Cumulusx! 1.8 And Aircraft Tow

HarryO

Hi there

Just wanted to congratulate you on the tow plane simulation! Beautiful stuff. After realising that I needed to select a tow plane inside CumulusX without FSX loaded first, fired up an FSX session, hit CTRL-SHIFT-Y. The tow plane did a left pattern turn at 500 feet and I wasn't concentrating and snapped the line! Emergency landed back at the strip only to watch the tow plane finish it's circuit then land perfectly back at the strip to wait for a re-launch. Very nice! Next attempt I paid more attention and was towed up beyond 4000 feet. Once I released the tow-line it was beautiful to watch the tow plane bank away and head back to the field. Great stuff.

Of course I still have questions. I take it that I have to watch carefully to see if the outside air is rising in order to know when to release the tow line. I guess I am supposed to watch the TEC variometer to go beyond the constant speed climb indication which would indicate a thermal, then release the line? I guess I am to trust the tow pilot to find a thermal for me! What makes the tow pilot decide that enough is enough if I decide not to release? I want him to keep towing me but at 4500 feet or so, he tries to jiggle loose the tow line himself :)

Great stuff.

Cheers

Harry

Hi Harry,

you might have hit upon a hidden feature, that even I don't know of :) , as I did not implement any desire in the tow pilot to get rid of the glider above a certain altitude.

Well, the tow plane pilot is infinetely patient, by nature. He has an agreement with you on a pay-per-minute base, which means that it is all his profit if you don't release.

The vario is not (yet) very functioning correctly during tow, as lift is inactive in average. But you may watch the tow plane if it climbs ahead it might have entered a thermal lift or a ridge lift. This is only temporary, because when you enter the lift, too, then there is no difference anymore.

Cheers,

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter

I cannot seem to be able to request the Auto tow.

I have installed the Maule in CumulusX! prior to loading FSX.

In FSX I select left hand circuit, then hit Ctrl-Shft-Y but I see no Tow plane in front of me. I have also configured a new key for the tow plane request but that does no work.

EDIT: Toggling Auto-start on and off fixed it!

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

it might be that the EXE.XML was pointing to the old version still.

best regards,

Peter

Peter

I thought I fixed the problem. Here is my EXE.XML file. What do I need to change to get Auto-tow to work.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?> - <SimBase.Document Type=Launch" version="1,0"> <Descr>Launch</Descr> <Filename>EXE.xml</Filename> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad> - <Launch.Addon> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> <Name>sim_logger</Name> <Path>Modules\\sim_logger\\exe\\sim_logger.exe</Path> <CommandLine /> <NewConsole>False</NewConsole> </Launch.Addon> - <Launch.Addon> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> <Name>CumulusX!</Name> <Path>E:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\CumulusX!\CumulusX.exe</Path> <CommandLine /> <NewConsole>True</NewConsole> </Launch.Addon> - <Launch.Addon> <Disabled>False</Disabled> <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad> <Name>WinchX!</Name> <Path>E:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\WinchX!\WinchX.exe</Path> <CommandLine /> <NewConsole>True</NewConsole> </Launch.Addon> </SimBase.Document>

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

still problems?

One I forget: FSX will not offer a tow to aircraft that have any sort of engine, including motorgliders and gliders ith VET-type Winch launch.

regards,

Peter

Ah! That could be it then, that pretty well rules out most of Wolfgang Piper's Gliders unless of course you remove the VET system.

Hello Ivan, just saw the mention of the VET system in Wolfgang's aircraft. I believe most, if not all of his FSX aircraft come without the VET installed, unless it states that it does. You may have an older version installed, or maybe even a FS2004 aircraft installed in FSX by accident. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. It should state in the aircrafts readme whether or not it has VET installed, and I think for sure that if the readme does not contain mention of the VET system, it will not have it. It's worth looking into though, because it could just be an oversight that slipped through. Wolfgang is constantly improving his aircraft, so I know he would like to know if it is a mistake.

Scott