Sluggish on Approach out of control at 100ft

jackj

LOVE this plane! Hands down best sounds ever, great graphics, frame rates, great flying experience... until finals... Then, very hard to handle and keep on steady approach when flying manually. I beleive the 100ft craziness has been addressed but thought I would also add my two cents smile.gif

Beautiful plane inside and out! I am sure you all will get a fix in place for the issues mentioned above. Am I doing something wrong on finals? Is there a trim setting you recommend with full landing config?

This is something we are aware of and there are other threads on it. It did occur in testing, however, we thought the problem had been solved but it's back.

Chris

Hi Chris,

No nothing at all that I noticed, I use an X-52 Pro joystick and a couple of Saitek throttle quads and Saitek Pedals, I think I almost greased the landing. It's a shame I didn't have FSFlight Keeper running for this short flight otherwise I could have found out the exact numbers.

Thanks Andy. I use the Logitech G940 with FSForce.

I'm finding the forces give me an indication that the nose is going to drop and I can compensate. I'm also thinking that the better hardware aleviates the problem.

If possible, next time you make a manual landing come in at around Vapp + 20 and see if you find any difference. I'm going to try the same with my hardware.

Cheers,

Chris

Actually a very good idea to experiment with the speeds !!

Please look clos on the elevator trim if that changes apruptly !

Either the trimwheel itself or the Trim idication on the ECAM FCTL Page.

Finn

I've made a couple of autolands and have had no problems with any nose down pitch below 400ft. Fuel at a normal low level. This is with the 320.

Hi, thanks for the info. It's not an issue with the autolands, they behave fine if the aircraft is configured properly, it is when manual landings are done, quite often there can a pitch down of the nose at 100ft, that is catching alot of people out.

Cheers,

Chris

If possible, next time you make a manual landing come in at around Vapp + 20 and see if you find any difference. I'm going to try the same with my hardware.

Cheers,

Chris

Will do, I'm done for today though lol, I've done about 3000 miles in total over 3 flights today.

Well first of all i havent testet that much but could it be as i have seen at 700 ft you were first are abel to use trim as over that only autopilot are abel, dont know if i does something wrong but if it then was trimed could do something unwanting just a gues. as havent flyeid that much yet :-) but would see tomorow i think

I do believe the problem is greater with higher fuel loads on landing (as it leads to higher landing and approach speeds necessary). If you plan your destination fuel accordingly and nail the approach speeds, the landing flare phase is actually quite smooth...

I wonder if a lot of people trying out the bus for the first time are flying with full fuel (like I did once)?

No commercial jet should land with full fuel on board, not in my knowledge at least...

Andrew

last test was with very low fuel, same issues. VAPP calculated at 120kts.

I've been doing similar. I think the issue may be related to the trim, possibly try adding a bit of trim up on finals, I've found this helps a little.

Chris

Ok, but why are you waiting to disconnect the AP at 100ft?

Even at 1000-2000ft the nose will drop on AP disconnect due to the way the AP has the trim set. I don't think that you are helping the situation by waiting til the last minute to take control.

Chris

I don't think he's waiting until 100 ft to disconnect. I think he was simply stating the two instences he notices a drop. I don't have any problem with AP(just make sure the aircraft is stable), however I do have the 100ft. drop.

Ok, but why are you waiting to disconnect the AP at 100ft?

Even at 1000-2000ft the nose will drop on AP disconnect due to the way the AP has the trim set. I don't think that you are helping the situation by waiting til the last minute to take control.

Chris

Not disconnecting at 100ft, I'm saying the AC goes into a violent nose down on AP disconnect, for me at 1,500ft. And again at 100ft in full manual on final. Doing another test flight now with 0 pax, 0 cargo and 20% fuel. Interesting to note that pitch trim doesn't work at all, It is stuck at 0 no matter what input I give, both on the trim wheel and F/CTL info screen. Maybe broken trim has something to do with this?

***EDIT***

Pitch trim doesn't work over 100ft? Seems like the aircraft is passing through some threshold between auto trim and manual trim and is going berserk. Noticed also the rudder doesn't work in flight? I'm no airbus expert so can someone explain if this is normal?

So after another round of T&Gs, here is my hypothesis.

When the aircraft is under autopilot control, auto trim seems to work normally, you can see the AP moving the trim wheel and trim adjustments are registering on F/CTL.

However when the AC is under manual control trim seems to be stuck at 0 all the time. It seems like the FBW is trying to add control surface deflection to maintain pitch rather than trimming the aircraft.

This would explain the rapid nose down on AP disconnect, as the aircraft switches from AP with working trim, to manual with trim stuck at 0. And would also explain the nose down at 100ft as the FBW seems to suddenly stop adding the control surface deflection to maintain pitch and manual trim becomes active again, at 0 degrees.

Anyone else care to do a few flights to confirm?

PS I love the bus and am fully confident Aerosoft will sort these issues :D

When the aircraft is under autopilot control, auto trim seems to work normally, you can see the AP moving the trim wheel and trim adjustments are registering on F/CTL.

However when the AC is under manual control trim seems to be stuck at 0 all the time. It seems like the FBW is trying to add control surface deflection to maintain pitch rather than trimming the aircraft.

This would explain the rapid nose down on AP disconnect, as the aircraft switches from AP with working trim, to manual with trim stuck at 0. And would also explain the nose down at 100ft as the FBW seems to suddenly stop adding the control surface deflection to maintain pitch and manual trim becomes active again, at 0 degrees.

PS I love the bus and am fully confident Aerosoft will sort these issues biggrin.gif

well it was also what i mean because why cant you use manual trim over 700 ft ? also tryeid to turn the plane at that altitude the control works more effective in some way unrealsitic. it have an effect like an car whit out servo over 700 and under 700 it has servo.

Firstly i would like to say what a pleasing aircraft this is.

Well done to the devs of the aircraft. I have done some testing with this 100ft drama and have also found a steep nose down control problem on a manual approach.

Trim seems to be non effective in helping with the issue.

Just thought i would add to this discussion, fuel parameters correct and no other outstanding feature or function that i can see is on to cause this problem.

It's a great aircraft, just feels like you hit a bad windshear when this occurs Lol. Btw my os is Win7 64.

Cheers.

Just landedn the A320 from the outside and noticed the following :

The elevators were moved half the way up to keep a constant sinkrate!

The FBW does not trim the AC to maintain a certain bank or pitch it sets the elevators and ailerons!

And there lies the problem because when passing 100ft GND the elevators return to neutral position nad the AC beginns to swing.

Kind RGds, Patrick

Yup that sounds about right... Plus it would be cool if the trim wheel actually moved. I'm sure with this fixed the flap transition will be smoother as well, i noticed the same loss in stability and wild deflection of the elevator throughout the approach so not just at 100ft.. but systematic as you suggest.

PS I love the bus and am fully confident Aerosoft will sort these issues :D

The default airbus also has this problem.

I downloaded the Project Airbus and merged it with the default VC and this doesnt happen.

I think its a problem with the FSX Fly-by-Wire