Problem With Trees On Meigs Field

Kije

I finally got the US Cities X: Chicago installed and up and running ... but there's just one problem --

the Meigs strip is infested with some very nice trees. The runway is clear front and back, but it's

impossible to taxi, park and fuel. And unlike the fuel boxes which let you taxi right on thru them

without any ill effects, trying that with these trees causes an immediate crash. The runway is

useable the whole length but I'd like to make this my midwest home base (I was born and raised

in Chicago) which I can't do with all those trees in the way.

If it helps any, I've attached 4 photos for everyone's viewing pleasure ... I'm sure there's a fix for

this ... short of taking a chain saw to my monitor ...

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Kije

post-32476-128163979774_thumb.jpg

post-32476-128163981732_thumb.jpg

post-32476-128163983638_thumb.jpg

post-32476-12816398607_thumb.jpg

Hello Kije,

I think theres an issue here, but as you can see the landclasses you see are not what should be there hence your trees.

Do you have Ultimate Terrain USA X installed, if so try running the UT USA setup prgram and then close it.

90% of the Chicago scenery's content isn't even visible, including most skyscrapers and the aerial image. Therefore it might be worth a try to uninstall the scenery, redownload the whole package again and install it again. As it is momentarily on your system it never installed completely.

Bests,

Sascha

Hello Kije,

I think theres an issue here, but as you can see the landclasses you see are not what should be there hence your trees.

Do you have Ultimate Terrain USA X installed, if so try running the UT USA setup prgram and then close it.

Hi Shaun ... Thanks for taking the time to help ...

Yes, I do have Ultimate Terrain X:USA installed ... so, I tried to re-install it, but it took more than 3 hours before

I could figure out all the requirements for doing that and get past all the password stuff to do the re-install ... which I finally

succeeded in doing ... I reinstalled UTX:USA and promptly disabled it as you suggested ... and Meigs was definitely different,

but there were still trees all over it and only the runway was clear ... so I re-enabled it with the same result.

So I decided to try and uninstall and re-nstall the Chicago scenery ... and again, Meigs was different but there were still trees

everywhere ... so I'm really stumped ... if you've got any more suggestions, please let me know ...

And thanks once more for the help ... it's greatly appreciated.

Kije

Hello Kije,

You didn't need to un-install it.

Ultimate Terrain comes with a Setup Tool where you change the options etc, all you needed to do was run it and then close it down.

However have you installed any 3rd party ground textures anywhere as it seems you have autogen trees where they shouldn't be.

Try disabling all other 3rd party scenery in the scenery library including UT USA and your Add On folder so US Cities Chicago is the only active senery besides the default, what does it look like then.

Shaun, UTX is NOT the cause of the problem. Kije's problem is that there are Chicago BGL files missing (maybe even textures), see my post further above.

Sascha

Shaun, UTX is NOT the cause of the problem. Kije's problem is that there are Chicago BGL files missing (maybe even textures), see my post further above.

Sascha

I had reported not having most of the buildings in the Chicago scenery missing and was advised these missing buildings were located in a .bgl called "Chicago_3D_Collected_Normal.bgl". I found when I install the scenery that .bgl has a ".OFF" in it instead of .bgl. I renamed it to .bgl but it did not make any difference. The "Scenery Density Tool" has been checked for Max scenery or whatever it is but it does not seem to make any difference. I have reinstalled the scenery three times and have the same thing happen, don't know why.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with trees on Meigs. After some difficulty downloading the package, I also had an error during the installation progress. Apparently this file is different than the one included in the .CAB file: Chicago_AerialHigh.bgl. If you have any idea whether that might affect the problem at Meigs (or other aspects of the Chicago scenery package), please let me know. During installation after a couple of retry attempts I chose "Ignore" and the rest of the package installed.

Thanks, Fred

I need some assistance!! I just purchased the U.S. Chicago file last night and there are only a few buildings showing! Most of them are not there. My computer is top of the line (i7 processor) with all updates. What must I do to get this working like it should?

My computer is top of the line (i7 processor) with all updates.

Some more detail would help. How much RAM on mainboard and GPU + what "updates"?

First of all for everyone here: Please check if the installation went right. Go to the folder

FSX\Aerosoft\USCitiesX-Chicago\Scenery

and compare if all the files from attached screenshot are there.

Bests,

Sascha

post-233-128351681468_thumb.png

I show all those files in my Scenery dir. I am also a user of GEX and UTX (from Flight One), which seems to sit on top of the scenery in some places, particularly near the shoreline.

This was the error message I got during installation.

Fred

post-14410-128351995333_thumb.png

I finally got the US Cities X: Chicago installed and up and running ... but there's just one problem --

the Meigs strip is infested with some very nice trees. The runway is clear front and back, but it's

impossible to taxi, park and fuel. And unlike the fuel boxes which let you taxi right on thru them

without any ill effects, trying that with these trees causes an immediate crash. The runway is

useable the whole length but I'd like to make this my midwest home base (I was born and raised

in Chicago) which I can't do with all those trees in the way.

If it helps any, I've attached 4 photos for everyone's viewing pleasure ... I'm sure there's a fix for

this ... short of taking a chain saw to my monitor ...

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Kije

Here's tje latest in this ongoing saga ...

I still have not been able to get Meigs Field to what it used to be ... and this is after enormous amounts of time spent trying ... ah well ...

As for the buildings in downtown Chicago ... they are all there ... they just take a very long time to download, like about 3-4 minutes until they're there ...

and then, trying to fly with all of them loaded is an impossibility ... and within a few minutes FSX crashes telling me I'm out of memory ... I'm rapidly coming

to the conclusion that unless you have a super screemer machine then things are not going to work the way they should ... ah well ...

Now for the next problem ... I bought MegaScenery scenery for the area around Pellston, Michigan which included Mackinac Island ... and it load up ... but

now Mackinac Island looks like Alcatraz Island in the middle of SF Bay ... only much smaller with the entire surface of the island taken up by one runway ...

ah well ...

Do I have any answers for any of you? ... sorry, but I don't have even one ... and I'm fed up with messing with it ... so I guess I'll do without Meigs Field ... and

I'll revert back to the original default Pellston, Michigan scenery ..And since I don't seem to be getting any help for these the people who developed the

scenery I'm not gonna buy any more their stuff ...

And that's it ... thanks to all who replied to this thread and good luck ... I hope if you find a solution your reply back again ...

Kije

As for the buildings in downtown Chicago ... they are all there ... they just take a very long time to download, like about 3-4 minutes until they're there ...

and then, trying to fly with all of them loaded is an impossibility ... and within a few minutes FSX crashes telling me I'm out of memory ...

Kije, it is obvious that your system has some struggles to keep up with the amount of data processing involved here. As far as I can see you didn't give details on your system specifications yet. Please note that we suggest a minimum of 512MB on your video card (see Chicago product page) and there is an "out of memory" chapter in our manual. Also there even might be some 512MB cards that can't keep up with some sceneries if they are of bad quality (likely hidden by the hardware producer by an SE=Second Edition e.g. in the name). If all depends very much on hardware quality - I've got the scenery running on a new highspeed machine (of course) as well as a 5 year old notebook with one of the first 512MB video cards.

Bests,

Sascha

I show all those files in my Scenery dir. I am also a user of GEX and UTX (from Flight One), which seems to sit on top of the scenery in some places, particularly near the shoreline.

This was the error message I got during installation.

A CRC error indicated that your download is corrupted, Fred. All you can do is to download it again and again until it installs properly. If this happens more than once this unfortunately is a problem with your IP. I had the same problem for about a year until I switched IPs. Unortunately not an option in some regions with one IP (=Internet provider) only.

Bests,

Sascha

• 2 months later...