Autogen beating the crap out of my FSX

keflin2612

Hi all,

I can run FSX with all sliders in the scenery maxed out all except Autogen, I can just about run it with the autogen set to sparse any more than this just kills the frame rates and even with all all other sliders set to minimum and just using the autogen slider it still becomes unusable with autogen set to anymore than sparse, looking at an aircraft externally in spot view when you slew around the aircraft 360 degrees I get 30fps (locked) but as soon as it comes into contact with any autogen the fps jump down to as low as 9fps causing really bad stutters.

I've tried setting the frame rate slider to unlimited but it makes no difference.

Nothing else in FSX kills the frame rates just the autogen, is there something I can do about it.

And yes I do have FSX set up properly.

So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Kev.

My Specs.

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Motherboard.

Intel core i7 920 D0 Stepping CPU

Corsair 6gb (3x2gb) 2,000MHz Memory

Cooler Master V10 Hybrid TEC Cooler

2 x Western Digital Velociraptor 150GB 10,000rpm Hard Drive and 1x 300GB Western Digital Velociraptor

Asus ENGTX285

CoolerMaster Real Power 1250w Power Supply

I am far from being knowledgable at this, but from what I read so far it depends on the graphics card:

Cards with a higher number of processors are better at processing autogen, while cards with a higher clock rate are better at processing textures.

- NVIDIA card: great for high res textures (ground textures, high res clouds etc.) but not good for autogen (fewer processors)

- ATI card: great for autogen (high number of processors) not good for textures (slow clock rate)

I would just blame the CPU pure and simple...smile.gif You won't be out of the woods until we have at least 2x the memory bandwidth that the 920 or current i7s offer. The thing to remember is rougly 80% of the clock cycles is preping the scene for rendering by the GPU. The more autogen or anything the more cycles.

Yes but there are other people using similar hardware to mine but I haven't heard of anyone else complaining about their Autogen.

I have a very similar computer and never have the autogen higher than dense. If I turn it higher I get spikes and stutters.

Why are you running with all your sliders maxed out? This isn't like FS9, most addon scenery is designed to run at a specific resolution for optimum results. Moving them higher won't change the look of the scenery, but it will affect performance. As long as you're willing to compromise on the other sliders, you'll be able to increase your autogen.

Why are you running with all your sliders maxed out? This isn't like FS9, most addon scenery is designed to run at a specific resolution for optimum results. Moving them higher won't change the look of the scenery, but it will affect performance. As long as you're willing to compromise on the other sliders, you'll be able to increase your autogen.

No I wont I have already said in my original post that even with All sliders at 0 the Autogen effects FSX with anymore than sparse.

Pleaser read original post's before replying.

• Aerosoft

Good show Bruce.

FS2004 was intended as a single platform for all sims, FSX was designed to be flexible and expects the user to set the sim to what he wants. They only forgot to tell the customers.

The highest autogen setting in FS2004 is about the the same the second lowest autogen setting in FSX and both are more or less silly if you fly a 747. When you takeoff you never see anything and when you are landing you got other things to do then seeing the same house repeated over and over. Read this, perhaps it gives you a better insight: http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=30796

• Upvote 1