ILS frequency

VirtualVikingX

To enter the ILS freq, I have to know the right 3 letters, and these goes into the FMC.

But how do I know what letters to use?

Ex: ENGM 19R.

And how can I enter the ILS freq. manually?

The 3 letters for ILS for ENGM 19R are GSW freq 111.30

If you go to the RAD NAV page yoy can either enter GSW, the freq will then be selected automatically, and as soon as your within distance it will pick up on the ILS.

you can also enter the freq. Once the LOC is alive you will see the freq and GSW in your ND

The ILS you can find on charts ( Pfd link http://www.vaccsca.org/uploads/ENGM.pdf ) or even pull up the map inside FSX and go to your aiport, click on it and look at the runways.

I always simply enter the freqs. I didn't even know those things had a name... ;) I used to look up the freqs on the FSX map, but I had a CTD after accessing the map today, so from now on I will simply make a note from all the freqs of my arrival airport when I am planning the flight and enter the one I need when I get there.

It knows from the ILS frequency and the course you set which runway you are using. The course part is important because some airports us the same frequency for both ends of the runway, if you use the name though it avoids this confusion as the names are different (even if they use the same frequency) depending on which runway you are using .

• Upvote 1

It knows from the ILS frequency and the course you set which runway you are using. The course part is important because some airports us the same frequency for both ends of the runway, if you use the name though it avoids this confusion as the names are different (even if they use the same frequency) depending on which runway you are using .

Yes of course, if I use the freq. + course, I understand how it works. Thats just like the default planes. I mean how the plane knows the runway and ils freq. from a 3 letter abbriviation.

Yes of course, if I use the freq. + course, I understand how it works. Thats just like the default planes. I mean how the plane knows the runway and ils freq. from a 3 letter abbriviation.

the 3 letter abbriviation is stored in the database of the mcdu, and unique to the runway it is connected to. The same way the computer know ESSA is Arlanda or EGCC is Manchester

The quickest way to find the correct ILS frequency and course heading it to use the FSX map or use an external flight planning program like FSCommander, the later shows the details clearly on the map next to the ILS flags.

The 3 letter indentifier is usaully next to the frequency for example Heathrow ILS 09L chart below

http://www.ead.euroc..._2010-06-03.pdf

You can see top right of this chart the name of the ILS: ILS/DME I-AA RWY 09L and again in the centre of the chart is the name & frequency I-AA 110.30

Edit: Sorry Andy, I was writing this while you posted, nevermind hopefully someone finds it useful...

Because when you enter the name you don't have to enter a frequency or course as the database in the MCDU automatically knows this information and enters it for you, so its a little quicker. I haven't actually tried it in this bus yet but that's how it's supposed to work.

I don't think you can find those names in FSX itself. But why bother when you can simply enter the frequency...?

you can :) The 3 letter indentifier shows in the fsx map. click on the airport and all runways including ils freq and identifier are listed as well as the runways without. If you hover the mous over the green ils "beam" on the map you see them too.

Because when you enter the name you don't have to enter a frequency or course as the database in the MCDU automatically knows this information and enters it for you, so its a little quicker. I haven't actually tried it in this bus yet but that's how it's supposed to work.

I did it during the tutorial and it works indeed.

you can :) The 3 letter indentifier shows in the fsx map. click on the airport and all runways including ils freq and identifier are listed as well as the runways without. If you hover the mous over the green ils "beam" on the map you see them too.

Ah, right you are!!! Funny how I really never noticed that!!! :D Nice. I'll do that from now on! (The airport I am at now does have 3 letter identifiers, though... I won't save much time by entering the code instead of the frequency... ^_^ )

You still have to select the course as well though thats another step too :lol:

Yes, pity the MCDU isn't clever enough to add that too. ;) (Don't know if the real thing does that?)