Screenshot competition (september)

Tyrion

This may be a silly question:

Given the existing presense of an "Andras Field - Screenshots" subforum, why is everyone seeking to initiate sub-sub screenshot forums (first for Glider Screenshots, and now for Seaplane Screenshots)? What is next- a sub-sub-sub screenshot forum for glider screenshots of gliders from specific manufacturers or for fixed-wing aircraft screenshots for airplanes with more than one engine versus single-engine, and then separate sub-sub-sub forums for low-wing airplanes and high-wing planes, respectively?

The intent of the Andras venture was to create a community, not to create merely a foundation for a set of fragmented mini-communities, although there may be some here who disagree. I do not see the advantage of a screenshot sub-sub forum for a glider "clique" or a sub-sub forum for a seaplane "group". C'mon folks, we are *all* members of a wonderful *common* community/group...Andras Field(!); let's not begin to sow the seeds of fragmentation & fracture.

In my view, Andras Field screenshots are Andras Field screenshots, regardless of the aircraft, and they all belong in the AFS sub-forum (just as is the similar case at many other sim sites)...but, that is just my $0.02.

It is beginning to get to the point that one is not to know where to look to view [all] screenshots. It is beginning to appear that the last place one should probably look for [all] screenshots is in the "Andras Field - Screenshots" sub-forum lol. B)

Rusty.

If I may step in here for a moment. :rolleyes:

Like Lars I also see what you mean, but I look at it differently. I think everybody should post their regular screenshots in the screenshot sub-forum. This is what is was made for.

But what we have in the Glider and the Seabase secions are not regular screenshots taken for show. These are competitions made with a specific goal in sight, and run strictly by the Director of the subforum. It would not be the same to have a glider base competition and then post the shots for the competition in the screenshots subforum, and same for the Seabase competition of course.

I also have some screenshots in my Andras Aviation Club, because those screenshots are there for a purpose, and not "just" because I happen to like a certain shot I took, and want others to see it too. But make no mistakes - I love to look at peoples "see this picture" shots, Often the most amazing shots are taken in non-competitive flights. ^_^ And I would expect people to post those in the screenshots subforum.

So I dont think that the last place I would look for screenshots is in the screenshots subforum - this would be the first place I would look - and post to. But if I look for pictures in a Seaplane base competition - I would certainly look in the Seaplane subforum.

just MY 2 cents. :)

Hi Ole, Lars

You both, too, make valid points. As always, I will continue to peruse all the forums here; and I will also continue to enjoy all of the screenshots, no matter why they are posted, where they are posted or for what purpose & event they are posted. ;) .

Blue skies to you both!

Rusty.

If I may step in here for a moment. :rolleyes:

Like Lars I also see what you mean, but I look at it differently. I think everybody should post their regular screenshots in the screenshot sub-forum. This is what is was made for.

But what we have in the Glider and the Seabase secions are not regular screenshots taken for show. These are competitions made with a specific goal in sight, and run strictly by the Director of the subforum. It would not be the same to have a glider base competition and then post the shots for the competition in the screenshots subforum, and same for the Seabase competition of course.

I also have some screenshots in my Andras Aviation Club, because those screenshots are there for a purpose, and not "just" because I happen to like a certain shot I took, and want others to see it too. But make no mistakes - I love to look at peoples "see this picture" shots, Often the most amazing shots are taken in non-competitive flights. ^_^ And I would expect people to post those in the screenshots subforum.

So I dont think that the last place I would look for screenshots is in the screenshots subforum - this would be the first place I would look - and post to. But if I look for pictures in a Seaplane base competition - I would certainly look in the Seaplane subforum.

just MY 2 cents. :)

Hi there Ole, Manuel & Lars!

I suppose my only point might have been: "Hey, why not use the screenshot forum's capabilities to include many different event/purpose topics so as to include, for example, a screenshot subtopic for 'Glider Competition #1' or 'Seaplane Base Exhibit #5' etc." In that way, your point of maintaining the unique character & flavor of the event would be assured as would be the general thought of maintaining [all] screenshots in a common place. Therefore, rather than having to head over to this subforum or to that subforum in order to be sure to catch all screenshots, one could otherwise view all screenshots, for all wonderful & unique occasions (or perhaps, not unique at all!) in a common location, and one would merely need to hop from one [event] topic to another within the same screenshot subforum. I had merely thought that makes it less possible to miss any terrific screenshots if they are mostly maintained in one dedicated area. As it stands now, unless one reads most topics of most forums (even though most folks read most all of the topis in most of the subforums anyway!!), it is more possible that screenshot topics may be missed than were they all to reside in one common location under varying topic/event headings.

But, enough said! I fully understand and appreciate your points regarding both the uniqueness of the particular events and the notion of distinct areas for General versus Specialized photographs. As I indicated above, I will enjoy viewing them wherever they may reside!!

Cheers! B)

Hi Ole, Lars

You both, too, make valid points. As always, I will continue to peruse all the forums here; and I will also continue to enjoy all of the screenshots, no matter why they are posted, where they are posted or for what purpose & event they are posted. ;) .

Blue skies to you both!

Btw, Obviously I agree that images that help describe a certain condition (a proposed new taxiway, or a misplaced window texture, etc.) should be included with & under the topic being discussed in the respective subforum. Of course images which depict a malfunctioning compass, for example, should accompany the respective post under the appropriate subforum (panel gauges, general flight sim., etc.) and should not be posted in a "Screenshot" subforum!

See you on the field! :rolleyes: