Online flying, ATC at Andras Field

ManuelL

...and I can hear people, feeling just like me, being quite relieved that we use VAE, as it is a small provider, and havent got so many rules and regulations as Vatsim and Ivao. We try to keep things as simple as possible.

/signed smile.gif

I want to use VAE, I became member of VAE, I downloaded the client software but then I ran into things like opening ports on my firewall and the need to inactivate - that would be uninstall - other clients like FSInn.

That is just not possible for me. I am on a home network where I also have work related computers. I need to know what services are going to run at what port and if they can be limited in any way. I can not open up ports in my firewall for all traffic.

Also: I am a VATSIM pilot and for online flying I need a client, I don't know if the VAE client can be used for VATSIM.

I have not been able to find answers to these questions and so I can not participate in the fly ins, and I do regret that.

On the other hand, I am having a blast flying for AME :)

I have FSInn Installed along with SquawkWin. When you start FSX (if thats what you use) click on "Yes" for SquawkWin. After FSX loads you will see FSInn trafic lights bottom right of your screen, right click and select "Close". This deactivates FSInn and you can now go online with SquawkWin.

I learned from VAE, quick reply in the forums, that I don't need to open the ports. So I went ahead and installed squawkwin.

Unfortunately framerates dropped to single figure numbers after I did, in the default ultralite...

I don't understand how a p2p protocol would have impact on graphics, but that is my observation.

I don't have the time to really look into the problem, at least in the coming weeks, but I checked performance without squawkwin and it was back to normal.

No fly ins for me.

.... We try to keep things as simple as possible. ....

I read here constantly such things as "... we try to keep things as simple as possible ..." .

Flying is not "SIMPLE". But not complicated. Not by VATSIM, not by IVAO and not by VAE i think.

"Make things simple". What does that mean? No Rules? No ATC? A little rules? A little atc?

But with rules and with atc it's the same as by VATSIM or others.

SIMPLE makes for long no fun, i think.

Please tell me, what you mean with "simple".

I am a member of VATSIM. Using FsInn. Its NOT complicated.

My experience is that the more clients, the more the PC is unstable. And the Online Flying will be complicated.

Apart from the many open ports.

I am also a VATSIM pilot but I can understand the desire to just do a fly in with the aviation club GA aircraft without bothering with realistic ATC procedures.

Think of it as a social meeting, not focused on ATC and procedures.

VATSIM is not very forgiving for the uninitiated and not everybody wants to spend time learning correct procedures.

For anybody that equals fun with procedures there are a lot of alternative VA's available, I nerver thought the Andras Field community would fulfill that role.

My problem is just that squawkwin does not work all that well for me.

I am also a VATSIM pilot but I can understand the desire to just do a fly in with the aviation club GA aircraft without bothering with realistic ATC procedures.

VATSIM is not very forgiving for the uninitiated and not everybody wants to spend time learning correct procedures.

For anybody that equals fun with procedures there are a lot of alternative VA's available, I nerver thought the Andras Field community would fulfill that role.

I understand what you mean. And thats ok.

But what i mean is, that there was wrote about the complicated VATSIM. And thats not ok. VATSIM isn't complicated.

And all the Controller help you if you are a newbie.

I am a member of the FriesenFlieger VA. They fly on VATSIM. So i know what i say.

But here somebody wrote about VATSIM and is never fly online before flying with VAE in Andras Field.

Thats not OK. I think.

I read here constantly such things as "... we try to keep things as simple as possible ..." .

Flying is not "SIMPLE". But not complicated. Not by VATSIM, not by IVAO and not by VAE i think.

"Make things simple". What does that mean? No Rules? No ATC? A little rules? A little atc?

But with rules and with atc it's the same as by VATSIM or others.

SIMPLE makes for long no fun, i think.

Please tell me, what you mean with "simple".

I am a member of VATSIM. Using FsInn. Its NOT complicated.

My experience is that the more clients, the more the PC is unstable. And the Online Flying will be complicated.

Apart from the many open ports.

Heinzf. Nothing is complicated if you are used to it, but IVAO and VATSIM is complicated compared to the easygoingness of VAE, but really I wont allow another discussion about which online provider we have. We chose VAE long ago, and I have already asked this discussion to end, as new people should feel comfortable with the way things ARE, and not how some would like it to be.

Im not saying that VATSIM or IVAO are bad, not at all, but all things aside the general user (and that means people who have tried both) thinks that VAE is more simple.

My point exactly.

And Kasper Im sorry for your trouble with Squakwin.. Try to concate Craig, he helped me to begin with, and I DID need to open ports.

I understand what you mean. And thats ok.

But what i mean is, that there was wrote about the complicated VATSIM. And thats not ok. VATSIM isn't complicated.

And all the Controller help you if you are a newbie.

I am a member of the FriesenFlieger VA. They fly on VATSIM. So i know what i say.

But here somebody wrote about VATSIM and is never fly online before flying with VAE in Andras Field.

Thats not OK. I think.

End of story. Im closing this thread.

EDIT. I seem to have upset people by locking the thread. My intentions were the opposite, therefore I have reopened it. Please show consideration when posting, so my intitial point - to not confuse people by stating things that has already been decided opun once and for all. Thats all I ask.

@Ole, I tried again with the new client and was unable to connect. Probably I do need to open the three ports, but that is just not possible for me to do.

I need a secure environment to work in and I can not allow a client for a game to jeapordize the security of all machines in my network. It is this excact same reason that stopped me using gamespy.

So I will just enjoy the community off line and be active in the forums.

Ps.: I think the drop in framerates was due to both ASX and squawkwin trying to control the weather. Disabling one or the other seemed to cure the problem - although I did not do proper testing due to the connection problem.

So: last post concerning this issue from me. In my unique situation Squawkwin is not working, in other situations it is probably doing a fine job.

That's life.

@Ole, I tried again with the new client and was unable to connect. Probably I do need to open the three ports, but that is just not possible for me to do.

I need a secure environment to work in and I can not allow a client for a game to jeapordize the security of all machines in my network. It is this excact same reason that stopped me using gamespy.

So I will just enjoy the community off line and be active in the forums.

Ps.: I think the drop in framerates was due to both ASX and squawkwin trying to control the weather. Disabling one or the other seemed to cure the problem - although I did not do proper testing due to the connection problem.

So: last post concerning this issue from me. In my unique situation Squawkwin is not working, in other situations it is probably doing a fine job.

That's life.

Ok sorry been away guys right heres my 2 pence worth lol,

Kasper please come and find me on teamspeak i will try and do my up most to help you in ts i am just username Craig with an sa after it i cant be there 24/7 but i will try as hard as i can to be around to help .

With reading the forum about the online server debates i would like to put the view in like this and see if you agree.

As we have said people fly Vatsim Ivao etc people will always fly them and thats no bad thing but why should the big players in online servers have everything going thats not fair in my opinion.

The reason as already be said is because VAE is simple its a community which dont just host Andras Field there are virtual airlines there and flyins planned for the future they really make you feel at home and nothing is to hard work to help people .VAE is that approachable that its like asking your partner to dinner it really is.

The other reason that i can see is we do have a growing community of simmers who have either been badly treated online experienced the rough end of gamespy or simply are a bit scared as i think most of us where about the whole online flying thing. Well we are in the process of making the events forum into a joint events and online forum any issues can be posted in there and i will deal with them as i have before but also i will be posting like a dummies guide to online flying there which there is 1 out there already i did bet you didnt see it !! This is to help people come and try online flying again in a safe no hassle environment to help the community grow and thats what we believe VAE provides a safe no lots of procedures fun place to realise the true magic we all know as online flying. When i get the go ahead in the forum we will get it running ok

best wishes

Craig

As a "heavy" VATSIM pilot and a former staff member that was in charge of looking after others keeping these strict rules and regulations, may I suggest my approach to enjoy Andras Field and VAE as a great vacation environment to have some easy fun... It's a great place to explore simulation without being carefully watched at all times and as mentioned before, in case of extreme longing, enabling FSInn back to life is no big deal :rolleyes: just sit back, relax and enjoy the flight B)

Craig and Moshe – I am in complete agreement with both of you and support VAE as the official Andras online environment. I will still fly my MD-11 on Vatsim, but the German FIR’s are pretty active and I look forward to a much more relaxed environment on VAE for flying around Andras.

Talking about longing, may I invite you all to remember how a full ATC sounds like, and enable your FSInn/SB just for few days to celebrate a special event with us (there is enough time to warm engines):

10th Control Room

Please take it as a personal invitation, to use only when you don't fly in Andras Field of course B)

• 1 year later...

Ok bit of a thread dig here.

In one thread I read, No jets between (insert time here), No a/c over blah blah weight etc.

Then in here I read about how it is all supposed to be relaxed etc.

I have flown online on VAE twice before I got sick of the client killing the performance of my machine (this was a day or 2 after Andra's went live on VAE)

So what is it? Simple and uncomplicated where anyone flying anything is welcome.

or is it full of rules about what you can fly and what times you can fly it?

Zebra.

Hi there, and thank you for digging around in the forum. Always good to feel around through the different aspects of the community..

The answer to your question is: Its both!

Its very relaxed here. but we DO have certain rules.

Thing is: You gotta think of Andras Field, as a game inside your sim. Andras Field is a small community, where some (quite a few actually) people have chosen to spend money (real money) on a little place where we can live and relax.

So what you need to do is to consider this a game - and play the game. Now if you had a small house (or a big one) just beside an airfield, you probably would like to be certain that you can sleep at night, and not have sonic booms overhead at 3 AM. Or big Airbus A-380´s screaming to get airborne at 6 AM on a sunday, when you try to recover from a hangover - ehem... sorry, I mean from yesterdays hard work in the garden...

So YES we have certain rules regarding what and when you can use Andras Field´s runways. This is only fair I think, and anyway, its a rule taken by the board.

BUT - if you have a good reason (or even a not so good one...) to want to exceed those limitations, then what you do is to file a request (make a post about it) about wanting to use the runway with aircraft outside of the limitations, and the board will look at it - and we are very understanding in that department. Just post it the day before, so we can alert the citizens of Andras Field airpark, so they can tie down loose plates, and take the dogs inside, to prevent them from being scared...

I hope this explains the life and procedures in Andras Field. Please don´t be mad at us, for wanting to sleep a little long during the weekends... :)