'the New Sim'

• Aerosoft

There is a lot of discussion about possibilities about a new simulator and it is all rather exiting. But to show what's currently possible I like to show what Rise of Flight can do it in's latest edition. This is NOT a game but a very serious simulation, so serious I got problems finding the time to keep up to date in it (even rookies seem to be able to shoot me down now). The latest versions solve all the issues many of our customers had with previous version (like the always online thing that is now not needed etc). It's matured very much. Certainly in graphics as I will show you.

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

• Upvote 1

Wonderful pictures !

I really must make the effort with RoF. Its a game I really looked forward too, but just haven't had time to get to grips with. Anyway, how can you love air combat and NOT want RoF ? :)

RoF is the best flight sim on the market, IMO. It has really become my primary flight sim. I rarely use FSX or X-Plane anymore, because RoF's graphics and flight models are much, much better. Obviously, it's limited to WWI. But that's fine with me, because that's my favorite period in history. (And I love history.) :) I do wish though that I could fly a Cessna or Cub out of my hometown airport in a sim as realistic as that; that's why I'm looking forward to AFS2013.;)

I remember reviewing this sim when it was very new.

To be honest, I didn't like it back than, and we ended up giving it only 1 in 4 stars. The comment with that rating is: this product needs more work.

Well, I did update my ROF installation a couple of weeks ago (and just did it again) and it seems like just about every negative comment I wrote in that review has now been fixed or changed.

I really should try to find the time to write a new review on it, because it certainly deserves way more than 1 star now!

RoF is the only combat flight sim I play at the moment, bought it on day one as a download from the Aerosoft shop and have watched it evolve into the masterpiece it now is, and the future for RoF looks great as well, what with the new career mode, twin engined aircraft, multi crew bombers ETC, anyone looking to buy it now should really go for the Iron Cross edition though, this comes as std patched up pretty close to the current version and comes with a couple of extra aircraft too, there are quite a few add-on aircraft available now with a lot more to come, I have them all now.

What Mathijs's screen shots cant show are the wonderful well researched flight models and damage models, seriously, these are the best flight models for a PC simulation ever, the damage modelling is wonderfully done too ... I mean once you get behind an enemy aircraft and start filling it with lead (aim for the engine or pilot if you can) you can conserve ammo by observing the deteriorating condition, many times I've just followed and not shot anymore because I knew I'd done enough damage, and right enough you will often see a wing soon crumble or slowly tear off ... very satisfying, sometimes you will see the pilot slump in his seat and know you have killed him, you can then disengage because that plane is now out of the fight and will soon crash, you really can get up close in a dogfight to see all this detail.

I'm no online Ace, but have fun trying!

Worth watching for is Olegs forthcoming Storm of War Battle of Britain sim, looks like his graphics are on track for beta stuff and if he can get the flight models, user interface and online play working right, then we will have another winner on our hands ... I expect it to be a bit rough around the edges on a day one release though, but if it matures like RoF has done, it will be worth the wait.

For a weekly screen shot digest Click here

Hello Strid,

Firstly I edited your post as we dont want to hear that sort of stuff here its not necessary and wont be tolerated so please keep your thoughts on that matter to yourself.

As for VAT if you purchase it from the European Site the tax will still be taken off as your from outside the EU.

Hi Strid, no getting away with the VAT I'm afraid (assuming you are from a nation that has to pay it) But RoF is worth every penny, if I were in the market for a WW1 sim and knew what I know now from using it, I'd be on RoF ICE in a heartbeat, you get a map and and awards sheet as well as additional aircraft that I never got as a day one buyer ... great value ... remember too that VAT goes up in the new year to 20% (in the UK) so its not going to get any cheaper.

You do know you can download the current demo, get a three day trial key for online play (I think its 3 day?) before committing to buy a key to unlock the sim, try that ... my only fear is that unless you can spare a good bit of time in those three days you might not have enough time to get a taste for RoF, its a sim that certainly grows on you.

EDIT: it appears as if you are a from nation that does not pay VAT? absolute no brainer then, go get it :)

I love the memory counter in the display setup. It's a good way to show people the consequences of moving the sliders too far to the right. And I liked the machine gun that was fun.

My original comments on this sim were less than complimentary, i even sent my copy back to where i bought it as i was fed up with it. Having said all that, it wouldn't be fair of me to say that about the current version, as from what i've read, it's finally turning into the WWI sim that it should have been right from the beginning. Giving serious thought to getting it again and see what all the fuss is about ;)

Just read this in the product description which made me chuckle

"New! G-effects with blackout and red out and pilot wound effects featuring blood splatter, ringing ears and control difficulty."

**EDIT**

Ah what the hell, only live once, bought it now... Downloading as i speak :)

I love the memory counter in the display setup. It's a good way to show people the consequences of moving the sliders too far to the right. And I liked the machine gun that was fun.

I see.

I don't mean to be rude, but you haven't got the slightest idea about RoF my friend.

Cool whatever I don't need to it's not up to standards by any means either as a game or flight simulator. It's not $60 dollars worth of game plain and simple. SHow me it can do more than a basic skybox and flat 2d terrain...

Cool whatever I don't need to it's not up to standards by any means either as a game or flight simulator. It's not $60 dollars worth of game plain and simple. SHow me it can do more than a basic skybox and flat 2d terrain...

Whats a Skybox?