Okay No A-10 So What Else?

• Aerosoft

You might know we were planning to do a A-10 for FSX. However there now seems to be two other teams working on similar projects. Now with one we had no problems as we feel quality will prevail but with two competitors it becomes hard to invest serious money. Besides not a lot was done so far and we can reuse what was done for other things.

But.... we still want to do a project like this. Here's a list, please discuss amongst yourselves to come up with a suggestion to Aerosoft.

• A-4E-F
  • U-2C/ER-2
  • F-5E/T-38C
  • A-37/T-37
  • F-84F

The T-37 is be my preference. It's zippy enough to be fun, but users on lower end systems shouldn't have to worry about blurries because it's not lightening fast. Are we allowed to suggest aircraft not on your list, Mathijs?

• U-2C/ER-2

I can be wrong but isn't the U2 almost exclusively flown by the autopilot because it handles poorly? (Not a big fan of military aircraft).

• Deputy Sheriffs

Why military aircraft? I remember that FSX is not a kind of egoshooter.

Why not a new type of civilian aircraft? There are lots that could be done, like the new Cessna Corvalis, or a real good Kingair 350. Or an oldtimer like the Do X. Or something like a Falcon 7X?

• Upvote 3

Maybe Aerosoft is looking to expand its portfolio ?, it already has an extensive civil list, a small eclectic mix of military types would open the door to maybe a few more people ?.

Some people just like to fly classic military aircraft and not necessarily shoot things.

Kindest

Michael

I can be wrong but isn't the U2 almost exclusively flown by the autopilot because it handles poorly? (Not a big fan of military aircraft).

The U-2 actually handles very well down where other aircraft operate, its the extreme operating envelope the U-2 flies in that causes the issues.

Kindest

Michael

• A-4E-F
  • U-2C/ER-2
  • F-5E/T-38C
  • A-37/T-37
  • F-84F

In short, none of the above.

Why all the combat aircraft at the moment? Iris is doing an A-10 and Eurofighter, Milviz has just released an A-7 and is also doing an A-10 , A2A has an F-4 in the works, Area 51 has just released a U2-S, Dino Cattaneo his F-35 etc.

I may be missing a point here...but what actually IS the point ? Beyond taking it up for a circuit or two, or maybe a cross-country VFR exercise, what do you actually do with them ? Nothing that defines them can be replicated in FSX, there are no weapons, no targets, flak, or SAMs. Advanced radar is irrelevant, stealth meaningless and in the case of the F-35, how do you know that anything of the FDE is accurate ? Its all classified.

It seems to me that ultimately, all you can really do in these aircraft is watch your latest scenery add-on go by a little more quickly than, say, the Catalina. And I suspect their appeal rapidly fades.

We have a load of virtual airlines round the world, and add-on's such as Air Hauler so why not some vintage cargo/passenger aircraft such as the C-46 or C-119, DC-4 or even as modern as a Lockheed L-118 Electra ? Its a civilian flight sim, after all.

• Upvote 7

I'd say that we would need something like the C5 Galaxy. So no fighter, but a military frighter^^

why military planes at all? In my opinion Paul K is right when he (and others) says that military aviation is not the sense of FSX. Expecially when you don't even include the weapons of the aircraft, as on the F16!

And by the way, if you want to do something military please consider the F4 Phantom.

Regards

Emi

• Upvote 1

From that list I'd go for the A4, however, there's something else that has been used by many countries since being built in 1950 and yet was still in use 4 years ago by the RAF if Afghanistan!

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=english+electric+canberra&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=TPdoTOP5BZa6jAfL5tXUBA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CDcQsAQwAw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Electric_Canberra#Flight_records_set_by_Canberras

An A4 would be interesting, but I must say that a good military freighter would be great as well.

And can we please stop bashing those that enjoy flying military aircraft without blowing stuff up? Just because you don't see the point does not mean someone else doesn't.

F-84! But why not model one of the straight-wing versions?

The straight wing was/is a consideration, they share many common components so the transition from swept to straight isnt as difficult as it looks.

Best

Michael

From that list I'd go for the A4, however, there's something else that has been used by many countries since being built in 1950 and yet was still in use 4 years ago by the RAF if Afghanistan!

http://www.google.co...ved=0CDcQsAQwAw

http://en.wikipedia....et_by_Canberras

Actually :), the B-57B / EB-57 / WB-57F was sixth on the list, along with the F-104 but the line was drawn at five.

Best

Michael

In short, none of the above.

Why all the combat aircraft at the moment? Iris is doing an A-10 and Eurofighter, Milviz has just released an A-7 and is also doing an A-10 , A2A has an F-4 in the works, Area 51 has just released a U2-S, Dino Cattaneo his F-35 etc.

I may be missing a point here...but what actually IS the point ? Beyond taking it up for a circuit or two, or maybe a cross-country VFR exercise, what do you actually do with them ? Nothing that defines them can be replicated in FSX, there are no weapons, no targets, flak, or SAMs. Advanced radar is irrelevant, stealth meaningless and in the case of the F-35, how do you know that anything of the FDE is accurate ? Its all classified.

It seems to me that ultimately, all you can really do in these aircraft is watch your latest scenery add-on go by a little more quickly than, say, the Catalina. And I suspect their appeal rapidly fades.

We have a load of virtual airlines round the world, and add-on's such as Air Hauler so why not some vintage cargo/passenger aircraft such as the C-46 or C-119, DC-4 or even as modern as a Lockheed L-118 Electra ? Its a civilian flight sim, after all.

To repeat, some people actually like to fly classic warbirds, quite a lot of them really :).

I do empathize with your view, it is a civil flight sim and is geared for civil aircraft and if you don't get why people fly military then you probably never will, and I mean that in the politest way possible :), much as many do not understand why people fly tube liners on AP for hours at an end or fly for virtual airlines. Its a big sim and open to anyone what ever their fancy. You are right, I suppose the only thing you can really do is watch the scenery go by, but at least you can do it in style :) [tongue firmly in cheek].

The other aircraft you field are interesting ideas, maybe a future project in there somewhere.

Kindest

Michael

Razbam just announced that they will bring all 4 Skyhawk packages to full FSX standards, from the ground off.

Affirmative, their A-7 package is finished and the A-4 will now follow suite, thus the A-4 is a tenuous choice.

An alternative maybe supplanted later after discussions.

Best

Michael

Razbam just announced that they will bring all 4 Skyhawk packages to full FSX standards, from the ground off.

Affirmative, their A-7 package is finished and the A-4 will now follow suite, thus the A-4 is a tenuous choice.

The latest news item I could find on the Razbam forum is dated 26 Jan 2009 and on the Razbam homepage the last news item is dated 16 Oct 2008. Subsequently please forgive me if I am sceptical about anything they plan to release.

The latest news item I could find on the Razbam forum is dated 26 Jan 2009 and on the Razbam homepage the last news item is dated 16 Oct 2008. Subsequently please forgive me if I am sceptical about anything they plan to release.

It's been posted on Sim Outhouse(SoH) Fsx-forum.

Viper_31 is correct, it has been publicly announced on the SoH forum where most of the team and their customers hang out, their announcement came a few hours after the first post here was published.

Whilst I tend to concur on some of their proposed projects, I think this one will stand.

Kindest

Michael