Annoying Problems With The A300

adrianzowe

Hi all,

I bought two weeks ago the boxed Simcheck A300, and at first, all was working properly. A day, I decided to make another flight with the 'bus, and all was fine until I had to make the arrival to the airport, which I had to make manually because the autopilot was unable to follow the INS route. The FD seems to want to follow the route, but the airplane doesn't turn. I decided to uninstall the airplane, and make a fresh install. My surprise was that the airplane was worst than first time. The autopilot can't follow the route, the autothrottle doesn't work properly (I can't make a "N1" take off, because I set the thrust at 40% and then I push the N1 button, and the thrust doesn't increase, he just stays at 40%, and when I try to set the thrust at 100% with the Saitek's throttle with N1 activated, the thrust doesn't rise). I have to say that when the autopilot is engaged, and he doesn't follow the route with the NAV activated, I can't turn the airplane with the joystick, but I can turn it with the keypad, something strange.

Any idea?

Regards,

Adrian.

I bought two weeks ago the boxed Simcheck A300, and at first, all was working properly. A day, I decided to make another flight with the 'bus, and all was fine until I had to make the arrival to the airport, which I had to make manually because the autopilot was unable to follow the INS route. The FD seems to want to follow the route, but the airplane doesn't turn. I decided to uninstall the airplane, and make a fresh install. My surprise was that the airplane was worst than first time. The autopilot can't follow the route, the autothrottle doesn't work properly (I can't make a "N1" take off, because I set the thrust at 40% and then I push the N1 button, and the thrust doesn't increase, he just stays at 40%, and when I try to set the thrust at 100% with the Saitek's throttle with N1 activated, the thrust doesn't rise). I have to say that when the autopilot is engaged, and he doesn't follow the route with the NAV activated, I can't turn the airplane with the joystick, but I can turn it with the keypad, something strange.

Hi Adrian,

For the A/T N1 mode (SRS during take-off run) to work you have to set throttle to approximately 70% and then press the TOGA button. If you move the throttle below half the max the A/T will disconnect again. This is the only way (at least that I know) for the panel to allow a rejected take-off. So this is by intend.

Regarding the A/P not following the INS, that is something I have not seen... you do have FSUIPC installed right (unregistered or registered, doesn't matter)?

Does you HDG mode work properly, or do none of the lateral modes work for you ?

Björn

Hi Bjorn,

Yes I do, I have the latest FSUIPC (4.60) registered, and I didn't touch anything about axis, controls, or something like that in the FSUIPC settings.

Concerning to the HDG.... the same as the NAV.... if I set (for example) HDG 140, the autopilot won't follow that heading. It's like the airplane couldn't follow the lateral navigation.

Regards,

Adrian.

Concerning to the HDG.... the same as the NAV.... if I set (for example) HDG 140, the autopilot won't follow that heading. It's like the airplane couldn't follow the lateral navigation.

Hi Adrian,

Do I understand correctly that the A/P lateral modes NEVER work ? Or does this issue occur after some time in flight, or after switching between windowed mode and fullScreen mode?

Here's a reply I got some months ago from another user that had the same issue (on the simchecksoftware.com forum):

"Today at work I had some free time and I had some ideas. Arriving at home I uninstalled FSUIPC and deleted all the files related to it. After reinstall everything I made (or we made) some great progress!"

There is one big issue that FSUIPC has and possibly this is also what you are experiencing. When you have a system that is stressed to it's limit, FSUIPC can time out the connection to simconnect. When this occurs FSUIPC will reconnect to SimConnect but this can result in issues with the A/P.

I know this sounds pretty cryptic, but it's the reason why we are removing all FSUIPC references in the SP2 update that will be released in the (not so distant) future.

To see if you get an FSUIPC time-out you can open the FSUIPC.log file in the "modules" folder of FSX (open in Notepad) and see if you find the line:

**** No SimConnect events or states being received! Re-connecting now ... ****

To avoid this issue from happening you can make a small change to the fsuipc.ini file, here's excerpt from the FSUIPC user manual:

SimConnectStallTime can be used on poorer performing systems, very heavily loaded, to attempt to stop FSUIPC4 re-initialising the SimConnect interface to FSX when it finds itself starved of information which should be arriving all the time. This time defaults to one second (1), which should always be adequate for systems which can maintain an FSX frame rate of 2 fps or more, never dropping to 1 or less. This does not include times when FSX is engaged reloading scenery or inside Menus and the like, which are not checked.

You have to add this "SimConnectStallTime" parameter to the FSUIPC.ini file and change the setting to 2, 3, 4 or even 5 seconds. This should stop FSUIPC from disconnecting and reconnecting to SimConnect and should hopefully solve the issue.

Björn

Hi Bjorn,

The lateral mode NEVER works. At first flights, it was working fine, but in one flight, when I was arriving, it just stopped working, and since that flight, the lateral mode has not returned to work.

I also tried what you have said in your last post yesterday before write this post today. It doesn't work. I don't know what's happening... I can turn the airplane via the number keypad, also when the A/P is engaged, but i can't do this with the joystick (with A/P engaged)... I can't understand that...

Concerning to the N1 mode... I have tried to set the thrust at 70% (and more) before engage N1 mode. It still doesn't work. And also, when airborne, setting the SPD mode, it doesn't maintain the speed. It just maintain the last N1 adjust and he continues accelerating until 400KIAS. I have to manage the speed manually with the Saitek's throttle.

Regards,

Adrian.

The lateral mode NEVER works. At first flights, it was working fine, but in one flight, when I was arriving, it just stopped working, and since that flight, the lateral mode has not returned to work.

I also tried what you have said in your last post yesterday before write this post today. It doesn't work. I don't know what's happening... I can turn the airplane via the number keypad, also when the A/P is engaged, but i can't do this with the joystick (with A/P engaged)... I can't understand that...

Concerning to the N1 mode... I have tried to set the thrust at 70% (and more) before engage N1 mode. It still doesn't work. And also, when airborne, setting the SPD mode, it doesn't maintain the speed. It just maintain the last N1 adjust and he continues accelerating until 400KIAS. I have to manage the speed manually with the Saitek's throttle.

Hmm, now I really hvae no idea what may be happening. You don't have any entries in the FSUIPC log about SimConnect disconnects right?

There is no reason that I know of why the A/P would stop working altogether, same for the A/T. We only ever saw the problems when there was an FSUIPC disconnect. The big question is why it worked before and it doesn't work now! Something must have changed between the "before" and "after" moments, but what ? Can yous end me screenshot of your panel when the A/T and and A/P don't work so I can see your settings ?

Björn

Hmm, now I really hvae no idea what may be happening. You don't have any entries in the FSUIPC log about SimConnect disconnects right?

There is no reason that I know of why the A/P would stop working altogether, same for the A/T. We only ever saw the problems when there was an FSUIPC disconnect. The big question is why it worked before and it doesn't work now! Something must have changed between the "before" and "after" moments, but what ? Can yous end me screenshot of your panel when the A/T and and A/P don't work so I can see your settings ?

Björn

This is what I have on FSUIPC4.log about SimConnect:

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.60a by Pete Dowson *********

Reading options from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini"

Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

User Name="adrianzowe"

User Addr="adrian"

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

WideFS7 Key is provided

Running inside FSX on Windows 7 (using SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07)

Module base=61000000

Wind smoothing fix is fully installed

DebugStatus=255

31 System time = 28/07/2010 17:39:32

31 FLT UNC path = "\\ADRIAN-PC\Adrian\Documents\Archivos de Flight Simulator X\"

31 FS UNC path = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"

468 LogOptions=00000000 00000001

468 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

1420 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)

1420 Initialising SimConnect data requests now

1420 FSUIPC Menu entry added

I will upload you a video at Youtube. Give me a few seconds ;)

Regards,

Adrian

There is the problem

Hi Adrian,

OK I see what you mean, please check my remarks about the FSUIPC.log file and the change in the FSUIPC.ini file.

The FSUIPC.ini file is also located in the "Modules" folder.

Open it with Notepad and in the first section:

"[General]"

Add this line:

"SimConnectStallTime=3"

and see if that changes things for you.

I write to FSUIPC offsets for the autothrottle and to set the flight surfaces for the lateral navigation. When anything is wrong with FSUIPC or the communication with FSUIPC the system will stop working. As the FD bars are moving correctly it looks like the A/P code is calculating the settings correctly but these are not communicated to FSUIPC or FSUIPC (which is talking to SimConnect) has lost the connection to SimConnect and is not sending any commands to FS.

Björn

Hi Adrian,

OK I see what you mean, please check my remarks about the FSUIPC.log file and the change in the FSUIPC.ini file.

The FSUIPC.ini file is also located in the "Modules" folder.

Open it with Notepad and in the first section:

"[General]"

Add this line:

"SimConnectStallTime=3"

and see if that changes things for you.

I write to FSUIPC offsets for the autothrottle and to set the flight surfaces for the lateral navigation. When anything is wrong with FSUIPC or the communication with FSUIPC the system will stop working. As the FD bars are moving correctly it looks like the A/P code is calculating the settings correctly but these are not communicated to FSUIPC or FSUIPC (which is talking to SimConnect) has lost the connection to SimConnect and is not sending any commands to FS.

Björn

Ok, I will try it, and I will tell you in a few minutes if it works

Thank you so much!

Regards,

Adrian

Well, I have made all you said. I checked the FSUIPC.log, and all you said is done. I opened the FSUIPC.ini and the SimConnectStallTime was on 2. I wrote 3 and i saved.

I launched FSX... and it still doesn't working properly.... I don't know what more can I do... definetly my Sim Check is very crazy...:blush:

I also have to say that, the pitch sometimes goes crazy. For example, if i set on the vertical speed 3000 fpm when taking off, after 10 seconds in the air, it goes to 7000 fpm, and i have to disengaged the A/P

Regards,

Adrian.