Deicing When It's Hot

From time to time when I'm getting ready to pushback. AES will ask me if I want deicing. Like today it was over 80 F at kpdx and it asked me that. Shouldn't it only ask you if it's below 0C or 32 F? In the middle of the summer when it's getting into the 90's or 100's it shouldn't. Just wondering. I just say no.

• Developer

The offer for deicing is generated, when some FS internal parameters (Temp, icing, snow) will be seen within the limits, where deicing make sense. I can't say why your FS had this parameters within the limits (I think the icing flag was set), but when he reports them, I can only trust this parameters.

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering if the continuous De-icing prompts may be a result of the recent update from v2.07 to v2.08. I never used to get this de-icing prompt with v2.07 during this summer, but this past weekend, with numerous Level-D 763 flights out of FSDT's sunny & hot Las Vegas (KLAS), I was prompted for de-icing every time. Perhaps a de-icing prompt issue has cropped-up with 2.08?

I'm not sure about this past weekend at Las Vegas, but last week there were loads of moisture at upper levels in the American southwest.

Upper level moisture and sub-zero temps = icing, even though it's blazing hot at the surface.

Hi guys,

Just a thought. I don't know exactly what parameters AES looks at but thought I would toss this out there as a possibility. I spend a lot of time in forums answering questions, mainly the PMDG forum and there are lots of abnormalities tied into corrupt saved flights. Some particular issues are high TAT, lights not working and a huge one is weather. FSX seems to save weather data and when you reload a flight with new weather it is suppose to exclude the last weather right? Wrong, well yes, it is suppose to, but this is where a lot of people see corruption. For example, lets say I load up FSX, set up a flight with aircraft type, weather (Thunderstorms), location and time, then save it. Now, a day later I load up my weather engine of choice, either AES or REX2, then reload my flight, enter my flight and although I have real world weather being injected from my WX, I will also (and very often) have remnants of the weather from when I saved it. So in this case I could fly from KLAX to EDDF and the whole time the weathers changing I could see lightning and hear thunder. Tat goes crazy, baro changes get stupidly rediculous and basically other aspects of the weather also,,, freak out.

So like I said; Just a thought, but it is likely this is the case here. Maybe not, but thought I'd mention it for food for thought.

Hope this helps,