Looks Like Microsofts New Sim Is On The Way

cmpbllsjc

• Aerosoft

And you might be confident that they will be backward compatible with libraries of FSX, but I really hope that they don't try to guarantee this.

That does not matter a whole lot btw. If the developers had any sense they would have moved to modern standards (even if that means not being as fast as can be) and it's easy to export that to any format. We can export our latest files in a day or so to Xplane (if we delete a lot of details), FS2004 (if we delete even more), Open Flight (for professional sims) or for shooter games. #d modeling is all the same, only the export is different these days. That's why we say that we will love MS Flight if it is an open simulator. It's just one more platform we can work for. Orbx might say they are an MS shop, we're not. We work for many kinds of sims, some you know, some you don't know yet, some you will never know.

• Aerosoft

Hmmm, it does look like MS are talking to some developers and not others and Mathijs here confirms Aerosoft have not been approached by MS so far on Flight, far less signing anything ... MS seem to just stagger from one PR disaster to the next! maybe they are sulking with Aerosoft for having the audacity to talk about making their own Simulator?

Hey you REALLY think I would tell you if we would be working with MS? I mean not even counting the NDA that would make you hand over your first born to MS if you spilled the beans?

My NDA's include the penalty of having my dog Patapoef spending some time in your house if you do not keep silent. Now he's about 60Kg of rather smelly and leaking Newfoundlander who's greatest pleasure it is to sit on your lap being totally and utterly in love with you. Their NDA will sell your DNA for money if you even talk about something in your sleep. And we know we signed a lot of them. That their PR is not up to scratch right now, well, I got info they agree on that. I wanted our Gamecom stand to have a big banner "MS WHY DID YOU DROP 'SIMULATOR' FROM THE TITLE?' but my CEO was to civilized and smart for that.

But never underestimate Microsoft. The IT world is full of people who did and now make iPhone fart apps. They got some serious good folks around and resources that we can't match. But just think of this little fact.... You got the game engine and the content. Now who got the content? Aerosoft or Microsoft?

• Aerosoft

Don't know, but as far as I can tell the latest basket I see as far as flight simulation is FSX, until I see Flight or AFS2013 up and running I will not be able to make a decision on the fact of is putting all my eggs in one basket is such a good decision, show me another basket.

Well there is Rise of Flight, which I claim is the best flight simulator on the market at this moment. It might not suit your kind of flying, but in graphics, engine, dynamics etc it cannot beaten.

• Upvote 1

Hey you REALLY think I would tell you if we would be working with MS? I mean not even counting the NDA that would make you hand over your first born to MS if you spilled the beans?

My NDA's include the penalty of having my dog Patapoef spending some time in your house if you do not keep silent. Now he's about 60Kg of rather smelly and leaking Newfoundlander who's greatest pleasure it is to sit on your lap being totally and utterly in love with you. Their NDA will sell your DNA for money if you even talk about something in your sleep. And we know we signed a lot of them. That their PR is not up to scratch right now, well, I got info they agree on that. I wanted our Gamecom stand to have a big banner "MS WHY DID YOU DROP 'SIMULATOR' FROM THE TITLE?' but my CEO was to civilized and smart for that.

But never underestimate Microsoft. The IT world is full of people who did and now make iPhone fart apps. They got some serious good folks around and resources that we can't match. But just think of this little fact.... You got the game engine and the content. Now who got the content? Aerosoft or Microsoft?

NO, but have you signed any NDA recently ? hint, hint ?

Well there is Rise of Flight, which I claim is the best flight simulator on the market at this moment. It might not suit your kind of flying, but in graphics, engine, dynamics etc it cannot beaten.

Can you buy addons for Rise of Flight?

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

By the way what's wrong with X-Plane, why don't you start doing some Addons for that sim?

There is nothing seriously wrong with Xplane.

But it is a very small market we simply are not able to get something looking as good as FS2004 for it. Never mind FSX. See sim customers are very visual creatures, if it looks good they will buy it. I honestly check out Xplane every few weeks but I just do not see anything we can sell. Wish it were otherwise.

• Upvote 1

Well several days later and taking stock of the situation ...

Its like MS did nothing more than a short drum roll to get attention again

But unlike a proper well rehearsed Band who would then launch into a well practised song, and really get the crowd going ... MS peek out from behind the stage to see if they have flopped again or not.

Then look around to see if anyone was listening, saw massive yawns and suchlike ... all over the net, and have now crawled back to their hole to re-think things.

Come back when you have something positive, MS ... no more magic screenies, no more magic trailers please, your creditability is at an all time low.

Its going to take more than that.

• Upvote 2

At this juncture: with the rumor mill at full blast, I admit I would feel a bit more comfortable with a better idea where Aerosoft really stood with its own Flight Sim.

Since the initial announcement, there has really been very little clue as to the final likelihood of the project going forward, and now it seems there is the possibility we might be seeing screen-shots, or recieving information in the coming months from MS on their project while still uncertain as to Aerosofts progress, or even intentions...

It doesn't seem like the best situation, and may cede the momentum completely to MS if nothing concrete is verbalized before people and third-parties begin signing agreements, allocating resources and choosing sides.....

The company behind ROF & Aerosoft working together I think would make a great flight sim just take a look at the screen shots to see ROF knocks microsoft out of the sky. But would anyone trust microsoft afher the way they handled FSX they left the game unfinshed and sacked the team that made it. Also I think this new one is going to be a game rather than a simulator because all microsoft care about is money where as Aerosoft care about making money but they enjoy flight simming and they know their customers do aswell. I will say if you say flight simulator to me 2 companys spring to mind microsoft who built the sim and Aerosoft because of all the add ons they have relased. So I hope the Aerosoft flight simulator gets off the ground as I'll much rather buy that one over a microsoft one because I feel aerosoft would of made it for flight simmers not just for gammers.

At this juncture: with the rumor mill at full blast, I admit I would feel a bit more comfortable with a better idea where Aerosoft really stood with its own Flight Sim.

I'd like to know too, checked the dedicated forum here the other day, but Aerosoft updates on their sim state of play seem to have dried up a while back, even before this rendered vid from MS saying they want to play again!

There will be reasons for this, and I respect the fact that cards need to be played close to chests at this time, also respect the fact Aerosoft asked us what we would like in a new sim, that's the exact opposite of the way MS used to work and the way they seem to be going with Flight ... then it was more or less, just wait and see, if questioned, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

One things for sure, the Customer and possible consumer interest is still here for a new Sim, look at the reads on this thread alone in just over a week ... getting on for 6000, and then the folk reading similar threads on similar boards discussing this topic too.

I'm convinced there is a demand for a new Civilian type aviation sim for future and current hardware, it could pay ... but with MS now back and Aerosoft in as well (maybe, maybe not) and X-Plane 10 too, its looking like fighting over the scraps, and any winner will be fragmented because of that.

Wouldn't it be great if they all got their heads together, shared their knowledge and experiences?

Its out of my hands and I'll just have to wait and see.

I'm just a nobody potential Customer ... LOL.

also respect the fact Aerosoft asked us what we would like in a new sim, that's the exact opposite of the way MS used to work and the way they seem to be going with Flight ...

Maybe they were keeping an eye on the Aerosoft thread ;) Il be a happy chap if their new sim is FSX... done right and with much better scenery. Id be delighted however if that happens and Aerosoft put out their own realistic sim, hopefully both will materialise in time.

One things for sure, the Customer and possible consumer interest is still here for a new Sim, look at the reads on this thread alone in just over a week ... getting on for 6000, and then the folk reading similar threads on similar boards discussing this topic too.

I'm convinced there is a demand for a new Civilian type aviation sim for future and current hardware, it could pay ... but with MS now back and Aerosoft in as well (maybe, maybe not) and X-Plane 10 too, its looking like fighting over the scraps, and any winner will be fragmented because of that.

Wouldn't it be great if they all got their heads together, shared their knowledge and experiences?

While it sounds like a good idea, it can't work. The problem is: The Microsoft developers don't have any real control. Most developers I know are not stupid. If they would have wanted to demonstrate anything it would have been much cheaper and easier, to set up a simple Q and A session. Not with empty eye candy. When you would work for this project you would have been interested to demonstrate your new ideas and what you hope to achieve with the new project. But they didn't answer anything, instead they raised question marks! You can't make a project for everybody. You have a lot of people who wouldn't pay anything for new airports or planes for them X-Plane probably looks pretty interesting, on the other hand you have a lot of people with normal jobs who don't have so much time but the money if you meet their interest. Such a community that obviously is the target group for the Airbus X, and then you have the hardcore pilots that want every small feature as realistic as possible, a rather small, but very loud group. Who do you want to reach?

Instead they avoided everything concrete and reliable!

It makes no real sense for the project unless you want to measure the general interest in this project and due to the very limited response this was probably a failure.

It's simply not true that Microsoft doesn't do market research. A lot of it's done directly in Seattle where it's relatively cosmopolitan to begin with. The fact that you get paid Microsoft dollars and get access to the Microsoft Store is a pretty sweet deal and I'm sure people put in quite the effort because of it. The only problem would probably be getting an unbiased opinion on Boeing vs Airbus.

It's simply not true that Microsoft doesn't do market research. A lot of it's done directly in Seattle where it's relatively cosmopolitan to begin with. The fact that you get paid Microsoft dollars and get access to the Microsoft Store is a pretty sweet deal and I'm sure people put in quite the effort because of it. The only problem would probably be getting an unbiased opinion on Boeing vs Airbus.

If its Boeing I'm not going :)

Why don't we look at this from another angle, the (Aerosoft) angle......... I am a business owner myself, I am a tattoo supplier, I supply Doctors who do breast reconstruction, girls who do permanent make up and tattoo shop (lets compare my supply to addons) so let say my own supplier (MS) announce a new machine on the market "Pain free tattoo machine" (Flight) .....and that's it..... nothing else as far as details.......what do you think will happen......my customers (us) will get on the phone (forums) and will ask me (Mathis) questions like...

"Will I nedd to change my machine?" (FSX)

"Will I be able to use the needles we already have with the new machine?" (addons compatibility)

"Have you seen this new machine, is it really pain free?" (Flight, latest hardware, DX11,++)

Now do you really think I (Mathis) would not know the answer to those questions......seriously.....I have a big company (Aerosoft) selling my tattoo suppliy (addons) all over the world but I don't know if my needles (US Cities X) will be compatible with the new machine (Flight) or I have not talk to my supplier (MS) so I know nothing about this new machine (Flight)...I (Mathis) did not ask any questions to my supplier (MS) about this new machine (Flight)...........PLEASE ....give me a break......I (Mathis) am talking about my bread and butter here.......$$$....

To all of you who think Aerosoft does not know the answer to these questions you all needs to see me about some property I have for sale, about 20mi west of Boca Raton, FL

Now if you want answers to your questions cut the speculation out and ask them directly to Aerosoft, take a step back and see what will happen.....let me ask the first one......

Mathis, will your addons on the market as of now be compatible with Flight?

• Upvote 2

This is just my view but it would make sence for aerosoft to put on hold it's plans to make a sim to see where microsoft are going with this. If this new sim is going to be like FSX where it will allow add-ons then it'll not make alot of sence for aerosoft to spend alot of money making anew sim they would be better off doing what they are doing and making great add-ons. Afher all the market for flight simming is small compeared to other games and is there going to be room for 2 high qualty sims as both offerings are coming from two good companys. It will leave the devs of add-ons with the problem of what sim to make things for. I hope aerosoft will carry on looking at making it's own sim should microsoft drop flight or flight is just going to be a mission based game and not a simulator. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

This is just my view but it would make sence for aerosoft to put on hold it's plans to make a sim to see where microsoft are going with this. If this new sim is going to be like FSX where it will allow add-ons then it'll not make alot of sence for aerosoft to spend alot of money making anew sim they would be better off doing what they are doing and making great add-ons. Afher all the market for flight simming is small compeared to other games and is there going to be room for 2 high qualty sims as both offerings are coming from two good companys. It will leave the devs of add-ons with the problem of what sim to make things for. I hope aerosoft will carry on looking at making it's own sim should microsoft drop flight or flight is just going to be a mission based game and not a simulator. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Lets wait to see what will be the answer to my question first and start from there......that in itself will tell you a lot.

• Upvote 1

Mathijs Kok:

You will put nothing on hold. That the world doesn't have enough room for 2 simulators is ludicrous. What the world doesn't have room for it is two MS Flight Simulators and one of them doesn't even have the word simulator in it anymore.

It will be a serious shame to lose the big momentum that Aerosoft have already built with its new Aerosoft Flight Simulator and not finish it.

Follow the original ideals of subLogic and correct "Illusions" and you can't get it wrong. But remember, you have only one chance to get it right. Piece of cake.

Cheers,

MAB

Mathijs Kok:

You will put nothing on hold. That the world doesn't have enough room for 2 simulators is ludicrous. What the world doesn't have room for it is two MS Flight Simulators and one of them doesn't even have the word simulator in it anymore.

It will be a serious shame to lose the big momentum that Aerosoft have already built with its new Aerosoft Flight Simulator and not finish it.

Follow the original ideals of subLogic and correct "Illusions" and you can't get it wrong. But remember, you have only one chance to get it right. Piece of cake.

Cheers,

MAB

Please note that was just my own view like the rest of us I have no idea what is going on behind closed doors. I agree it would be a shame to lose that momentum that aerosoft have built up as I think we can agree they would build quite a good simulator. But we will have to wait and see what happens and it looks like it is going to be a intresting time for flight simmers.

Here is something I posted on another forums,

================================================================================

let me explain....let say I'm MS and I want to make a lot of money without investing a lot of my own money in Flight....what do I do....I try to reach as many peoples as I can with what I already have....still with me....so I have FSX...we know FSX is used by serious simmers buying addons... and the one who received FSX as a gift at Christmas played with it a little and forgot about it......that's the one I'm after.

Now how do I get the regular moms and pops to spend $$$ on Flight (based on FSX platform).....it's call game for Window live.....with a game everybody can play MS make more $$$ and the other good side of it is MS will make sure all dev. can make addons for it...no more piracy = .....$$$ for the dev. and $$$ for MS.....got it?

Now IMHO do I think MS is comming with a new Flight meaning DX11, SLI +++ I'll say....a big NOPE....wayyyyyy to much work and $$$ involved for MS.....so if I am in MS shoes I'll keep FSX like it is right now (Flight will be based on the same platform DX9) make little improvement here and there on FSX and keep all the dev. and their customers who invested a lot of $$$ happy. So you "wanna" play with Flight....get online and have your CC ready......

================================================================================

Now as we already know Aerosoft went all over the world to get dev. and others on board, as we also know some stated they will stay with and only with MS ...and others willing to invest $$ with Aerosoft.....well.... we don't know....wink.gif so lets say I'm right about what I just said and I'm a dev..... where will I invest my hard earned money.....with MS where I know they will attract customers they don't have and where my addons will be safe from piracy and make more $$$ or with Aerosoft where the market will be limited to old simmers using FSX, now if Aerosoft is comming out with a bew sim. and no other dev. is welling to get on board what do you think will happen....only Aerosoft addons will be usable with their new sim.

As a business man myself I wish the best to all companies doing business today.... so what I am expressing here today is my own opinion and speculations since I don't have any access to what's happening behind close door.

Do I make senses or do you think I'm that far off my rockers......blink.gif

• Upvote 1

"Do I make senses or do you think I'm that far off my rockers......Posted Image"

Of course you are.

The Throne is empty since FSX was the last and final so it is up for grasp. If Aerosoft hits the mother load, all the right stuff, with the new simulator FSX will be dumped faster than a blink of an eye. Add-on's mean nothing when new and better is right in front of you. I once dumped MSFS for twelve years and guess what I can still do it again for a better one.

Full ahead Aerosoft!!!

Cheers,

MAB