Online flying, ATC at Andras Field

ManuelL

Hello,

okay, time for outing myself as one of the few people, who have never used FSX online :rolleyes:

I have been flying online in the Condor soaring sim quite a lot but never in FSX.

My background is that I have been flying gliders in real life a long time ago, and with the glider I have not been flying in controlled airspace. In the sim I am also mostly interested in small GA aircraft and VFR flying.

So my questions are:

How will the online flying generally look like? (I could see there is already a discussion about time zones). Will there be one virtual space that is "managed" by one or several IVAO controllers? I could imagine that on weekends there might be quite some traffic density with a wide range of differnt aircraft - and a wide range of pilot skills (from professional pilots to people who may not be able to hit the runway).

As I understand (haven't read so much yet) IVAO is mostly for controlled airspace. How is the traffic handled for VFR flights going from the airport into uncontrolled airspace or comming from uncontrolled airspace into the airport.

How will the glider traffic be handled (should probably post this question in the glider forum)? Will it be in the same virtual space as the other traffic or separate. I am not sure, does cumulusx provide identical thermal distribution for online flying or will this be mainly based on missions with hand placed lift to provide consistent conditions for the people?

I don't expect detailed answers - I am just trying to get an impression of online flying at Andras Field.

Thanks a lot?

Kind regards

Manuel

• Aerosoft

Let's start with what we need.

- we need to see each other on the field.

- we need one tower frequency. Now this will not be manned all the time but I am sure we can arrange a few hours per week, the other time we can just self announce

- we need one frequency where people can let others know they are about to enter the Airpark taxi routes

- we need one frequency for the glider when they operate.

I am talking this evening to somebody who knows a lot about these online flying things and who will tell us what the best options are. If there are others here that got ideas, please share them. We did NOT organize this because it is one of these things that we feel the community might like to handle. The whole aspect of getting things started and managing it is very much part of the whole idea.

I'll ask Joachim to answer the glider stuff. You will love to fly the Discus from this field though!

Hey Manuel,

Gliders on controlled fields are common in Germany. Look at Münster Osnabrück for example. Of course they have their own airspace to fly in. Not even in the ILS of the big strip :D

Gliders have their own frequency, because they chat a bit more nonsense than the heavy metal guys do. lol

CumulusX can handle online flights perfectly. I suggest to ask Peter Lürkens directly in the Soarforum. I think, there are also some threads about it.

Have some nice flights :-)

Joachim

Along this Topic sometimes the word "IVAO" was mentioned.

Well, why could that great project not sign up at Vatsim or IVAO?

To my mind, many Pilots (from all over Europe) would be happy about such a new location to fly to.

I think that it will not be that much work for them to organize a new airport frequency etc. Because, the only thing what Andras Field actually needs is a Tower_freq...

Regards

• Aerosoft

Along this Topic sometimes the word "IVAO" was mentioned.

Well, why could that great project not sign up at Vatsim or IVAO?

To my mind, many Pilots (from all over Europe) would be happy about such a new location to fly to.

I think that it will not be that much work for them to organize a new airport frequency etc. Because, the only thing what Andras Field actually needs is a Tower_freq...

Regards

I am working on that right now.

Hello,

i think online flying with Andras Flield ist a very good thing. I am flying a long time in the VATSIM Airspace and there are many little Airfields with an Info Tower Controller online. That works very good for VFR Pilots.

When Andras Field has an info-tower-frequency than the pilots must speak and listen on that frequency, and so the taxiing, landing, starting can regulated by the pilots themselfs. And when the info tower is manned, then the tower regulates the traffic. That works also in the reality...

And when we do that in VATSIM (or IVAO), then we have many manned other towers (airfields) to fly to...

Greetings Heinz Flichtbeil

My only imput at present on this one is that say half fly VATSIM the other half fly IVAO then not all pilots or controllers will see each other! Therefore, it boils down to which of the two shall be used. I've no gripe against joining IVAO and as Aerosoft sponser/host (?) IVAO then it looks as it maywell go down that route?

Alternatively, we don't need IVAO OR VATSIM, but rather just a server that people can log into.

But than we have no other controller on the other airfield around andras field.

The advantage of VATSIM (for example) is, that we have right now "real" traffic and tower controllers around Andras Field.

• Upvote 2

But you have to see it from the point of aerosoft:

When the airfield is online on both networks, more pilots get in touch with that airfield. The result is that more people want to buy this addOn due to the fact that they hear several things about it on other airports (eg: an airliner gets its startup clearence to Andras Field).

Regards

Agree, but, as I stated, there can only be one controller for all to see!! No good having folk on 2 different servers/networks as you are not going to see one from the other. Everyone has to be on the same wavelength or what's the point of the exercise??

There is also another point I could bring into the equation is a Teamspeak2 server, this way no matter what network one may well be on if you are on TS then you can chat away with all pilots etcetera as much as you want.

I am working on that right now.

Hello Mathijs,

are ther already results in terms of online-flying to Andras Field with VATSIM or IVAO?

Hello Mathijs,

are ther already results in terms of online-flying to Andras Field with VATSIM or IVAO?

Mathijs just a question instead of jumping through hoops in vatsim etc i own a va which is affiliated to Virtual Aviation Experience even people in push back tugs are welcome and there server is still in the making but very very close to opening why not ask them if they will be a server sponsor and all you have to do then is join vae which is free and off you go 24 7 server which can cope with large amounts of people flying on it i can have a word if you like just a thought but if you want pm me about it feel free

regards

craig

Mathijs just a question instead of jumping through hoops in vatsim etc i own a va which is affiliated to Virtual Aviation Experience even people in push back tugs are welcome and there server is still in the making but very very close to opening why not ask them if they will be a server sponsor and all you have to do then is join vae which is free and off you go 24 7 server which can cope with large amounts of people flying on it i can have a word if you like just a thought but if you want pm me about it feel free

regards

craig

I don't understand that. Why should we separate Andras Field from the big online world (VATSIM, IVAO)? The membership on this servers are free.

On this two servers there are many controller online (tower, ground, approach, radar, fis...) and many many pilots and virtual airlines over the hole world.

I think , to separate Andras Field from this world, degrades this beautiful project to a "playground" without realism.

Ok, we have to look at the air traffic rules, the ATC-phraseology, the airspaces and so on.

But that makes the flight-SIMULATION "real". And that's what we want. Or not?

I don't understand that. Why should we separate Andras Field from the big online world (VATSIM, IVAO)? The membership on this servers are free.

On this two servers there are many controller online (tower, ground, approach, radar, fis...) and many many pilots and virtual airlines over the hole world.

Because as James A correctly pointed out, the airport would be unable to receive services from both VATSIM and IVAO at the same time.

We need something that all members can use at the same time be they members of VATSIM/IVAO etc or not a member of any online ATC service.

I propose EAFS be treated as an un-controlled field on both VATSIM and IVAO. This way you get En-route and approach control services from either network, but to land at EAFS you have to terminate radar services and switch to unicom.

Unicom can be a server that is for the exclusive use of Andras field, with local Controller (Tower) or no Tower services and pilots follow the

basic procedures used to arrive and depart at an un-controlled field.

This seems workable with FSINN pilot client as its easy to switch to another FSD type server from either VATSIM or IVAO.

This would also allow members who are not part of either VATSIM or IVAO to arrive and depart from Andras field whenever they wish

via a multiplayer session only and communicating via Tower on Unicom with a voice client like Teamspeak.

This also prevents any conflict between rules and regulations or VATSIM/IVAO and the rules/regs the Andras Field board implements.

But the key is to set up something all Andras Field members can use.

Regards.

Ernie.

Because as James A correctly pointed out, the airport would be unable to receive services from both VATSIM and IVAO at the same time.

We need something that all members can use at the same time be they members of VATSIM/IVAO etc or not a member of any online ATC service.

I propose EAFS be treated as an un-controlled field on both VATSIM and IVAO. This way you get En-route and approach control services from either network, but to land at EAFS you have to terminate radar services and switch to unicom.

Unicom can be a server that is for the exclusive use of Andras field, with local Controller (Tower) or no Tower services and pilots follow the

basic procedures used to arrive and depart at an un-controlled field.

This seems workable with FSINN pilot client as its easy to switch to another FSD type server from either VATSIM or IVAO.

This would also allow members who are not part of either VATSIM or IVAO to arrive and depart from Andras field whenever they wish

via a multiplayer session only and communicating via Tower on Unicom with a voice client like Teamspeak.

This also prevents any conflict between rules and regulations or VATSIM/IVAO and the rules/regs the Andras Field board implements.

But the key is to set up something all Andras Field members can use.

Regards.

Ernie.

Why not, if all members of Andras Field (if they are not already) a member of VATSIM (for example) would be? The membership is free. Anybody can join VATSIM. And with FSInn for example we all can fly online on Andras Field with all the advantage of the VATSIM Server. I see no problem.

Why not, if all members of Andras Field (if they are not already) a member of VATSIM (for example) would be? The membership is free. Anybody can join VATSIM. And with FSInn for example we all can fly online on Andras Field with all the advantage of the VATSIM Server. I see no problem.

IVAO is free too, there's a reason IVAO exists , not everyone likes or prefers VATSIM.

Therin lies the problem.

Regards.

Ernie.

IVAO is free too, there's a reason IVAO exists , not everyone likes or prefers VATSIM.

Therin lies the problem.

Regards.

Ernie.

I am still in favour of a dedicated server we can use via the standard FSX multiplayer option. Aerosoft are currently looking into creating a 24x7 server for us. To me this is the simplest option that allows anyone with Andras Field to fly online regardless of experience and skills, with no requirement to join any organisation or complicate matters.

That said, I have no objection if VATSIM or IVAO were to approve the field for operations for pilots to conduct flights on those networks too. I think, though, as the bottom line we need a simple server that everyone can use even if you are new to FSX. VATSIM etc is overwhelming for many newbies and others simply do not want this complexity. I see no reason all these options cannot co-exist but I think a simple dedicated server is a must-have.

JaneRachel

Therin lies the problem.

Regards.

Ernie.

Thata allright! I wrote VATSIM only as an example. We can certainly use IVAO.

Regards

Heinz

I am still in favour of a dedicated server we can use via the standard FSX multiplayer option. Aerosoft are currently looking into creating a 24x7 server for us. To me this is the simplest option that allows anyone with Andras Field to fly online regardless of experience and skills, with no requirement to join any organisation or complicate matters.

That said, I have no objection if VATSIM or IVAO were to approve the field for operations for pilots to conduct flights on those networks too. I think, though, as the bottom line we need a simple server that everyone can use even if you are new to FSX. VATSIM etc is overwhelming for many newbies and others simply do not want this complexity. I see no reason all these options cannot co-exist but I think a simple dedicated server is a must-have.

JaneRachel

Im with you totally on that one Jane! Priority one: FSX standard multiplayer server!

The rest of it, well the opinions differ, and of course this IS the job for our online Manager ChristianG, so I call upon you ChristianG to address this issue! :excl:

JaneRachel

What is complex by VATSIM or IVAO?. The only thing is, that you must keep as pilot for example to the air traffic regulations, the atc and the airspaces. And i hope that we want it too. We run a flight SIMULATION.

Regards

Heinz Flichtbeil

I agree with you 100%, this is probably the best way to start.

Regards.

Ernie.