Atc At Andras Field

Hi Everyone,

Im here to express my views on Air Traffic Control at Andras Field. I think there shouk=ld be a tower because as the CFI over at Andras Flying School we teach all of our students procedures and everything you need to know about flying and operating a plane and ofcourse this involves a big part of working with Air Traffic Control. We are a very busy airfield and its only going to get busier with the amount of people buying plots and entering into fly-ins and fly-outs so this is again why I think we should have Air Traffic Control. Ok, it doesn't have to be manned all the time. Lets look at IVAO/VATSIM the whole world isn't manned all at once, people go on when they feel like going on and I think we should have the same approach at Andras! I think it's also important to have ATC because at the flying school we take our students out of Andras and to different airfields online to where most probably ATC is online and ready to help us. Ok right we get to the airfield... AH! The student has no training whatsoever on how to talk, operate and coordinate with ATC at this time because we do not have any Air Traffic Control at Andras, and again its hard to train to deal with Air Traffic Control when we have no Air Traffic Control. IFR Traffic (Our Jet Operations - Flying School) Need Air Traffic Control definately! Otherwise we cannot commence training our Jet Students at Andras without any Air Traffic Control, Please consider this also as this is very important.

I for one would love to do controlling at Andras field and also alot of flying, do a mix of the two.

So, everyone please consider this because its a very important matter and remember its not a case of you have to man the Tower its whenever you feel like it, we are a relaxed community. ATC is important and the airspace around Andras at the moment is busy and get busier.

Please consider this for the whole community, the flying school and its students :)

Best Regards,

Tristan Marchent

I agree with you as a soon to be student of the flight school.

We should have some atc at least when someone is available. Maybe just during flyins to start with and events.

On the other hand it may scare some people away, like those that do not want to use vatsim. I myself am eager to learn how to communicate with atc as Ive been flying on msfs for 15 years and have never reached over that hurdle and see vatsim as being too professional to start atc with.

Just my 2 cents but I do like the idea.

We could also have a flyin just with ATC just for new people so they can learn to use it as a whole and are not the only plane in the sky at the time. An ATC training session. With time constraints this would be difficult to put together but I see it as being possible. Thanks for listening

I agree with you as a soon to be student of the flight school.

We should have some atc at least when someone is available. Maybe just during flyins to start with and events.

On the other hand it may scare some people away, like those that do not want to use vatsim. I myself am eager to learn how to communicate with atc as Ive been flying on msfs for 15 years and have never reached over that hurdle and see vatsim as being too professional to start atc with.

Just my 2 cents but I do like the idea.

We could also have a flyin just with ATC just for new people so they can learn to use it as a whole and are not the only plane in the sky at the time. An ATC training session. With time constraints this would be difficult to put together but I see it as being possible. Thanks for listening

Thankyou for Addressing your views Mike :) Much Appreciated and I do agree with you on you second point about it could be scary for some people which is 100% understandable, but as a community if we all chip in to help those people who if for any reason are a bit scared of working with ATC at Andras then we should! We could possibly come up with a manual for beginners towards ATC to go through so they get alot more comfortable with the procedures and the operations of Air Traffic Control. ATC training, Mike, Great idea! We could all, or whoever wants to train, get onto the VAE teamspeak and we could have ATC Instructors which give about 5 Lessons (Hour each) all to do with ATC Training and whilst training we use traffic on the VAE Server to act as Traffic to train the ATC Students :) If everything goes to plan I will start on getting a manual started for the beginners :) Thanks for posting you views Mike, again greatly appreciated!

ATC courses sound fun. I've joined VATSIM but never tried it, as it felt like the first hurdle was just too big, everyone was way past my level... If there were ATC courses I would love that, ATC communication courses for pilots as well as how to guide aircraft from the ground. I can't wait to see what kind of training you come up with!

I agree that we could use some form of ATC and it would be upto each individual as to whether they would be able/prepared to do ATC. For this to work professionally then the following points I feel needs to be completed prior to bringing this into use would be :-

1. Airfield Diagram would have to be revamped, Parking positions marked on the main aprons etcetera, Taxyways clearly marked along with holding possitions. These would also have to be updated into the scenery.

2. Coords for VRP's within a 10nm radius placed on the diagram for VFR Flights.

3. Charts for both SID's and STAR's made available for IFR Flights.

4. Helicopter arrival/departure routes.

5. Seaplane route charts made available.

I've probably missed a few but you get the jist of it i'm sure.

I agree that we could use some form of ATC and it would be upto each individual as to whether they would be able/prepared to do ATC. For this to work professionally then the following points I feel needs to be completed prior to bringing this into use would be :-

1. Airfield Diagram would have to be revamped, Parking positions marked on the main aprons etcetera, Taxyways clearly marked along with holding possitions. These would also have to be updated into the scenery.

This can be done. I was looking over the forum last night and came to a topic about ILS Charts for Rwy 09 and they were made by Alex (Username: Schlapperklange) perhaps he could chip in and make some Aerodrome charts. As the scenery develops, hopefully updates will be fewer as we tweak everything to everyones liking.

2. Coords for VRP's within a 10nm radius placed on the diagram for VFR Flights.

This can be done easily using a VFR 1:500 000 map and then also again put onto a chart (Obviously this would require Photographic scenery)

3. Charts for both SID's and STAR's made available for IFR Flights.

Alex is onto this ;) This is the topic I came across last night http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=37122

4. Helicopter arrival/departure routes.

These dont have to be in a chart they can just be a text document reminding the pilot of the route. This can also be the same for VFR departures via a VRP ;)

5. Seaplane route charts made available.

Perhaps, Im not sure if this is done at real Seaplane ports... Will check but I would think the seaplane charts could just be attached to the main Aerodrome chart and then coordinated with the tower when online ;)

This can be done easily using a VFR 1:500 000 map and then also again put onto a chart (Obviously this would require Photographic scenery)

I'm thinking also along the lines of Sector Files for SquawkRadar which would be used for the Controller as he will not be using FSX.

These dont have to be in a chart they can just be a text document reminding the pilot of the route. This can also be the same for VFR departures via a VRP ;)

Again, I'm looking at the Controllers point of view both on a chart and in the Sector File.

Perhaps, Im not sure if this is done at real Seaplane ports... Will check but I would think the seaplane charts could just be attached to the main Aerodrome chart and then coordinated with the tower when online ;)

Again, see above but not really an issue as that type of a/c could be vectored by ATC. Just makes the Controllers workload less stressfull.

Hi guys - agree with the need for some ATC at Andras. I reckon we can make the transition from MS FSX ATC/no ATC, to Andras ATC in a very relaxed way, certainly relative to VATSIM. I'm seriously not knocking VATSIM as it performs very professionally at what it does, it can, however be very intimidating - believe me, although it's a few years since I've flown, I found ATC via VATSIM more nerve-wracking than the real thing.

Yes, it is a matter of learning and experience to feel comfortable with ATC - we should give it a try in the relaxed atmosphere of Andras, I think everyone will enjoy the experience.

Sim.

I've sent an email to the powers that be in regards to SquawkRadar and having a Sector File produced. Also the training package and will have to wait till I get a reply.

VAE guys do have atc capability my advice would be go and grab Robert or 1 of the team in teamspeak and see what you can do if no joy them mail me and meet me in ts and we will see what comes out of it i will try my best guys

regards

Craig

VAE guys do have atc capability my advice would be go and grab Robert or 1 of the team in teamspeak and see what you can do if no joy them mail me and meet me in ts and we will see what comes out of it i will try my best guys

regards

Craig

Hi Craig,

I will be on tomorrow night (UK Time) if your on then I will catch up with you :) If not, im sure we will meet up some other time on TS :) Thankyou for your help and I hope we can meet up to discuss this :)

James, Any update on the sector files? And the response from SquawkRadar?

Yep, got an email yesterday and sector files will no doubt be available in a few days. I'm arranging training at present so will let you know when I'm up and running. Theres a few updates needed chart wise so when I can get a moment I'll check whats needed and ask.

Yep, got an email yesterday and sector files will no doubt be available in a few days. I'm arranging training at present so will let you know when I'm up and running. Theres a few updates needed chart wise so when I can get a moment I'll check whats needed and ask.

Great James! Thankyou! If you need some help with the training, be sure to PM me or email me because I too have alot of ATC Experience especially online at IVAO and I also fly in the real world so am used to working with ATC :)

Best regards and thankyou once again,

Tristan

James,

Just had an email from VAE to all who signed up as an ATC when registering, take a look below, maybe useful or handy:

To whom it may concern,

We have just initiated our Air Traffic Control Training Program.This is very exciting news. Through our program(which is mandatory) wewill certify each member in the following positions: ClearanceDelivery/Ground Control, Tower, Approach/Departure, Center, and FlightServices Station. There will be a list of things you will need to beproficient in to advance up the ranks. All Controllers who sign up startat the training level and will work their way up a rank system. The ranksystem goes as: Trainee, Local Controller, Tracon Controller, CenterController, Senior Controller, and Instructor. All records of positionswill be recorded on the website and flight server. All trainee's canexpect to get a basic training of how to use the ATC Radar Client andalso a crash course on basic Air Traffic Control knowledge. So all thatbeing said, if you are interested in starting your virtual Air TrafficControl Career please email me at Chris@Virtual-Aviation.org

Thanks,Chris Fronczek

Air Traffic Manager

Virtual Aviation Experience

Also, when we get everything sorted out, we need a head of ATC Operations ;) Probably should email Aerosoft when we've got the plan set in stone :) It's just an idea but that would be a very important role.