Wilco V Airbus X

Coopz67

I hope that this post won't be taken down for mentioning a competitor but I just wanted to air my thoughts, albeit in a positive and constructive way.

Whilst realising that this product is aimed at an advanced beginner, it seems such a waste has gone on the detail and not into the hardcore component functions that make up Airbus logic.

The graphics, lighting and panels are stunning, yet I feel the glass panels PFD ECAM etc fall short of the rest of the modelling. Is it 8 bit ? The detail is lost significantly and looks aliased ?

The sound set is again fantastic, apart from "Traffic, Traffic" on the TCAS which sounds like it was done by a teenager in his bedroom.

The flight dynamics seem very good, although Taxi speed on idle is non existent and when using a Saitek without FSUIPC, its too easy to overpower during taxi, even when starting in pushback. ILS capture was tricky and again without Approach phase a real feature of the Bus

Ingenious, eye candy stuff like the gen power truck and window opening are great and the cold and dark shutdown is welcome. At last someone has nailed how to open doors on and aeroplane.

But all of this great additional material becomes for me worthless when a vital component such as the MCDU is not covered to an extent that not only is easy to use for beginners but does not allow them to progress into the higher levels of simming.

To have an MCDU without lateral revision, Sid, Star functionality is the biggest dissapointment of all. How can one fly on VATSIM ?

One answer was that 90% of approaches are vectored, well in that case what happens when you are put into a hold ? There is no provision for this, stuff like crossing restrictions and constraints are all vital tools for a simmer. To use the excuse it's for beginners is to deny advanced simmers the chance to finally own a great bus and maybe an excuse not to model or simulate a lot of stuff. Personally the dinner tray looks very slick when it pops out but I'd rather be able to set my trim on Flaps/THS

Having flown Wilco for several years and having seen them fail to in my opinion correctly support a loyal fan base, I will still be using it. The reason is because Eric Marciano has produced an update, something which they were incapable of doing yet managed to alter the eratic FDE on Series 2 without bothering to do the same to Series 1, even though they had the solution. Jan 2009 was the last update and still TOD recalculations etc were not fixed. But here I find myself still on the same software because Airsimmer are still stuck in 2006 and 3 years of waiting kind of gets boring.

I really hope that Aerosoft continue with the great support and do take on board request for an advanced version, I would happily pay double this price for a perfect bus !

A few suggestions for SP1

Autopilot disconect does not work from hat switches on yoke/joystick (mapped thru FSX) , although the Disconnect can be heard. I think this is the correct way to disengage A/P not from the PCU itself.

Approach Phase

Lateral revisions and constraint hold capabilites

Waypoint entering eg VOR/HDG/DIST etc

Runway centreline extension waypoints

DME Arcs with bezier curves

Full MCDU functionality on INIT A B. PERF, PROG, PRED, FPLAN OVERFLY

A cfg file for Topcat

Improved bit rate on PFD ECAM etc, or is that my resolution 5040 x 1050

Best of luck, I hope this product continues to improve :) not criticism just enthusiatic to see it progress

Intel i7 920 clocked to 3.6Ghz

Nvidia GTX 295 1.7Gb

8gb RAM

Rampage Extreme Motherboard

120 Gb Sata with Mirrored 2Tb

Matrox Digital Triple head 2go

3 x 26" ASUS 1920x1200

C67

• Upvote 9

I hope that this post won't be taken down for mentioning a competitor but I just wanted to air my thoughts, albeit in a positive and constructive way.

Whilst realising that this product is aimed at an advanced beginner, it seems such a waste has gone on the detail and not into the hardcore component functions that make up Airbus logic.

The graphics, lighting and panels are stunning, yet I feel the glass panels PFD ECAM etc fall short of the rest of the modelling. Is it 8 bit ? The detail is lost significantly and looks aliased ?

The sound set is again fantastic, apart from "Traffic, Traffic" on the TCAS which sounds like it was done by a teenager in his bedroom.

The flight dynamics seem very good, although Taxi speed on idle is non existent and when using a Saitek without FSUIPC, its too easy to overpower during taxi, even when starting in pushback. ILS capture was tricky and again without Approach phase a real feature of the Bus

Ingenious, eye candy stuff like the gen power truck and window opening are great and the cold and dark shutdown is welcome. At last someone has nailed how to open doors on and aeroplane.

But all of this great additional material becomes for me worthless when a vital component such as the MCDU is not covered to an extent that not only is easy to use for beginners but does not allow them to progress into the higher levels of simming.

To have an MCDU without lateral revision, Sid, Star functionality is the biggest dissapointment of all. How can one fly on VATSIM ?

One answer was that 90% of approaches are vectored, well in that case what happens when you are put into a hold ? There is no provision for this, stuff like crossing restrictions and constraints are all vital tools for a simmer. To use the excuse it's for beginners is to deny advanced simmers the chance to finally own a great bus and maybe an excuse not to model or simulate a lot of stuff. Personally the dinner tray looks very slick when it pops out but I'd rather be able to set my trim on Flaps/THS

Having flown Wilco for several years and having seen them fail to in my opinion correctly support a loyal fan base, I will still be using it. The reason is because Eric Marciano has produced an update, something which they were incapable of doing yet managed to alter the eratic FDE on Series 2 without bothering to do the same to Series 1, even though they had the solution. Jan 2009 was the last update and still TOD recalculations etc were not fixed. But here I find myself still on the same software because Airsimmer are still stuck in 2006 and 3 years of waiting kind of gets boring.

I really hope that Aerosoft continue with the great support and do take on board request for an advanced version, I would happily pay double this price for a perfect bus !

A few suggestions for SP1

Autopilot disconect does not work from hat switches on yoke/joystick (mapped thru FSX) , although the Disconnect can be heard. I think this is the correct way to disengage A/P not from the PCU itself.

Approach Phase

Lateral revisions and constraint hold capabilites

Waypoint entering eg VOR/HDG/DIST etc

Runway centreline extension waypoints

DME Arcs with bezier curves

Full MCDU functionality on INIT A B. PERF, PROG, PRED, FPLAN OVERFLY

A cfg file for Topcat

Improved bit rate on PFD ECAM etc, or is that my resolution 5040 x 1050

Best of luck, I hope this product continues to improve :) not criticism just enthusiatic to see it progress

Intel i7 920 clocked to 3.6Ghz

Nvidia GTX 295 1.7Gb

8gb RAM

Rampage Extreme Motherboard

120 Gb Sata with Mirrored 2Tb

Matrox Digital Triple head 2go

3 x 26" ASUS 1920x1200

C67

simply +1

even though aerosoft said many times what is included and what not at least it should be possible for a plane "perfect for online flying" to decent automaticlly at the tod (and to show this). i think it´s also funny that no airways can be entered but if you put more than 5 waypoints you can´t see the tod symbol anymore. but i still hope many people buy this bus so aerosoft will think over their opinion and include a more serious mcdu. form their first impression they stated here in forum they already sold more than they expected in the first days. maybe we will get something more for our money...

• Upvote 1

Sorry to say, but it's a SIMULATION. A real airbus costs what? A real Airbus simulator costs what?

I am more than happy with what I get for less than 40 euros. I think that some people have TOTALLY lost perspective of what FSX is and what they demand for the money they spend.

Please, get real.

• Upvote 6

Sorry to say, but it's a SIMULATION. A real airbus costs what? A real Airbus simulator costs what?

I am more than happy with what I get for less than 40 euros. I think that some people have TOTALLY lost perspective of what FSX is and what they demand for the money they spend.

Please, get real.

While being real, I support the post and agree to pay 100+ EUR just to get a decent simulation of the A320. After my experience with simulations of the caliber of MD11 I would not be satisfied with anything less than that.

I see the amazing screen shots of the A320 X and I understand the massive work Aerosoft team has done to get it there, however I will refrain from buying the bus until there is more advanced version of it.

I hope Aerosoft will move the project further and will enter the league of the "extraordinary" sim airplane developers.

• Upvote 5

Coopz67 I must say you have described exactly how i am feeling about this product. For that +1. I definetly agree, why did Aerosoft spend so much time, and created such a visually excellent and fps friendly product, and then not go an extra step and add proper MCDU functionality? It puzzles me, if in reality they could simply create an extension for the more advanced systems, they could simply achieve to please both advanced beginner and experienced customers alike. Would this not actually yield more profit? It's like aerosoft just gave up, just like if they were playing a football game, worked hard and long for their victory and then at the last minute just get lazy and gave up.

• Upvote 1

Style over content!

I have both versions.....basic flight controls, and much much more need to be implemented ...i.e. a rudder while airborne...before it, airbusX, has any real value. Currently it's poor value.

• Upvote 1

Please, get real.

True but look at what PMDG, FS Labs, and Level-D offer for not much more. Although this aircraft is visually stunning, the systems are a joke. The old PMDG 737 series is more advanced and sells for less, you can buy their 747 for 10 bucks more (or even less in the box at Fry's). Your reasoning in comparing FS products to real simulators is flawed. One must compare apples to apples, ie. to other aircraft in the FS market. Sure, Aerosoft can say all they want about how this product wasn't meant to be advanced, but consider the rest of the FS aircraft market and the value you're getting with Airbus X relative to it. To me, there is clear disparity here. All in all, too much time was spent fussing with the aesthetics and superfluous bells and whistles while failing to get right what is really important.

I'll wait and see if Aerosoft can prove me wrong in the upcoming service packs, but until then this one is sitting in the hangar.

Brandon Burkley

• Upvote 10

I have to partly agree with Coopz. I knew, going in, that this would be a simplified bus, but I still thought that it would allow laterial revision with Direct To and Hold.

I can understand not simulating VNAV altitude restrictions, but it should at least allow SIDs and STARs and let the user set the altitudes on the MCP.

There is a lot of simplification that can be done on an Airbus sim without compromising the most needed systems.

The AirbusX is beautiful and has a lot of great features and untapped potential. I will use this sim because I haven't started flying online, but this sure wouldn't be one that I use online.

I agree that Eric Marciano has done wonders with Wilco's product, but I don't think he has released the FSX upgrade for Wilco's yet, so the AirbusX is the best available for FSX right now.

I know that Aerosoft keeps their finger on the pulse of the flight sim community. I hope that they can see that we want an upgrade for this AirbusX that would make the product acceptable to the more advanced Airbus user. It doesn't have to be perfect with all of the aircraft nuances simulated, but it needs to fly identifiable to an Airbus A320.

Don't build a sim using the default FSX aircraft as a target pattern to work up from, because they are pure garbage.

• Upvote 6

Signamanbob,

Yes there is an update for the Wilco, its solved a lot of issues that they had given up on once the bus had reached about 3 years old, TOD, proper curved SIDs etc.

I've been really impressed with Aerosofts support, even the whole layout of the forum in advance of release. If Aerosoft had 3 more years to work on this product imagine how good it would be. I firmly believe they will deliver a huge amount of improvement in SP1. Hopefully encouraged by the popularity of the product they will see the benefits of stepping up to an advanced sim, then there would be a race on with Airsimmer.

Coopz

• Upvote 3

Although I mostly agree with what has been said in every post and I belong to that category that has flown the Wilco for years and that will spend a quite a bit of money to have a more complete Airbus, I have to say that this is a very good start and the potential to get better is definitely there. Anyhow, how are they suppose to keep working on it and improve it further to reach what we want if we don't buy it, fly it and give constructive criticism. They surely need the money as an incentive and as a mean to support the project. I believe that there will be a more advanced version of this product, it's just a matter of time and support it. Personally, beside a couple of obvious issues which are already fixed, I'm have not experienced 90% of the problems I've seen in the forum. Many of those issues are due to lack of attention e/o knowledge. As an experienced simmer I know how fragile & delicate FSX is when it comes down to add on and this one is definitely very stable & functional. I fly only on Vatsim and yes, many vital functions needed for online flying are not there yet, as well as a deeper FMGS and more options, but I'm confident that one step at a time we'll get there. The fact alone that the aircraft is supported through Navigraph should already be indicative of a possible further development. It's a good thing that sales went very well and hopefully they'll get even better so the development will proceed faster and an advanced version will come sooner.

Great start Aerosoft. Thank you.

Will

have a little faith peeps :)

i hope things will be fixed in the coming service packs [pretty sure they will be guys ;)]]

just gotta keep patient,

and i agree with the above poster, yoou cannot compare this software with a real airbus, u got to compare to other addons, apples against apples/

its got the potential guys :) keep positive

SP1 will be a bug fix... New features might come in the advanced version... Let's cross our fingers ;)

But I already have loads of fun with this bus...

• Upvote 1

Coopz, I agree with you, there is massive potenial in this product. But will Aerosoft take it to another level... I hope so in the shape of an advanced pack, watch this space.....

I really do hope they do!We have been missind a boeing competitor for pmdg for years now.I really hope aerosoft decides to upgrade the bus,I'd be more than willing to pay an extra for it.

I think it has great potential by the way!

David Di Domizio

• Upvote 1

Hi All,

I'm sorry to disagree with so many, but I have been following details of Airbus X in the forums, and I think I got what I paid for, I'm really pleased with all aspects (given that there are a few minor bugs) I have flown the pmdg 737 in FS9 and the 747-400. I've also flown the Jetstream 41 in FSX and I really like flying these aircraft, sure I'm disappointed that the Airbus X wasn't as complicated as the PMDG stuff, but I knew this before I bought it and I am perfectly happy, if upgrades to a more complicated Airbus come out I will use them, but I feel I got what I paid for.

Oh and yes, I do have the Wilco Airbus, it's ok but.......... I've taken it off now, if it really improves I'll probably buy it, but until then I'm quite happy with my Airbus X.

Thank you to the Aerosoft team, and to all the re-painters who have been working so hard.

Cheers,

Zebedee

• Upvote 2

+1 from me too. I fully understand what Aerosoft were aiming at and I'm really pleased that sales seem to justify the approach. I wanted a bit more depth but was thinking of buying it anyway - but on reflection I think that I'll wait and see what the future holds and stick with "the other" 'Bus. Just for the record I would also pay double for the extra features.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Please, get real.

With respect, that's complete nonsense! ......... There are 'simulations' out there which can replicate 99.9% of the real systems and operation of the most complex airliners. Even some distributed by Aersoft like the PMDG 747 !

The points being raised here are complely valid, and just because you're happy with an aircraft lacking is key areas of realism doesn't mean everyone else should be.

Don't get me wrong, there are some GREAT things about this product, like the graphics and sound, but the performance and systems are currently a big let-down in my honest opinion, and people are entiteld to voice that without being told 'get real, it's a simulator' ....... there are some VERY real add-ons out there for 40 euros.

David.

• Upvote 6

John, I find it interesting that you call the open issues with the AirbusX minor bugs. The flight model of the AirbusX bears too little resemblance to that of the real aircraft. It definitely looks like an Airbus, Aerosoft's modelling is nice, but it does not really fly like one.

Every one is going on about changes to the MCDU and so on, of course they all mean changes to the FMGC/FMGS (the MCDU is simply the display unit...), but I am not so stressed about its shortcomings. I would prefer a more Airbus like FDE... I guess this will only be possible with a custom FBW implementation, because default doesn't do it...

The supermodel of FSX, it has the looks, but doesn't have much of a brain...

Andrew

• Upvote 3

Indeed it has the looks. But you really have to draw the line somewhere with cockpit textures:

Airbus_series1_cockpit4.jpg

versus

airbusx_38.jpg

I'd love to see some advanced systems in the AB X. As of right now I'm not too disappointed with them. But..it's kind of just one of those things. I don't see any reason to perform a manual startup (without FADEC), but I'd like to know I could if I really wanted to. Same with working fire extinguishing bottles for FS Pax flights.;) I spent hours upon hours of reading Airbus walkthroughs and watching training videos -- even lost sleep over it! But first, we need these shotty bugs worked out! I appreciate the rapid speed Aerosoft uses to fire off these patches, but we're already on 1.11, and people are still claiming they're unable to fly a full flight without running into problems.

My friend, this is not an Airbus 320

lots of bugs on FMA, FCU, speeds, colors, basic flying, etc

I m actually rather being using my PSS or Wilco...

sorry to say it, :(

I hope with the new updates i ll get better...

Please, get real.