English Demo Failure/c4 Engine Not Responding

Biffer

Hi Folks,

I liked the look of CBS2010 when I first came across it, but frankly, reading the posts on here and TML's own forum, it appears to be bug-ridden and frustratingly problematic. I can't even get the demo to work, let alone the full game.

For example, it's taken me several attempts to download a version of the demo that would actually unpack properly. Admitedly, these were German-language demos, but the English-language version has proved little better. This one loads OK, and I can even adjust the settings, etc. The problem comes when I try to play the demo itself. I get a screen telling me that the demo is 'loading' - but nothing happens after that. Checking with Windows Task Manager shows me that the C4 Engine is not responding.

Question One: what the heck is a C4 Engine? I never knew I had one (but if I do, it's evidently not working).

Question Two: has anyone else come across this problem, and if so, did you ever find a fix for it?

Question Three: can anyone honestly recommend this sim', or will I just be paying out money to give myself endless hours of headaches and frustration?

Some specs':-

I'm running on XP Pro 32-bit SP3; Intel Celeron D single-core 3.20 GHz CPU; 2.0 GB RAM; nVidia GeForce 7600 GS graphics; Vinyl AC'97 audio card.

Biffer B)

Hello Biffer,

Please see this post here regarding he C4 Engine.

The link here explains about the C4 Engine.

But as you can see many people are running thjs game fine.

Thanks, Shaun!

Having read those links, I updated both my nVidia drivers and DirectX files. I even downloaded a demo version of the C4 engine, hoping that something within it might kick-start the CBS demo - but no. I'm still getting the 'Loading' message, then nothing. You said somewhere that anything less than nVidia GeForce 86XX isn't guaranteed to work ... I've got nVidia 7600, so I guess you're right.

On that basis, I'll give this sim' a miss. I appreciate that others might have got this to work on THEIR systems, but past experience teaches that something with this amount of problems (registration; steering-wheels; graphics, etc.) isn't worth the hassle unless you're able and willing to throw a lot of money and time at it.

Cheers!

Biffer B)

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Shaun!

Having read those links, I updated both my nVidia drivers and DirectX files. I even downloaded a demo version of the C4 engine, hoping that something within it might kick-start the CBS demo - but no. I'm still getting the 'Loading' message, then nothing. You said somewhere that anything less than nVidia GeForce 86XX isn't guaranteed to work ... I've got nVidia 7600, so I guess you're right.

On that basis, I'll give this sim' a miss. I appreciate that others might have got this to work on THEIR systems, but past experience teaches that something with this amount of problems (registration; steering-wheels; graphics, etc.) isn't worth the hassle unless you're able and willing to throw a lot of money and time at it.

Cheers!

Biffer B)

I agree. I have an nVidia 8400 but apparently that isn't good enough. Yet that card seems to run everything else I try on it. Why they would choose to use this C4 Engine with so many incompatibly problems is beyond me. I liked the look of the sim, but, I too am going to pass. Maybe they'll fix it some day and I'll take another look.