Another stupid user...

mopperle

• Deputy Sheriffs

Now since 3 hrs I'm trying to get started with AirbusX. After installing 1.11 on my FSX with AccPack, I thought best way is to start with the step-by-step tutorial:

First thought at looking at this tut: done quick and dirty, numbering is messed up, nobody did a proof reading. Anyway walking through all the steps, engines didn't start. Tried it several times (with restarting PC and FSX) with the same result. Then after turning everything ON (no OFFs) on the overhead panel engine 1 spooled up, but not engine 2.

Other things that didn't work: Clicking on the ECAM panel (ENG, HYD whatever) the view on the ECAM immediately jumped back. When starting the EFIS showes 948 QnH (complete nonsense) when changing it to 1013 it starts blinking and a (warning?) sound comes up.

So for the moment I stopped trying to get it work as I'm too stupid to handle this aircraft and I'm not the average simmer it was aimed too, seems I'm far below average.

But wait a moment: I had no problems with my first flight with the Mustang, Eaglesoft's CitationX and PMDG's MD11, all worked like a charm. :confused_s: :confused_s: :confused_s:

First thought at looking at this tut: done quick and dirty, numbering is messed up, nobody did a proof reading. Anyway walking through all the steps, engines didn't start. Tried it several times (with restarting PC and FSX) with the same result. Then after turning everything ON (no OFFs) on the overhead panel engine 1 spooled up, but not engine 2.

There was a step missing in the guide, turn on APU bleed, once that is on and the ignition is at start you can then move the ENG levers to on and the engine should start.

Other things that didn't work: Clicking on the ECAM panel (ENG, HYD whatever) the view on the ECAM immediately jumped back.

They are jumping back for a reason, its a warning telling you something is not working correctly. Press the CLR button on the keypad near the bottom left and right to ok the warnings, if there are multiple system warnings then you will have to press the CLR (clear) button multiple times, same goes for the master warn and caution buttons on the glare shield panel.

When starting the EFIS showes 948 QnH (complete nonsense) when changing it to 1013 it starts blinking and a (warning?) sound comes up.

You pull the baro knob (right click with mouse) to enter STD mode, i.e. standard pressure 1013, you push the baro knob (left click) to enter a QNH, you roll the mouse wheel when hovering over the baro knob to dial in a pressure, or you can press B on the keyboard to set the current pressure instantly.

• Deputy Sheriffs
There was a step missing in the guide, turn on APU bleed, once that is on and the ignition is at start you can then move the ENG levers to on and the engine should start.

"APU bleed ON" has been mentioned, but not that you have to move the levers foreward to start the engine

They are jumping back for a reason, its a warning telling you something is not working correctly. Press the CLR button on the keypad near the bottom left and right to ok the warnings, if there are multiple system warnings then you will have to press the CLR (clear) button multiple times, same goes for the master warn and caution buttons on the glare shield panel.

I discovered this, but was not sure if it is OK.

You pull the baro knob (right click with mouse) to enter STD mode, i.e. standard pressure 1013, you push the baro knob (left click) to enter a QNH, you roll the mouse wheel when hovering over the baro knob to dial in a pressure, or you can press B on the keyboard to set the current pressure instantly.

I know how to set the pressure, but why is it blinking when going above 1000 QnH? And pressing "B" in this case had no effect.

And there are so many Switches in OFF position like HYD, FLT CTL, GPWS not mentiond in the tut???

"APU bleed ON" has been mentioned, but not that you have to move the levers foreward to start the engine

Andy B meant the Engine master switches 1 and 2. (Don't know which levers you were thinking about here...?)

I discovered this, but was not sure if it is OK.

Well, it was. ^_^

I know how to set the pressure, but why is it blinking when going above 1000 QnH? And pressing "B" in this case had no effect.

I had this once (that QNH was 1013 but kept on blinking all the time up to transition altitude). I have no idea why and on the next flight things were working again.

And there are so many Switches in OFF position like HYD, FLT CTL, GPWS not mentiond in the tut???

The only reason for that is that you did something wrong. :P Are you sure you loaded the cold and dark state...? If you do so and follow the tutorial, things should work and there certainly shouldn't be anything OFF!

BTW I have to add that if you REALLY had no problems at all with your FIRST flight with the Mustang, Eaglesoft's CitationX and PMDG's MD11, then you must be having an off day or something like that, because this addon is more simple than those and the tutorial is better than the one that came with the MD11... (don't own the other two).

• Deputy Sheriffs
Andy B meant the Engine master switches 1 and 2. (Don't know which levers you were thinking about here...?)

Andy wrote:

Of course I used Master SW 1+2 (I followed the tut ;) ) and so I interpreted the levers he mentioned as the thrust levers to be brought out of idle (as by some other aircrafts required). Ok some misunderstanding

The only reason for that is that you did something wrong. :P Are you sure you loaded the cold and dark state...?

I loaded cold and dark from the MCDU and followed the tut. But as I wrote, I'm too stupide for that aircraft ;)

then you must be having an off day

So may be I should give it another try tomorrow? :D

So may be I should give it another try tomorrow? :D

LOL, well, it worked for me...!!! :P

My first flights with the tutorial were crap, but the next day, with the same tutorial, all went well, so... it must have been me!!! It's quite hard to not miss a step, I guess. It was the same when I learned to fly the MD-11. That's (also) why I am making a procedure- and checklist of my own now, which can also be used as a tutorial checklist: it only shows the steps you need to make to have a rather realistic flight. The problem with the official tutorial is (imho) that it contains WAY too many steps that are not required at ALL, and so you are bound to miss an important step here and there, what obviously happened on my first day... My procedure- and checklist has no steps you should skip, which makes it very hard to screw up things. :lol:

I will make a pdf of my checklist tomorrow and post it on the forum. I also changed a lot when it comes to the order in which you have to do things, because imho the tutorial makes a few mistakes and/or sometimes things are impossible to do at a certain time or at the same time and/or you have to look up and down and left and right all the time (I tried to group certain things to prevent that) and some things are even completely missing (not very important things, but things that may confuse you or that don't make sense imho: for instance when you load the taxi or take off or cruise state, things look different than they look when you get there using the tutorial). In short: my pdf will be the perfect procedure- and checklist for the newbie B):P (which isn't you btw, let me make that clear) to get from cold and dark to cold and dark again (the same state as the one you can load from the MCDU menu and not the one you end up with the tutorial). (It may not be the most realistic way btw, so I will stay tuned for correction on glaring mistakes -_- ).

• Upvote 1

LOL, well, it worked for me...!!! :P

My first flights with the tutorial were crap, but the next day, with the same tutorial, all went well, so... it must have been me!!! It's quite hard to not miss a step, I guess. It was the same when I learned to fly the MD-11. That's (also) why I am making a procedure- and checklist of my own now, which can also be used as a tutorial checklist: it only shows the steps you need to make to have a rather realistic flight. The problem with the official tutorial is (imho) that it contains WAY too many steps that are not required at ALL, and so you are bound to miss an important step here and there, what obviously happened on my first day... My procedure- and checklist has no steps you should skip, which makes it very hard to screw up things. :lol:

I will make a pdf of my checklist tomorrow and post it on the forum. I also changed a lot when it comes to the order in which you have to do things, because imho the tutorial makes a few mistakes and/or sometimes things are impossible to do at a certain time or at the same time and/or you have to look up and down and left and right all the time (I tried to group certain things to prevent that) and some things are even completely missing (not very important things, but things that may confuse you or that don't make sense imho: for instance when you load the taxi or take off or cruise state, things look different than they look when you get there using the tutorial). In short: my pdf will be the perfect procedure- and checklist for the newbie B):P (which isn't you btw, let me make that clear) to get from cold and dark to cold and dark again (the same state as the one you can load from the MCDU menu and not the one you end up with the tutorial). (It may not be the most realistic way btw, so I will stay tuned for correction on glaring mistakes -_- ).

I think I could use that checklist, Jan van E, and thanks for doing this!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Couldn't resist to give it another try yet. And this time I didn't use the cold-and-dark state from the MCDU but shut all system down manually and surprise, surprise: A lot of things went different: for the first time the External GPU was available, the baro settings worked, and the engines started as they should. But I'm still not quite sure about the OH panel when to turn what ON. At the moment I just turned everything ON and everything seemed to work, but I think that's not the correct procedure.

I think the tutorial must be completely rewritten with screenshots showing the correct panel state after the required steps! Then it will met Aerosofts goal to have a product for the average simmer. At the moment it is more trial and error.

Unfortunetaly I had to stop and couldn't finish my first flight as we got unexpected visitors :angry2_s:

• Deputy Sheriffs
than he has the default panel state files installed in the wrong directory

Exactly, just found it out by myself! And this is one thing I dont't understand, that programmers are not able to write installation routines sending the files to the correct folder, regardless of the language version :mad:

I think I could use that checklist, Jan van E, and thanks for doing this!

I just posted a first draft (an rtf) of it here:

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=38663

But beware: things might still change the coming days! I will make a pdf when things are final (even if no one is interested, because I did this first of all for myself... :lol: ).

Exactly, just found it out by myself! And this is one thing I dont't understand, that programmers are not able to write installation routines sending the files to the correct folder, regardless of the language version :mad:

Okay, well, then I am very sorry I said you probably did something wrong!!! Thanks Ralf, for giving this information. I hope though that the smileys I added to my post made clear it wasn't meant harsh or rude! ^_^

So you are still having problems. That's odd. When you have done the cockpit preparation there shouldn't be ANY lights that show OFF on the overhead! Also, the things you mention, like HYD, shouldn't be touched at all, so that's why there also is no mention of it in the tutorial... If I remember correctly the only switches that should show something are the APU related switches and the EXT PWR... Weird.

Did you load the default Cessna once before you loaded the Airbus? Seems to me some other addon has changed some settings that aren't compatible with the Airbus.

Another possibility: backup your fsx.cfg, remove it from the FSX folder and restart FSX so a new fsx,cfg will be made. You will lose your settings, but you will be able to test the Airbus 'as clean as possible'. If things do work now, restore your settings manually. If things still don't work you might as well restore the original fsx.cfg.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I will make some screenshoots today evening and post them in the other thread. so it is easier to follow up ;)

I will do them in the order of your checklist and if everything goes well, you might use them as well.

• Deputy Sheriffs

After using the correct aircraft state files in the correct location, I managed to make my first successfull flight. Everthing worked fine, except the approach and landing phase as I was caught by the "Too High Approach Descent Issue". But I brought her down in one piece by using kind of "Sarajewo Approaach" (will need some new tires and brakes :D ).

Next time I will do it better with more manual flying, but I hope that SP1 will bring some improvements regarding this part of the flight.

After using the correct aircraft state files in the correct location, I managed to make my first successfull flight. Everthing worked fine, except the approach and landing phase as I was caught by the "Too High Approach Descent Issue". But I brought her down in one piece by using kind of "Sarajewo Approaach" (will need some new tires and brakes :D ).

Next time I will do it better with more manual flying, but I hope that SP1 will bring some improvements regarding this part of the flight.

Great! Be sure to use the Speed brake during descent and also during approach! I need to use it all the way up to F Speed otherwise I come in too high and hot.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Yes, speed brakes are absolutely necessary. I missed the TOD as it was not shown because of the "more then 5 wpts" issue. But with speedbrakes, full flaps, throttle idle and Sarajewo approach it worked :rolleyes: Would like to see this in real world :D