Fly In Ideas

Chaders

Hi All,

In preparation for an Andras Field server I've got an idea for a 'Moving in' Flyin. We could be given a slot time to arrive (closely spaced) and aim to land (or arrive in the overhead) as close to that spot as possible. This would work best if we all started at the field of our choice (20-60 minutes away) then we'd have arrivals from all around.

If possible we could also have a spot landing competition. We could use either the threshold or numbers as our target and someone parked nearby could judge who got closest? One last idea for an activity would be a limbo competition, a couple of poles with a ribbon strung between could be added to the scenery just for the flyin date??

I'll add any other ideas on here as I think of them.

Great idea on the fly-in Richard, lets try and make that the second event. The reason I say that is for the first event I really would like everyone to arrive as they are able during the hours of the event, to welcome everyone to the field, with no time pressure on them. The first event is purely social. Beyond that I agree, lets have lots of competitions!! Although it has to be said, the last time I did the limbo I couldn't walk for a week ;)

I am also in discussion with the Airfield Manager for us to have a weekly evening meeting where everyone can get together at the field. The current aim is for this to be Thursday evenings, unless anyone has a dramatic disagreement with that.

all the best

JaneRachel

Hello Jane.

Lots of competitions sounds like a plan.

Aerosoft could sponsor download prizes as could some of the companies who have advertising at the field if they should wish to donate.

Hi Shaun,

I was just about to email you on that very subject :) In fact, some Aerosoft partner developers/publishers have already offered prizes when I discussed with them today.

Great minds think alike and all that!

Jane

Hello Jane.

Lots of competitions sounds like a plan.

Aerosoft could sponsor download prizes as could some of the companies who have advertising at the field if they should wish to donate.

just a little idea of what the prices could be: what about the AES credits?

that sounds good to me, and you could give more/less looking on how good the landing really was...

New idea.... it's a runway that's not huge. How about inviting some real big boys? 747, A380...

Make the weather hot and the wind cross.

Headwind 160 knots you can land a jumbo at Andras in a foot, Chaders knows what I mean ;)

Headwind 160 knots you can land a jumbo at Andras in a foot, Chaders knows what I mean ;)

Indeed mate, I remember a certain VTOL Vulcan in the past ;)

Indeed mate, I remember a certain VTOL Vulcan in the past ;)

you two have now got me wanting to mess around with flying the MD11 and 747 into the field! There was I, planning a quiet night in front of the tv and look what you have done to me :))

you two have now got me wanting to mess around with flying the MD11 and 747 into the field! There was I, planning a quiet night in front of the tv and look what you have done to me :))

So Jane - any success on landing those babies in AF? :wacko: Pictures please!!! ;)

So Jane - any success on landing those babies in AF? :wacko: Pictures please!!! ;)

yep landed both safely. I will do it again and grab some pics. Even with the elevation, there is stopping room for a lightly loaded heavy :)

all the best

JaneRachel

yep landed both safely. I will do it again and grab some pics. Even with the elevation, there is stopping room for a lightly loaded heavy :)

all the best

JaneRachel

Boy cant wait to see those! :mellow::o

• Aerosoft

Want another idea? We used to do this at shows while testing hardware a lot. Put an airliner on the runway, engines running. Climb to 10.000 feet. Land and stop. The one who does that fastest wins.

We seen a lot of what we used to call 'screaming jezus" approaches with that. Also takes some thinking as you need to avoid any horizontal movement you don't need. Some pilots spiraled and others tried to keep a straight line in and out. Mathematically a single circle is the fastest but we have never seen anybody being able to work out what the radius should be. To small and you end up to high, to wide and you will need to stay level for a while to make it to the runway.

(Ok cheated a lil bit - turned the wind to 100 knots @ 261° )

Alexander,

Are you sure it can't be done without this wind?

I do it with a 737 daily and though never tried with the 747 but I have the silly idea that it might be possible...

Andras

Well sure it can be done - with standard 747-400 with default weight and 100% fuel. Headwind 15 knots.

I know I was waay to low, but the question was. Can you land a 747 in AF - and the answer is clearly YES. I bumped directly down on the numbers and I had plenty of runway left when stopped.

Already too low here, but what the heck!!! :wacko:

screenshot23.JPG

Finding the runway visually. Looking good

screenshot24.JPG

Runway dead ahead. Watch it people below. Im coming in a little low thereeeeeeeeeeeee

screenshot25.JPG

Gonna make it, gonna make it, gonna make it...:blink:

screenshot26.JPG

Touchdown - on the numbers!:D

screenshot29.JPG

Ladies and Gentlemen - Welcome to Andras Field. To the left we have the lake. Please remain seated until the plane has come to a complete standstill.

screenshot32.JPG

Plane stopped - plenty of runway left.

screenshot33.JPG

So all we need to do, is to taxi in. Turn off the seatbelt sign will you?

screenshot35.JPG

Voila - 747 at Andras Field.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Well done! :clapping_s:

reminds me a little bit of Flying to St. Maartens Princess Juliana Airport, coming in very low.

Well, for those having plots there with cars and aircraft parked outside, they should be informed next time to tighten them to the ground or they will be blown away, especialliy at take off!

Well to be honest, I thought it might be fun to try ~ 90 Knots Headwind - and it really was - when you are on the Glideslope with Vapp of ~150 Knots and you have a Groundspeed of ~60 Knots the Approach lasts forever :lol: :lol:

Heck no get that 747 off the AF without dismantling and trucking it out. (you would be surprised how often that has happened. Aircraft need a lot less space to land then to depart.)

Well - Ill ditch the passengers and cargo, unload most of the fuel, and then I´ll see if I cannot get it off AF without destroying it all. :P

Ill announce the departure, so people can get the heck away from my path. :o

Tomorrow I´ll try the Airbus A380!!! :blink: Anyone want to beat me to it? fully fuelled and no more than 15 knots of headwind!