Aerosoft Airbus X - Preview

Hello Folks,

Looks nice on the side of a trailer does she not ;)

cool, you should bring one of those signs to every (real) airport you have done for fsx yet^^

• Aerosoft

The captain only assess a situation and make a decision based on what he is given by ATC e.g: "Condition report of runway: wet". "Condition report of runway: contaminated" You do get worried when I tell you I never experience a contaminated runway so to speak as if it doesn't exist (but it does and it is a serious topic). (hence my earlier post about procedures). If you open your flight manual (and that applies to all manual), you will find that a runway is considered wet when the depth of water on is less than 3 mm, If the depth is greater than 3 mm the runway comes into category "slippery" or "contaminated". These differences in depths obviously affect the actual landing distance.

An aircraft requires 40 percent more runway to stop on a wet runway. On a contaminated runway the figure increases by 300 percent. Thus, if an aircraft requires 6,000 feet of runway for a landing on dry runways, it would require 8,400 feet on a wet runway, and more than 18,000 feet of runway if the conditions are contaminated. When a pilot receives an ATC report that says the runway is wet, he assumes that the depth of water is less than 3 mm and that a 40 percent addition to the landing distance will make for a safe landing. In reality, the actual depth of water on a runway can be as much as 3 inches e.g. during a heavy downpour. This would bring it into contaminated category.

So again, not something the flight crew is able to go and check for themselves I am afraid. Some pilots on this forum might be able to add to that or else. I am not sure I answered your question Mathijs.

Regards

D

Thanks for that post.

Now I know the figures you give, but to be honest I never understood the physics behind them. See some people here know I drive fast cars as a hobby. And because I am a lucky SOB I also drive some cars that some folks call hyper cars. They use aerodynamics to brake from high speed because it is just safer and more effective then using the wheels. At 280 km/h changing the AoA of the spoiler in these cars from downforce to being a flat plate in the wind is like hitting a wall. FAR more effective then hitting the wheel brakes.

Now these things work the same no matter what the weather and an aircraft has loads of them. Flaps, slats, spoilers, airbrakes etc. So why is the runway condition so important? I would think aerodynamic braking would play a major factor but obviously it does not. Is it the mass of a A320 compared to a Bugatti/Porsche etc?

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft

I may have missed this but do the windshield wipers actually clear the rain off the VC windows? (If that's even possible? I feel like i've seen it before with the CS 757. maybe not?)

The wipers got two speed, individual on both sides, with 4 different sound files (left/slow, left/fast. right/slow, right/fast). But we do not do rain drops on the glass. We know it can be done because it has been shown, but those attempts cut fps by half. a price we were not willing pay pay.

• Upvote 5

• Aerosoft

Really nice repaints. Where are we going to find them for downloads? Thanks.

RayM

We will be offering repaints as packs (with installers etc) based on regions (NW Europe, SE Europe, Asia, Rest) and we'll also offer the repainters options to upload their files individually. Of course we claim zero rights on the great efforts of the repainters.

• Upvote 4

• Aerosoft

Hello everyone.

I still have my question and find it unanswered. I know when you show pictures of ND and PFD that there maybe some bugs that are due to beta stage of the product at the time the pictures were taken.

But my question is related to the sound. Is this "bug" gonna be fixed? Or is this due to the way FSX models the turbine sound and can't be fixed (which would be dissapointing)?

Best regards,

Mat

I am not sure what bug you refer to.

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Hello everybody

When I see the pictures of the AirbusX, I can't wait to fly the Airbus.

What I hope that it is not as complex as the aircraft by PMDG. What would be good if there would be a help for people who can English not so good.

Greetings

Basti

Not sure what your home tongue is, but we'll have the full manuals English, German, French, Spanish, Dutch and Russian.

But look at it this way. The following would work and it would be 'realistic' in a real Airbus:

On the runway, flight plan loaded:

• Full throttle
  • Lift off
  • Wheels up (ignore flaps, the system will handle it)
  • Activate managed mode for LNAV and VNAV
  • Get a drink. Leave throttle at max, speed is managed
    • Intercept ILS
    • Click Autoland
    • Wheels down
    • Slow down
    • Flaps down
    • Land
    • Now the speed management on landing we did not add but we are seriously thinking about it. When that's added your whole flight is condensed into moving the throttle twice and 10 manual actions (gears, flaps etc). Is that realistic? Hell no, it never happens like that, the pilot would get fired. But the passengers would almost certainly not notice. Would a real Airbus work like that? Well opinions differ and the three friendly busdrivers ALL (!) asked to remain unknown but they all more or acknowledged. That's how an Airbus works.
  • Upvote 6

Good day,

I have been following this thread for the last months and I am confused about the Save Panel Function as described in the manual ("flight plan not being saved").

Does that mean that we will lose the MCDU data (F-PLAN page) when saving a flight and loading it later?

Err... I hope not and I misunderstand how it is working and this plane will include a reliable Panelsave like LDS or PMDG add-ons.

Maybe someone could clear that up, thank you in advance.

Regards,

Christian

EDIT: On a side note, I hope that my username is OK. It's my usual forum syntax (initials_board).

The wipers got two speed, individual on both sides, with 4 different sound files (left/slow, left/fast. right/slow, right/fast). But we do not do rain drops on the glass. We know it can be done because it has been shown, but those attempts cut fps by half. a price we were not willing pay pay.

Shame. It would be good to have these as optional. Tick box style, enable or disable. (ideal world I know) because the dedicated PC that runs my simulator could definitely accommodate for the extra FPS needed. oh well..

Regards

D

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Shame. It would be good to have these as optional. Tick box style, enable or disable. (ideal world I know) because the dedicated PC that runs my simulator could definitely accommodate for the extra FPS needed. oh well..

Regards

D

Why?

Adding these animations takes up a few Kb and no FPS if you don't activate them.

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Good day,

I have been following this thread for the last months and I am confused about the Save Panel Function as described in the manual ("flight plan not being saved").

Does that mean that we will lose the MCDU data (F-PLAN page) when saving a flight and loading it later?

Err... I hope not and I misunderstand how it is working and this plane will include a reliable Panelsave like LDS or PMDG add-ons.

Maybe someone could clear that up, thank you in advance.

Regards,

Christian

EDIT: On a side note, I hope that my username is OK. It's my usual forum syntax (initials_board).

I'll check on that, not 100% confident. Your username is fine by us!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that post.

Now I know the figures you give, but to be honest I never understood the physics behind them. See some people here know I drive fast cars as a hobby. And because I am a lucky SOB I also drive some cars that some folks call hyper cars. They use aerodynamics to brake from high speed because it is just safer and more effective then using the wheels. At 280 km/h changing the AoA of the spoiler in these cars from downforce to being a flat plate in the wind is like hitting a wall. FAR more effective then hitting the wheel brakes.

Now these things work the same no matter what the weather and an aircraft has loads of them. Flaps, slats, spoilers, airbrakes etc. So why is the runway condition so important? I would think aerodynamic braking would play a major factor but obviously it does not. Is it the mass of a A320 compared to a Bugatti/Porsche etc?

SOP at my company takes the the mass of the plane in consideration when landing. It is advised to conduct a firm touchdown, use max reverse thrust as soon as possible after touchdown (thrust efficiency is higher at high airspeed) Confirm extensions of ground spoilers. Do not delay nose wheel onto the runway (increases weight on wheels and activates systems associated with the nose landinggear squat switches) We don't use auto breaks. The biggest problem with contaminated runways is hydroplaning (aquaplaning) In combination with crosswinds, it can get rather tricky. We for instance don't use the tiller above taxi speed in these conditions only rudder and differential breaking. I like cars too. British classics are my favorites. But unless you're Senna (the master) no spoiler will keep you on the track when the tires cant squeeze the water from under it's treads anymore.

Not sure what your home tongue is, but we'll have the full manuals English, German, French, Spanish, Dutch and Russian.

I love you! An aircraft manual in Spanish!! It's great. Thanks Aerosoft.

I am not sure what bug you refer to.

I'm referring to the video cbd80 posted some days ago.

When you start the engines you can hear the bug. The first step of an engine start is that the fans start to run powered by some kind of pneumatics. During the second part the fuel valves open etc. and the "real" ignition begins which brings N1 and N2 to operating range. This is often indicated by (besides the engine indications) a deep grumbling sound that gets higher as the blades start to accelerate to idle (well - slightly above before returning to idle). You managed to put in both sounds, but the transition from "the first soundfile"(till 0:54 on the video) during the pneumatic start to "the second sound file" (beginning ca. 0:54 on the video) during the "real ignition" is somewhat abrupt - I mean very very abrupt. It should be much smoother as if you'd play just one soundfile instead of two.

And the second bug(?) is that the engines spool up to much during start before they reach idle (atleast that's how it sounds)(ca 0:57 on the video)

For examples just see the video posted by cbd80 and play the parts of the video I mentioned.

It's very hard to explain in English but I did my very best ;-)

Do you understand what I mean?

Best regards

Mat

Thanks for that post.

With a contaminated runway there surely would be, on take off, a slower than mormal acceleration thereby using more runway, and on landing, a risk of aquaplaning.

Rob.

• Aerosoft

SOP at my company takes the the mass of the plane in consideration when landing. It is advised to conduct a firm touchdown, use max reverse thrust as soon as possible after touchdown (thrust efficiency is higher at high airspeed) Confirm extensions of ground spoilers. Do not delay nose wheel onto the runway (increases weight on wheels and activates systems associated with the nose landinggear squat switches) We don't use auto breaks. The biggest problem with contaminated runways is hydroplaning (aquaplaning) In combination with crosswinds, it can get rather tricky. We for instance don't use the tiller above taxi speed in these conditions only rudder and differential breaking. I like cars too. British classics are my favorites. But unless you're Senna (the master) no spoiler will keep you on the track when the tires cant squeeze the water from under it's treads anymore.

How effective is reverse thrust on the engines used on the Airbus? I know that some engines really get a lot of thrust pointed forwards and others just dump all forward pointed aft.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that post.

At 200km/hr, aerodynamic breaking may be very effective, but the aircraft typically has to slow down to 45km/hr or less before it can turn off the runway safely. At those speeds, wheel breaks are necessary - and surface contamination becomes important.

Also, you drive Bugattis? :mad: Some people have all the luck.

• Aerosoft

When you start the engines you can hear the bug. The first step of an engine start is that the fans start to run powered by some kind of pneumatics. During the second part the fuel valves open etc. and the "real" ignition begins which brings N1 and N2 to operating range. This is often indicated by (besides the engine indications) a deep grumbling sound that gets higher as the blades start to accelerate to idle (well - slightly above before returning to idle). You managed to put in both sounds, but the transition from "the first soundfile" during the pneumatic start to "the second sound file" during the "real ignition" is somewhat abrupt - I mean very very abrupt. It should be much smoother as if you'd play just one soundfile instead of two.

And the second bug(?) is that the engines spool up to much during start before they reach idle (atleast that's how it sounds).

For examples just see my last post and play the parts of the video I mentioned.

It's very hard to explain in English but I did my very best ;-)

Do you understand what I mean?

Think I do. But I also think I do not agree fully. Just listened to it again and compared it to my own recordings (both in VC, the point we care most about) and I think it is pretty close. I do not see how this could be done better at the current moment.

Keep in mind that youtube is the pits for developers. You'll always find a video where the engines sound like lady gaga on my daughters ipod. It's the same with wing flex. People keep sending me vids from the wing seats showing the wing tips moving violently up and down. What they simply fail to see if that their camera point of view (body, neck, head, arms etc) is a lot more flexible then the wings. When I show them how the window they shoot through seems to be 100% level with the wing tips they never send anything back.

There are no plans to change the sound files, sorry of that is a bug for you.

• Upvote 2

Looking at discrete trends is a good place to start with the subject of stopping an aircraft. A-10A charts happen to be within arms reach, it's a light aircraft relative to medium/large airliners, and it has huge drag surfaces; so I'll use it as an example. At 50,000lbs; a clean A-10 requires ~2,150ft to stop on a dry runway with flaps and speed brakes fully extended. At an identical Landing Index; with flaps and speed brakes fully retracted, the distance is only increased to ~2,800ft (~30% increase). A couple of reasons for this, and a good place to start is drag force. In the world Aeronautics, we're used to looking at coefficients since they are a great point of comparison between aerodynamic bodies (similar to BMEP in internal combustion engines). But, we're presently concerned with Newton's Second Law, so force is the order of the day. When air is the only fluid involved, Drag force is defined as:

Fd = 0.5*Air_Density*Cross_sectional_Area*Cd*Velocity^2

You can quickly see that the only two dynamic variables during a single landing run are Cd and Velocity. At approach/landing speeds, Cd is primarily a function of Reynolds Number; which is used to quantitatively establish the ratio between pressure and viscous forces on an object traveling through a fluid. It is defined as:

Rn = Air_Density*Characteristic_Length*Velocity/Absolute_Air_Viscosity

Trends based on Reynolds number tend vary by order of magnitude (10^1, 10^2, .... , 10^N) and between 20kts & 150kts, there's not going to be much change. So, Drag Force is heavily dependent on velocity. This makes drag devices relatively effective at high speed, but exponentially worse as speed decreases. This is where ground interaction comes into play..and where the physics gets really complex. But, the good news is that we all have a qualitative understanding of weather conditions on vehicle performance....hopefully not too many cars were smashed in the process.

In brief; empirical data and the associated physics (causality) tend to support the notion that drag devices provide a relatively large contribution initially, but stopping power is primarily dependent on surface/wheel interaction.

• Upvote 2

Hi, I don't work for Aerosoft I'm just involved in the Beta testing. However, what makes you assume that most of the products customer base is on this forum?

Have you looked at the forum statistics? The number of people contributing to this forum wouldn't constitute sufficient customer base for a product of this scale.

The customer base of this product as with many others is far beyond this forum.

The majority of people that come onto the forum are pure enthusiasts, which is why there are so many calls for advanced features.

I trust that Aerosoft knows it's Market.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Is it possible that since market for this product are users who are not expected to be very knowledgeable, that Aerosoft expects that they would not know, or care, if certain features were not correct? And does this affect the priority you assign to issues? Please don't think me rude if I ask what standards you, and the other beta testers, are testing against? Are you using real world knowledge, documentation and procedures or is it a more ad hoc affair? Mathias was expecting his little easter egg to take at least thirty minutes, I hope he is not going to get similar surprises on Monday.

• Upvote 1