Question for A320 pilot

Pao13

This question is for real A320 pilots : would you be so kind enough to confirm if it is normal that above 2-300 ft, the flight commands (because of FBW) become so unresponsive... Is the Aerosoft bus representation of FBW (more or less) like in real ? I find it very frustrating that when you wan to make a manual turn, that you feel the commands are not responding and you need to reall anticipate each of your joystick input much in advance...

Thanks for your feedback,

Greg

No it's absolutely not like the real aircraft. The real Airbus is actually quite sensitive on the joystick and just a little pressure on the side will change the heading and put the aircraft on a different course. That's why some Sim pilots of this plane have decided to take the FBW off in order to have more feeling and response. Aerosoft is working on this aspect as well.

Cheers

Will

Will, the sensitivity is dependent on many factors, and in gusty conditions, it is sometimes necessary apparently to use the full deflection of the sidestick...

Have a look at

and you will see what I mean...

As you can imagine, I have been spending a lot of time in the FCOM and on the Internet. YouTube has some rather interesting footage of takeoffs and landings (albeit in an A340 I believe) filming the sidestick... you can see how much work is done...

But you are definitely correct, from all I have read, watched, and learned from aircrews, the AirbusX FBW simulation has currently only little in common with the RW aircraft.

Andrew

Will, the sensitivity is dependent on many factors, and in gusty conditions, it is sometimes necessary apparently to use the full deflection of the sidestick...

Have a look at

As you can imagine, I have been spending a lot of time in the FCOM and on the Internet. YouTube has some rather interesting footage of takeoffs and landings (albeit in an A340 I believe) filming the sidestick... you can see how much work is done...

But you are definitely correct, from all I have read, watched, and learned from aircrews, the AirbusX FBW simulation has currently only little in common with the RW aircraft.

Andrew

what the hell??!!! Is he flying a F16 :rolleyes: ...looks like an Air Combat :rolleyes:

I didn't have much time lately. But today I did. I have tried it and must say. It doesn't fly like the real one, yet. As I read that aerosoft is still working on it, I am convinced it will get better. But it isn't the brick of stones that some people try to make it either.

I have watched my son fly it and noticed heflies it like it is a boeing. That is the first thing he needs to shake off.

It is funny to read peoples opinion about the real airbus, because I don't think many ever have flown it in real life. So on what is the comparisson based? Same for a boeing. It can simulate each and every system, it will never fly like the real one.

I haven't been able to seriously test it, because my son is somewhat addicted to it, but when I do I will report back. As far as my son is concerned. he enjoys every minute of it, so it was money well spent. He's at school, so if I hurry, I might be able to take it to the out in the up and up now.

S. Stedman

• Upvote 2

No it's absolutely not like the real aircraft. The real Airbus is actually quite sensitive on the joystick and just a little pressure on the side will change the heading and put the aircraft on a different course. That's why some Sim pilots of this plane have decided to take the FBW off in order to have more feeling and response. Aerosoft is working on this aspect as well.

Cheers

Will

... I hope Aerosoft is working on it but I have serious doubts..... no where they mention about the FBW improvement in manual mode.... on not even a comment .... sadly...

[quoteWill, the sensitivity is dependent on many factors, and in gusty conditions, it is sometimes necessary apparently to use the full deflection of the sidestick...

Have a look at

Andrew ]

unfortunately the FBW is pretty far from what it should be right now and that's why if you want to do a visual APP and consequent landing as it should be done you need to shut it off.

By shutting it off does that mean you are then flying in DIRECT mode? In effect the Airbus then flies like a Boeing?

Aerosoft what was the point? The FBW is so "lame" it has to be turned off to actually perform visual approaches. Sure its a very nicely model VC and external model. But its inexcusable that the FBW is so useless.

• Upvote 1

I'm not representing Aerosoft when I make my own comments and shutting the FBW off is not like flying Direct to. First of all Aerosoft is working on this problem and most likely it will be solved with the upcoming SP1. Secondly the so-called FBW that we eventually shut off are the 3 FLT buttons just below the IRS control in the overhead panel and it's done only on T/O phase and Final/Landing phase as a hotfix to gain more control & feeling with the plane. That's pretty much it...........

Cheers

Will

So what you turn off all the protections Airbus has built in and go install a pulley to the end of the aircraft? I don't get how you can turn FBW off...

Ok. I'm going to try to say it one more time because it's evident that I don't get through. The FBW definition doesn't come from me. It's been posted previously all over the forum in response of pilots complaining about the controls feeling sluggish. Therefore, as a "hotfix", not a solution, it's been advised to turn the "FBW" off via the aircraft.cfg or via the overhead panel. NOW: It's clear that when you do it the aircraft become more responsive and provides more feedback to the user.

You can call it FBW or you can call it Joe Smoke, I don't care and it doesn't matter. The fact remains that, as today, Aerosoft is working hard to get out a SP1 that will fix that sluggish feeling that many users are experiencing and that when you turn that option off the plane responds better.

With that being said I'm done with this subject and don't intend to respond anymore because it's going completely off topic.

Will

You don't turn the fly by wire off unless it fails, (and in Aerosoft's case it will never happen). We were fairly disappointed by the feel on this product. Some other dev team (in our opinion) achieved a better transition between each stick input on the 320. (I am not sure how else I can describe that). As an example, a relation between a left and center input on the stick is not "Airbus like" enough, the whole stick input on the Airbus X just doesn't respond close enough to the real 320 sim (I know it's a big ask and may I say it will vary on the stick you are using and the settings you have applied to it). Another real disappointment as I already mentioned was the Airbus immersion (this has nothing to do with system depth) I am simply talking about a bad sound pack (poor unrealistic quality and some callout sounds missing) and bad light replicated inside the flight deck (too orange guys and too dark, especially as we cannot adjust the later). Well, beside the system depths which were as advertised, we thought this add-on was rushed out. Shame but not a big deal. I did not mention the few bugs we found as these I am fairly sure will be solved by Aerosoft very shortly.

Regards

D

• Upvote 1

Really you can't handle the FBW yet you are a rated pilot... OK..

First of all why do you feel the need to get personal ?? I still don't get it.......... Second, can you read and understand what you're reading ??

I don't recall mentioning anything about my flying techniques.........

When you'll get a chance to be in the cockpit of a real Airbus for a few years then we'll talk about it, until then just make sure you take care of your ratings.

Will

• Upvote 2

Ok. I'm going to try to say it one more time because it's evident that I don't get through. The FBW definition doesn't come from me. It's been posted previously all over the forum in response of pilots complaining about the controls feeling sluggish. Therefore, as a "hotfix", not a solution, it's been advised to turn the "FBW" off via the aircraft.cfg or via the overhead panel. NOW: It's clear that when you do it the aircraft become more responsive and provides more feedback to the user.

You can call it FBW or you can call it Joe Smoke, I don't care and it doesn't matter. The fact remains that, as today, Aerosoft is working hard to get out a SP1 that will fix that sluggish feeling that many users are experiencing and that when you turn that option off the plane responds better.

With that being said I'm done with this subject and don't intend to respond anymore because it's going completely off topic.

Will

Will,

I agree with you that the AirbusX FBW is sluggish. I'll try to turn FBW off and see if that's a better way to hand fly the aircraft. Thanks :goodjob_s:

What worries me a little is that the known issues list (http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=37730) doesn't mention the FBW problem. :huh:

First of all why do you feel the need to get personal ?? I still don't get it.......... Second, can you read and understand what you're reading ??

I don't recall mentioning anything about my flying techniques.........

When you'll get a chance to be in the cockpit of a real Airbus for a few years then we'll talk about it, until then just make sure you take care of your ratings.

Will

Yeah it seems the pilot doesn't understand the difference between a $40 dollar add on and $50 Million dollar aircraft. I don't care if it doesn't respond exactly like the real thing... 99% of the people won't care either. Plus I don't see how reverting to stock 737 is any better... it certainly doesn't trim for you. To suggest you need to turn off the FBW to make this plane flyable is laughable. And no I don't believe you are a real a320 pilot, you certainly don't seem to have the systems knowledge, and you are just some random dude on the internet complaining about the .cfg file.

• Upvote 2

BionicCrab: your tone and choice of words is bordering on libel. There really is no need to attack anyone personally. Whether anyone is really an A320 driver or not is for them to know. I have no reason to doubt his credentials. If anyone is not what they say they are, they will only make themselves look foolish, when the lies are revealed to be such.

I can only suggest that a moderator close this one. This is beginning to get ugly here.

Andrew

Look "bionicCrab" what you're saying does not make any sense. Nothing in your last comments reflect anything that i ever said or meant. It will be evident to the readers that you didn't understand what I was trying to say.

Fortunately, I'm mature enough not to put myself in the position of arguing with a teenage and certainly don't want/need to convince you about anything, much less to proof myself. Feel free to believe whatever you want about me.

Thanks for clearly expressing yourself.

Cheers

Will

Thanks for your comment Andrew, but don't worry, it's not gonna get ugly because it actually ends right here. I have better ways to spend my time. This conversation is closed as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks again.

Will