Final approach after V1.11 a bit messy...?

tup61

I just tried two autolands after installing version 1.11 but it seemed things don't perform as well as before the patch. The plane goes up and down rather heavily, trying to intercept the glide slope, so it seems. I almost thought I would crash, since it happened quite close to the ground: the plane seemed to dive down into the ground. And also speeds were going up and down a lot: they never really got to Vapp either. The speed tape showed a lot of jumping up and down and speeds being on the edge of what was allowable. The plane seemed to be struggling hard to make it! In the end I did land, bu it certainly was better and smoother before the patch! Now maybe this to do with the airport I was flying at (didn't fly there before) but I never had this before. And btw there was no wind at all, so that can't be it.

I will do a flight to an airport I've been before and report back (as soon as I have time for it, that is).

have you try a manual landing?

1) I CAN NOT make a smooth landing because the nose put down when i am 50 or 100 feet above the runway surface (without autopilot).

2) I CAN NOT make a smooth landing too when I used the autopilot to established the ILS-Glidepath. I deactivated the AP1+2 before passing the threshold and then, the nose went down again. This is a FBW issue (!!), and i see not this point at the "known issues" list?

have you try a manual landing?

1) I CAN NOT make a smooth landing because the nose put down when i am 50 or 100 feet above the runway surface (without autopilot).

2) I CAN NOT make a smooth landing too when I used the autopilot to established the ILS-Glidepath. I deactivated the AP1+2 before passing the threshold and then, the nose went down again. This is a FBW issue (!!), and i see not this point at the "known issues" list?

Infact, that's no "issue". It is normal and common sense that EVERY airbus freezes its current attitude at 100ft and will "gently" start a nose-down pitch attitude. That is done by purpose from airbus manufacturerin order to remind the pilot to command a slight nose up attitude during the flare-phase.

That's no FBW issue. As far as i know it is actually stated in the given guides that this will happen at 100ft.

And where is the difference between a manually landing and deactivating the autopilots after passing the threshold? It's two times the same situation!

Actually, i was able to commence even greater flares with this rather extraordinary feature. You are forced to back off the sidestick with more force, still the flare becomes gentle.

Eventually, you just need to become used to it, it's not like you can land every plane within 2 minutes... You need to work and work and work

' ' I just tried two autolands after installing version 1.11 but it seemed things don't perform as well as before the patch. The plane goes up and down rather heavily, trying to intercept the glide slope, so it seems. I almost thought I would crash, since it happened quite close to the ground: the plane seemed to dive down into the ground. And also speeds were going up and down a lot: ''

Hey mister, That is exactly what i saw and test myself a couple of times. "this yoyo-ing effect" russian montains.

But each time i made a good autoland, i was previously very well aligned on localiser. On my opinion, it seems i had to

be aligned on LOC for at least 5 or 10 seconds, before capturing the glide. Otherwise, its not smooth enough

and the all thing is messed up.

I am confident everything will be improved in the following weeks but, come on, for an aircraft designed to be easy to fly (& not designed for hard core gamer), well :lol: it's revealed himself to be very difficult to pilot.:(

mason

Actually after the 1.11 patch the autoland is much smoother for me with a beautiful flare and soft touch down.The aircraft is definitely flying better and climbing better AND I no longer CTD after exiting my flight with the Airbus X. Mathijs and co, whatever you are doing is working and improving the plane at least for me.Keep it coming and thanks for the phenomenal approach and speed in solving issues and making SPs. I for one truly appreciate all the hard work you and the Aerosoft team have done.

Alex C

Actually after the 1.11 patch the autoland is much smoother for me with a beautiful flare and soft touch down.The aircraft is definitely flying better and climbing better AND I no longer CTD after exiting my flight with the Airbus X. Mathijs and co, whatever you are doing is working and improving the plane at least for me.Keep it coming and thanks for the phenomenal approach and speed in solving issues and making SPs. I for one truly appreciate all the hard work you and the Aerosoft team have done.

Alex C

Hi

I must say that it works fine for me too as long as I follow some basic rules:

1. Intercept LOC below GS and at green dot speed or less and at an angle of 30 deg. or less (preferably less)

2. when GS comes alive I reduce to 160 kts and set flaps 2 and lower gear

3. set APPR and AP2 (assumed both ILS are set to the correct freq./course on MCDU RAD/NAV page)

4. At GS capture I set flaps 3

5. when announced on ECAM I arm the ground spoilers and set full flaps (I have only tried FULL config landing)

6. If the winds permit I autoland, otherwise I switch off the APs at (or above) minimums and land manually

Yesterday I landed perfectly at ESGG (Gothenburg) and at EKCH (Copenhagen). At EKCH autoland could not handle the crosswinds (100/14) rwy 04L hdg is 039. I believe this is as in real life though?

regards

S.Mark

At EKCH autoland could not handle the crosswinds (100/14) rwy 04L hdg is 039. I believe this is as in real life though?

regards

S.Mark

Yes, autoland can handle crosswinds only up to approx. 10 knots.

Hi

I must say that it works fine for me too as long as I follow some basic rules:

1. Intercept LOC below GS and at green dot speed or less and at an angle of 30 deg. or less (preferably less)

2. when GS comes alive I reduce to 160 kts and set flaps 2 and lower gear

3. set APPR and AP2 (assumed both ILS are set to the correct freq./course on MCDU RAD/NAV page)

4. At GS capture I set flaps 3

5. when announced on ECAM I arm the ground spoilers and set full flaps (I have only tried FULL config landing)

6. If the winds permit I autoland, otherwise I switch off the APs at (or above) minimums and land manually

Yesterday I landed perfectly at ESGG (Gothenburg) and at EKCH (Copenhagen). At EKCH autoland could not handle the crosswinds (100/14) rwy 04L hdg is 039. I believe this is as in real life though?

regards

S.Mark

Thanks for the detailed prodecure-list. happy.gif I am doing everything as told in the Step b step procedure and checklist, but I will give your version a try tonight! I am still a bit unsure about when to lower speed etc. etc. so your list might help on that.

When do you usually set (and reach) Vapp? Afaik (the tutorial told me so) I have to be at Vapp at lot earlier than you describe (which makes the approach a time consuming thing tongue.gif ). And btw you manually set the plane to fly Green dot speed, I presume for step 1? You make it a three step procedure (1 green dot, 2 160 3 (I presume) Vapp: I always directly go to Vapp (as the manual told me to).

Thanks for the detailed prodecure-list. happy.gif I am doing everything as told in the Step b step procedure and checklist, but I will give your version a try tonight! I am still a bit unsure about when to lower speed etc. etc. so your list might help on that.

When do you usually set (and reach) Vapp? Afaik (the tutorial told me so) I have to be at Vapp at lot earlier than you describe (which makes the approach a time consuming thing tongue.gif ). And btw you manually set the plane to fly Green dot speed, I presume for step 1? You make it a three step procedure (1 green dot, 2 160 3 (I presume) Vapp: I always directly go to Vapp (as the manual told me to).

Jeroen

You can go to Vapp directly, but some airports (for example those in Sweden) have restrictions saying you must be at for example at least 160 until a within certain distance from the rwy. Other times you are told to do a fast final by ATC. In those cases I follow the above procedure and I select Vapp at the same time I set full flaps.

regards

smark

Well, this sucks big time. Autoland is definitely screwed on my system with V1.11. I just gave it another try and now G/S was reasonable, but the speed refused to go down to Vapp!!! :mad: Close to the airport it even went from 160 to 180 instead of Vapp 125... So I lowered the flaps and gear anyway, but autoland was very bad: I plummeted into the ground. Crap.

The only advantage V1.11 gives me is that I can arm the ground spoiler with the right mouse button but for my short hops (where I don't need very high FL) the rest is only bad news. Think I will uninstall this version and go back to the previous one. <_<

Is there any way I can get the ground spoiler right click update alone with the previous version? Probably not...

Bummer. Two annoying evenings in a row. Pity. Well, c'est la vie, I guess...-_-

It is, where traffic and procedures allow, always best to be aligned on the LOC before intercepting the glideslope. I found that the aircraft hunts for the LOC, even with only a 30° intercept angle...

It overshoots, then banks steeply back, in an oscillating hunt for the LOC... a bit like a damped oscillation curve in the horizontal, if you understand what I mean...

Now, wrt FLARE mode... Airbus normal law (the only "law" that is in any way modelled here as I understood it, DIRECT and ALTERNATE LAW are high end stuff, leave that to FSL perhaps?) has a flare mode that pitches down at 50'RA... it should not begin pitching down at 100'RA... check the FCOM, check online, the information is there...

I am a little worried by the autothrust system and the engines' power in general. I can set MAN/TOGA, MAN/FLX, MCT and Autothrust should NOT be active. It arms, but should not be active. When I set TOGA, I want to see the engines spooling up to the maximum... I want to get up and away from the danger zone on balked landing as fast as possible...

The same goes for FLEX thrust, I want the power available that is there, not some 80-85% of it...

V1.11 on my system is a major step in the right direction though, with some of my annoyances with V1.0 cleared up so far as to be usable (autobrake settings, ground spoiler arming, for example). I wish you all the best in getting there!

Andrew

• Upvote 1