Ridge Lift problems

NaviAtHeart

Well, I wanted to tryout something epic in my simulated gliding career....

Set my flight at 5:30 AM in the morning, I thought of riding the Minden ridges to a high altitude to watch the sunrise. I set winds to 36 kts and I took off, calling a tow plane to tow my DG.

Released over the ridge, but after a good 30 seconds, it was weird. I was on the side the wind was blowing into the mountain ridge. And yet, I was getting negative vertical speed, and suddenly, it was whaco. Extreme lift switched with strong downdraft, off and on, off and on. Then at, times, just pure extreme downdraft! What a way to ruin your soaring day....

Is there some regards of CumulusX! having problems with night flying? I know thermals NEED the ground to warm up in mid-day, but I mean, if strong winds blow in the middle of the night in Minden or Omarama or anywhere with mountains, there can still be ridge lift and wave at night right? Or is it something to do with Minden's ridges that effect the calculations? Thanks anyways...!

PS: Thanks to Peter for creating CumulusX! It has totally changed my soaring experience in FSX!

Ridge lift should work all night the same as during day. If you can recreate the situation, please try saving the flight and send me the files. Is your CumulusX! version freeware or licensed and which OS do you have?

regards,

Peter

Hello NaviAtHeart, I can vouch for getting ridge lift before sunrise. I've been flying at Dillingham, HI lately, and was wondering what sunrise/sunset feels like. Awsome stuff!!! I think I may have a video of a sunrise flight, but will have to check. As far as the situation you are describing, it reminds me of being in the middle of 2 weather stations, and fighting over each other. It happens to me around Mt Cook every once in a while. It really makes for a treacherous tow and glide when this happens. I am using the freeware version.

Scott

Ridge lift should work all night the same as during day. If you can recreate the situation, please try saving the flight and send me the files. Is your CumulusX! version freeware or licensed and which OS do you have?

regards,

Peter

Peter, my CumulusX! is a freeware version as I'm trying it out, and have been for 2 months. And I am running on Windows 7 BOOTCAMP on iMac.

I will refly the mission @ minden-tahoe and attach the saved flight files if I have the time as I'm very busy.