Swallows 2010...

petermcleland

SwallowsCover.jpg

I took these pictures from the bedroom window from 1st June 2010 till today 19th July 2010...I expect my little friends will leave tomorrow or the next day

http://www.petermcleland.com/Swallows2010

You will need to click the central "Play" icon at the bottom or the Foreward or Back icons either side of it...You may also want to key F11 to go into Full Screen Mode :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I've been making a little booklet out of this slide show and made a special one for the cover...I've added it above to introduce the slide show.

BTW...Two are now flying around with three left to go...Perhaps later today.

Thanks Chaders :D

I've put the Swallows on Flickr with captions:-

It should play in full screen mode but if not, move your pointer near the bottom right corner and a row of thumbnails will appear with an Icon for Full Screen Mode at the extreme right...Click it then move your pointer away to let the thumbnails vanish :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Nice pics Peter. We get house martins (I think that's what they're called) and each year they fly in from your neck of the woods and nest in my garage. They usually have 2-3 babies and they hang around for a while once the babies can fly then head off again until the following year. rolleyes.gif

Cheers Pierre

Nice pics Peter. We get house martins (I think that's what they're called) and each year they fly in from your neck of the woods and nest in my garage. They usually have 2-3 babies and they hang around for a while once the babies can fly then head off again until the following year. rolleyes.gif

Hi Pierre,

These swallows migrate from here to South Africa...The adults all leave in big bunches and fly really fast with very few stops till they get there. The youngsters stay behind here for a while and then set off in small groups...they fly shorter stages but get down there in the end. Next year the adults return and if their old nest is still there they just refurbish it for a new brood. I don't know what the youngsters do but I believe they don't breed till about three years old.

We have house martins here too and they migrate at the same time as the swallows but they don't go as far down Africa as the swallows and stop about Lake Victoria, Uganda region.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. You're obviously right into birds of the feathered variety. laugh.gif A friend of mine identified the birds in my garage as house martins. He is Scottish by the way and said that he had seen them in his own country. These also refurbish their nests each year. I don't know exactly where they fly to once they leave the nest and can only go by what my friend told me. Mind you, that would be a hell of a long way for them to fly ! ohmy.gif There's only one thing about them that annoys me, they decided to nest on top of a fluro light which is situated right above my car and what can I tell ya, my car looks awefully shitty at times ! biggrin.gif We do love them so put up with that. I might try to get a pic of them but I have a very old camera so the quality may not be the best.

Cheers for now,

Pierre