Gibraltar X Released.

Shaun Fletcher

Great work on the barriers and traffic giving way to the aircraft (Reminds me of the wonderful road traffic at LOWI)

But alas the cars will not stop for AI traffic!

Is there not perhaps a little patch that could enable this?

It would add a lot to the scenery

No refunds requested for the traffic...merely a little constructive comment.

Obviously it would add to the atmosphere of what is already a great idea.

If impossible, fine - but all great ideas start with "What if..." ;)

• Developer

No refunds requested for the traffic...merely a little constructive comment.

Obviously it would add to the atmosphere of what is already a great idea.

If impossible, fine - but all great ideas start with "What if..." ;)

Ok, but the Rock problem is also based on the technical system of the FS:

When you have a satelite photo, there are less data (pixel) of the extrem vertical side of the rock.

When you put this photo as "Landclass" on the Groundlayer of the FS World and the mesh now generate the "Rock", this less pixel are streched to the complete side of the rock.

Based on the situation, that the meshdensity can change, there are less chances to go around this problem by placing a polygone there as workaround the visual effect and you need a fitting photo for that too.

I also mentioned these problems when i posted the piccies for the FS9 version. While i agree the airport detail is fantastic, the surrounding images surely could be updated with higher res images, least for FS9. The drop in detail once you leave the airport itself is really noticeable. Considering how small Gibralter is, even if really hi-res images were used, they wouldn't impact framerates in FS9, don't know about FSX. That's the only gripe i have with the scenery. The AI issue regarding the cars crossing the runway has been around for years if i remember right. Was the same in the old scenery for Gibralter

Agree 100%.

I'm an FS9 flyer (although my screen above is FSX) and I've become accustomed to the workarounds which have become common to solve this problem.

Here for example, Switzerland Pro:

Swiss.jpg

As Goulash points out, Gibraltar is so small that one can go for a high resolution without losing performance.

And the Rock really is what you're looking at on approach, it deserves some special attention.

The problem is the near vertical cliff face is causing the distortion in the image, those faces in the above image are no where near vertical and so are not distorted. If you can come out with some way to stretch parts of an image without making it looked distorted then please do tell, as basically that is what FSX and FS9 does when a photo.bgl it fitted over a mesh, it stretches it to fit.

It's hard to show in a screen, but those faces are comparable to Gibralter, which is not in fact vertical:

Gibraltar-6628.jpg

You need to take care with the mesh construction, and equal care with the vertical projection to get a good effect.

Whatever it takes! I'm no FS scenery designer, but even if the Rock is a constructed piece of scenery and not just a landclass/mesh it would be worth doing.

As it is, it looks awful, and possibly explains why no screenshots are shown of that side.

I'm sorry but I disagree in FSX terms that is near vertical and FSX just cannot handle those angles well with photo scenery textures. As for expecting them to model the Rock in a product priced at 18 Euros, you must be joking.

And no I dont think it looks awful at all, I think it looks brilliant. Also have you tried having a play around with your AF sliders in your graphics drivers, it could be over or under processing of the filtering, I really cant tell from that image.

Well I'm not here to chew the fat with you...I thought there was an issue which might be addressed.

But in closing let me say this:

If somebody released a scenery of central Paris, and the Eiffel Tower looked like a hat stand, I'd also have something to say about it.

Better then to leave it alone, and do something more suited to the tools and skills available.

Yes but that is where we disagree, to you it looks bad and to me it looks good, you are also the first person to bring the subject up, so what does that tell you about the general consensus on this subject matter, it would seem it doesn't really bother many that much.

• Developer

Well I'm not here to chew the fat with you...I thought there was an issue which might be addressed.

But in closing let me say this:

If somebody released a scenery of central Paris, and the Eiffel Tower looked like a hat stand, I'd also have something to say about it.

Better then to leave it alone, and do something more suited to the tools and skills available.

Sorry, but you simply don't understand the technical reason and you comparing things, which have nothing to with this situation. Who has no skills is very open here. :mad:

• Developer

I also mentioned these problems when i posted the piccies for the FS9 version. While i agree the airport detail is fantastic, the surrounding images surely could be updated with higher res images, least for FS9. The drop in detail once you leave the airport itself is really noticeable. Considering how small Gibralter is, even if really hi-res images were used, they wouldn't impact framerates in FS9, don't know about FSX. That's the only gripe i have with the scenery. The AI issue regarding the cars crossing the runway has been around for years if i remember right. Was the same in the old scenery for Gibralter

The resolution of the Ground-Photo-texture in FS9 is limited to 4.7 Meter/pixel and that Maximum is used here. At a flatten Airportarea you can overlay this in higher resolutions, but not in a meshed area.

A few screens from FS2004: ACOF to demonstrate what is achievable if you try.

I look forward to an official response from Aerosoft, and a patch for this scenery

GibralterCompare.jpg

I managed to look at the image before it disappeared and those were landclass based textures not Photo Scenery, two completely different techniques. FS handles steep slopes very differently with landclass based textures and the outcome is heavily influenced by the texture packages that the user has installed. I still prefer the photo scenery look to the landclass look.

• Developer

Hi,

as all others here have explained it many times:

photo or landclass textures on nearly 90° rocks are allways limited in resolution.

The screens you posted are showing huge mountains with lower angles.

Just have a look at the screenshots comparing FS2004 Default landclass textures and photo textures using the same

gibraltar mesh.

In my oppinion the photo texture show even little more details than the default ones.

Anyway: It´s a technical limitation that FS stretches all textures like they were projected from above.

(think about a slide projector projecting the terrain immage onto the mountains from above. 90° will never have

a clear image)

Complaints to MS pleaz.

Thorsten

post-7658-128375640691_thumb.jpg

I've thought a bit about this, and the answer may well be to tweak the mesh so the sides are not "vertical" as the sim reads it.

I don' t know what that is, maybe 80 degrees?

The textures will then not smear, and I think 10 deg from vertical will not be too noticeable on the approach to the airport.

Also, a photo with better resolution than the Google Earth one used, will improve things markedly.

The other issue here is the LOD meshes which turn the Rock into a pudding as you move away.

This compounds the bad texture effect by creating vertical faces where none existed close up.

I'm sure most have computers that can handle high detail mesh from a distance, especially if it's as small as this.

hey guys!

Just bought the wonderfull scenery yesterday, stunning destination for the new airbus!smile.gif

Just a small question I did not find an answer to in the manual or here on the forum.

Does LXGB have any kind of approach charts available, or is that not present at this airport? Most of the times it is included in the download or it is mentioned on the product page where they can be downloaded. It's not a very big issue since the runway is pretty straigt forward, but just out of curiosity

Thanks.

[EDIT] I found some good approach charts! search for "LXGB approach charts" in a search engine and it should be on of the first in .pdf format.

I've thought a bit about this, and there's always a fix if you're prepared to tweak the mesh so the sides are not "vertical" as the sim reads it.

Seriously!!, you now want the developer to make the Rock not look like the Rock just because you don't like the textures, I think you should spend more time flying and less time thinking.

This is an open forum where anyone can speak their mind and comment on what is written here. If you don't want people to read what you have written and to comment on it then I suggest you take your enquiries to email directly with Aerosoft.

I usually open my mouth when something goes wrong.. but I have to say that this Gibraltar X scenery is really great! Very nice airport, very nice performance. Good job!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this today and I think it's awesome....I will need the charts so will look for those in a moment.

I agree about the airbus 320....when it's ready I will be using it there as this seems to be the main plane used at the airport.

I just had one of the hairiest 09 approached with 4nm smoggy visibility and I need to configure PFE according to the charts as it nearly vectored me into the hills with zero visibility cloud cover at 3000ft....I ballooned my trusty 737-400 PIC slightly and just stopped it in time...literally with cms to spare....fspassengers didn't complain luckily,...well it did about the reverser's on below 60kts but I'd rather have that over the alternative, I don't like water much.

Anyway, great product!

OK fellas, I need some help here

I have been trying to get the AirbusX off the ground LXGB to EGLL and the A320 is having a hard time reaching V1 in time, with full passengers and 72% fuel ( via fspassengers ) I need flaps 3 & trim set to 1.5 up to just barely rotate at the runway threshold -I just make it in the air.......I have had the a320 in the hanger for a while so I'm winging it a bit, I'd admit,..........what are your take off configurations?

This keeps bothering me...so I've come back to hear if I'm the only one seeing what I posted in post#21 above.

I keep reading about how great this scenery is, so SOMEONE must be able to post a shot from that side of the rock to show what it looks like in their "Great" scenery!

Why do I keep on about this?

Well, I installed some (Freeware!) scenery for Phuket which has a similar issue: a large rock adjacent to the runway, which you'd expect to have those dreadful smeared textures.

Surprise, this is how they handled it:

Phuket.jpg

Now you will agree, this looks a little better than the Rock in post#21, yes?

But I am hoping it is just something I may have done wrong with Gibraltar.

Given the level of personal attack I experienced here, you'd expect I am a complete idiot...

So, please post a shot showing the Rock from that side, looking "Great".

Many thanks.

• Developer
So, please post a shot showing the Rock from that side, looking "Great".

Many thanks.

... specially the shadows on ground looks greate, they forget to remove, when they place there "Modelrock". :lol: