wow, what an honor! :)

I was planning to do a small update btw, but nothing too important (I changed WING and RWY TURN OFF procedures a little (still not too sure about those ^_^ ), changed COST INDEX to 50 (80 was too much) and added a comment to the TO-FLEX TO (that you should only use it when doing a FLEX take off). So nothing serious. Maybe I will wait and see if the new version will have an effect on my list somehow. I'll post it here if I made my next version. -_-

EDIT

LOL I noticed (on the order history page) that my name seems to be 'Jeroen van Erp'. It isn't, actually (did I type that somewhere? :D ): maybe you could change it into simply 'Jeroen'. Or 'J van E' (since I am 'known' under that name on various (flightsim)forums. No big deal, btw, I could get used to van Erp. :P

• Aerosoft

I do have the Cessna as my default plane (the one you see at the free flight menu when you start FSX). I always switch to the Airbus X on that menu. I do not start the flight and then switch. What I wouldn't do is to have another addon airplane as your default airplane and then switch to the Airbus. If you only fly the Airbus, you might as well make a default flight with it so you don't have to select it at all anymore.

Wow, what an honor! :)

I was planning to do a small update btw, but nothing too important (I changed WING and RWY TURN OFF procedures a little (still not too sure about those ^_^ ), changed COST INDEX to 50 (80 was too much) and added a comment to the TO-FLEX TO (that you should only use it when doing a FLEX take off). So nothing serious. Maybe I will wait and see if the new version will have an effect on my list somehow. I'll post it here if I made my next version. -_-

EDIT

LOL I noticed (on the order history page) that my name seems to be 'Jeroen van Erp'. It isn't, actually (did I type that somewhere? :D ): maybe you could change it into simply 'Jeroen'. Or 'J van E' (since I am 'known' under that name on various (flightsim)forums. No big deal, btw, I could get used to van Erp. :P

Changed your name, no idea where I got the Erp. Sorry,

If you got any updates I would be glad to insert then, just ship them to Shaun at support@aerosoft.com and let him know you should be allowed to do some free shopping on the site.

If you got any updates I would be glad to insert then, just ship them to Shaun at support@aerosoft.com and let him know you should be allowed to do some free shopping on the site.

Nice! Will do both! ^_^