Unable to manipulate MCP

Dave Lamb

I have read some of the issues that have arisen out of the debut of the Airbus X. Let me first say to Aerosoft, very nicely done; it isn't a "master's" aircraft, but it certainly handles reasonably well. There are some issues and some have been addressed in other posts, so I will disregard those with the understanding that Aerosoft is aware of these and is working on fixes.

The major issue I seem to have with the ABX is the fact that the FCU is non-functional:

1. I cannot do anything with the QNH except flip between 1013 and standard. I cannot get it to switch between hpa and hg.
  2. Speed: I can push/pull with the mouse, but I cannot change speed while in managed speed mode. Is locked at 250kts. So far, all landings have been with a/t disengaged.
  3. Heading: Again, can push/pull, but HDG will not display not can I change it.
  4. Altitude: Does switch between 100/1000 and push/pull, but only displays 00100. Cannot change it.
  5. VS, either -1800 down or +1800, cannot change it (not all above are with mouse clicks left or right according to instructions).
The MCDU issues I have are that place/bearing/distance cannot be entered. I assume this is intentional and if put into the FSX flight plan, it will work as advertised.

ECAM issues

1. I cannot switch between ECAM buttons; it seems to stay locked on HYD or ENG; tried both left/right mouse clicks, no joy.
  2. TOCONFIG button doesn't give me warning if one of the items is not green.
  3. RCL button inop.
Lastly, in non a/t operations, it's difficult to maintain proper speed and attitude; the aircraft tends to pitch wildly (probably because it's not suppose to be operated in non a/t mode most of the time) and had a couple of crashes as a result because the alpha floor didn't work as advertised and the bird stalled out.

Every new aircraft has bugs, this is to be expected. I will wait to hear if anyone else has experienced these specific problems. Anyone who has spent any significant time on FSX should KNOW that pretty much every new bird has bugs and we have to accept that going forward. It's just frustrating that there are some fundamental things that don't work as advertised and while I know they'll get fixed, it's like anything else, we expect something that works reasonably well when we purchase it.

This isn't a knock to Aerosoft specifically, it's just an observation about the state of FSX add on software.

Good for Aerosoft that they are aware and working on fixes.

Look forward to hearing some positive answers.

Kind regards,

Dave Lamb (BAW034)

A318/319/320/321 Captain

British Airways Virtual

• Aerosoft

I have read some of the issues that have arisen out of the debut of the Airbus X. Let me first say to Aerosoft, very nicely done; it isn't a "master's" aircraft, but it certainly handles reasonably well. There are some issues and some have been addressed in other posts, so I will disregard those with the understanding that Aerosoft is aware of these and is working on fixes.

The major issue I seem to have with the ABX is the fact that the FCU is non-functional:

1. I cannot do anything with the QNH except flip between 1013 and standard. I cannot get it to switch between hpa and hg.
  2. Speed: I can push/pull with the mouse, but I cannot change speed while in managed speed mode. Is locked at 250kts. So far, all landings have been with a/t disengaged.
  3. Heading: Again, can push/pull, but HDG will not display not can I change it.
  4. Altitude: Does switch between 100/1000 and push/pull, but only displays 00100. Cannot change it.
  5. VS, either -1800 down or +1800, cannot change it (not all above are with mouse clicks left or right according to instructions).
The MCDU issues I have are that place/bearing/distance cannot be entered. I assume this is intentional and if put into the FSX flight plan, it will work as advertised.

ECAM issues

1. I cannot switch between ECAM buttons; it seems to stay locked on HYD or ENG; tried both left/right mouse clicks, no joy.
  2. TOCONFIG button doesn't give me warning if one of the items is not green.
  3. RCL button inop.
Lastly, in non a/t operations, it's difficult to maintain proper speed and attitude; the aircraft tends to pitch wildly (probably because it's not suppose to be operated in non a/t mode most of the time) and had a couple of crashes as a result because the alpha floor didn't work as advertised and the bird stalled out.

Every new aircraft has bugs, this is to be expected. I will wait to hear if anyone else has experienced these specific problems. Anyone who has spent any significant time on FSX should KNOW that pretty much every new bird has bugs and we have to accept that going forward. It's just frustrating that there are some fundamental things that don't work as advertised and while I know they'll get fixed, it's like anything else, we expect something that works reasonably well when we purchase it.

This isn't a knock to Aerosoft specifically, it's just an observation about the state of FSX add on software.

Good for Aerosoft that they are aware and working on fixes.

Look forward to hearing some positive answers.

Kind regards,

Dave Lamb (BAW034)

A318/319/320/321 Captain

British Airways Virtual

Well most of what you explain are not actually bugs Dave as it seems to work for the other users. What you describe would make the whole product unusable and as you clearly see it's not like that.

A few comments though.

• The clickzone for the Hg hPa selection is rather small but it is there and it does work, see the image attached.
  • In managed mode you can not change speed as it is, well... in managed mode and will run as the computer thinks it is best
  • In managed mode you can not set the hdg for the same reason.
  • Most of the other comments also seem to suggest you are just not in the right mode for what you want. It's all rather well explained in the manual, the difference between selected and managed mode (Vertical Guidance modes) is explained in Vol-4 around on page 15.

I suggest you try the step by step flight and I am pretty sure you will understand the systems a lot better

post-43-128358639676_thumb.jpg

Soren, I have a ball mouse, not a wheel mouse, which may explain a lot.

Mathias, I meant selected mode not managed mode (sorry, I wrote this quite late at night).

I will try it with a wheel mouse and see if I get a different result and report back.

Thanks to you both...