The Aerosoft hangar

• Aerosoft

And now it is placed where it belongs, and I parked the Catalina. Time for a beer. Note that we got enough space in our hangar to add two smaller GA aircraft in there as well.

Very nice 38 fps and smooth as butter even though the settings are all as advised in the manual (near max on all sliders).

post-43-127747537514_thumb.jpg

• Aerosoft

Nice ! Looks a bit Art Deco / Fritz Lang. Nice to see a hangar that isn't another T2. :)

Architecture is a major part of the project. And indeed it has a Art Deco look to it. Others recognized a bit of Albert Speer though. Both seem to make sense.

Check out this very weird hangar for seaplanes, obviously build for tidal water. It an existing hangar we just replaced to Andras Field Seaplane Base;

aerosoft_andras_028.jpg

• Upvote 1

Is that a swimming pool on the roof of the hanger?? Be great for these long summer evenings. I'd noticed a couple of flying schools in one of the other posts, maybe I should drop in a cv ;)

• Aerosoft

Is that a swimming pool on the roof of the hanger?? Be great for these long summer evenings. I'd noticed a couple of flying schools in one of the other posts, maybe I should drop in a cv ;)

Yes it's a pool. only 150 cm deep though otherwise the weight would be to much.

Hi Mathjis,

If I send you some hand drawings with basic measurements, would you possibly be able to fashion a hangar/home for me in a part of Adras I will describe on the drawing?

I really like your hangar and want something like it for my plot!

Cheers,

Craig Tatley

• Aerosoft

Hi Mathjis,

If I send you some hand drawings with basic measurements, would you possibly be able to fashion a hangar/home for me in a part of Adras I will describe on the drawing?

I really like your hangar and want something like it for my plot!

Cheers,

Craig Tatley

Mmmm a very tentative yes on that. The problem is that it it takes easy 10 hours to build something like that and our internal developers come at serious cost. Now it is now problem to tweak something here and there but my CEO will skin me if I give away to hours. So what we are more or less hoping is that there will be a bunch of hobby modelers that could help. These days it is very hard for a non professional developer to do a complete aircraft or airport as even a moderate one takes serious time (think 1000 hours) and a few thousand dollars in software. But doing a simple house can be done with free software (for example Google ScetchUp) and we could then compile it for you.

Hi Mathjis,

I understand, though would it be possible to create a hangar/home based on tweaking the AS hangar, not changing it completely?

Cheers,

Craig Tatley

Hi Mathjis,

I understand, though would it be possible to create a hangar/home based on tweaking the AS hangar, not changing it completely?

Cheers,

Craig Tatley

Not to pre-empt Mathijs, Craig, but that Aerosoft hangar needs to be unique. Making it tweekable for your own uses, you end up with loads of look-alikes. The impact of the original would be lost.

• Upvote 3

• Aerosoft

Hi Mathjis,

Cheers,

Craig Tatley

Well there are two problems with that. The first is that it is a rather complex structure even though it is designed very clever with repeating elements etc. But having ten of these next to each other would bring down FPS too much. The 'user properties' will have to be simple, we are working right now on how complex (in polygons and textures) they can be to keep fps in the 35 to 40 fps it is now. The second is, as others commented, that it is such a special structure it would look weird to see much of these.

Third (and that's not a problem) we hope people start getting their own ideas.

At the moment I am playing around with Google Sketch up to see if I am able to draw my own little residence. Pretty nice piece of software.

While playing around I got an idea. What about placing a simple, framerate-friendly version of each house in the scenery for everyone and a more complex version for the owner of the house (if available). So the owner can actually have an open hangar with some nice details in it and a hot-tub with BBQ on the roof: smile.gif

The normal user will only have simple housings in the scenery, and everyone who owns a plot with a house got a nice more detailed version of his own property.

Furthermore it might be possible to include opening hangar-doors for your own hangar.

• Aerosoft

At the moment I am playing around with Google Sketch up to see if I am able to draw my own little residence. Pretty nice piece of software.

While playing around I got an idea. What about placing a simple, framerate-friendly version of each house in the scenery for everyone and a more complex version for the owner of the house (if available). So the owner can actually have an open hangar with some nice details in it and a hot-tub with BBQ on the roof: smile.gif

The normal user will only have simple housings in the scenery, and everyone who owns a plot with a house got a nice more detailed version of his own property.

Furthermore it might be possible to include opening hangar-doors for your own hangar.

Not a bad idea, but complex in maintenance. Let's just see how this works out in the first few weeks. Right now fps is brilliant.