Chicago-X "jerky" display

DaveL

Hello,

Yesterday I purchased the Chicago-X scenery. It looks great! However I do have a problem. To make sure the problem is not caused by my setup, I uninstalled my anti-virus. I updated my video and other computer drivers. I completely uninstalled everything FS related and then re-installed FSX, then SP1, then SP2, then Chicago-X. I have no other 3rd party FS software installed. I defragged multiple times between each step, and I tested the performance before installing each item. Everything works fine until I use the Chicago-X scenery. My problem is that when using the Chicago-X scenery my system will run about 30 fps, but once every 3 seconds (approximately 3 seconds) my system will jump down to 8 fps and then go back up to 30 fps. It is at the 8 fps for only one "tick" of the fps display status. It is like a clock, once every 3 seconds. It is very consistent. The display is very jerky, not smooth at all. It is jerky all the time, not just once every 3 seconds. I have this problem with any aircraft. I have the problem while not moving. I have the problem in any view. I have the problem with either scenery density tool choice (more custom 3D buildings or less custom 3D buildings). While the fps goes up, the problem remains if I move my FSX sliders lower. I run FSX in windowed mode (not full screen mode) but the problem remains if I run in full screen mode. If I disable the Chicago-X and use the default FSX scenery, I will get a smooth display at a steady 42 fps. I am happy with the 30 fps with Chicago-X, but the jerky display is a real problem.

Do you have any suggestions for me? It is frustrating because I really want to use the Chicago-X scenery!

Specifications:

FSX w/SP1& SP2.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.6GHz.

6 GB DDR3-1600 triple channel.

EVGA GTX-480 video card running the 257.21 driver.

1920 x 1200 x 32 display.

Most FSX sliders at maximum.

No AI aircraft or vehicles.

No changes to my fsx.cfg file.

FSX set to unlimited frames.

Windows 7 64-bit with all updates.

Thanks,

DaveL

FSX set to unlimited frames.

Sometimes (for some video cards in particular) not the best setting because exactly those "hickups" can occur then. Better set it to about 22-25ftps (your human eye can't see more than that anyway) and give it another try.

Bests,

Sascha

Sometimes (for some video cards in particular) not the best setting because exactly those "hickups" can occur then. Better set it to about 22-25ftps (your human eye can't see more than that anyway) and give it another try.

Bests,

Sascha

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I run FSX with the target frame rate set to unlimited per Mathijs Kok's recommendation: http://www.forum.aer...showtopic=30796

If I set the target frame rate to 15 it helps, but the problem still exists. The display still stutters and the frame rate count display changes to 8 fps about once every 3 seconds.

Very strange.

Further testing has shown the below:

- The "Scenery Complexity" slider affects the stutter and frame rate problem. If I run with it set to "normal" or higher, the problem exists. If I set it to "sparse" or lower, I can have every other slider to the maximum and there is no problem. The display is smooth and the displayed frame rate count is normal. Unfortunately, when set to "sparse" or lower, all the beautiful buildings are gone.

-Selecting the "Preview DirectX 10" gives me a worse experience. The stutter problem still exists, and the overall display quality is worse when selecting the DirectX 10. Is DirectX 10 recommended for Chicago-X?

- If I move to an airport outside of the Chicago-X scenery, all is good. If I move to any airport inside the Chicago-X area, the stutter and frame rate problem exists.

Please help with any suggestions! I live in the Chicago area and really want to use the beautiful scenery!

Thanks,

DaveL

Hello Dave,

Maybe your system elsewhere needs some resources and uses a lot of cycles for that short moment,

Maybe you could open the task manager and find FSX and check its usage and then when it drops see if another service.program may be using cycles as well.

But if its momentarily then its not like its for seconds at a time, yoiu might also want to try running FSX at all default settings and then recheck the speed.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Why hasn't anyone answered the question to his problem here. This is the forum for solving problems and we cant act like its not happening on all the systems. I have the same exact problem on my system with the i7 2600K overclocked at 4.7 Ghz. I have the GTX 580 graphics card and there doesnt seem to be an explanation to why this happens. I have the addons for KORD and for KMDW and they work just fine, forget about default, who flies that way anymore. But Chicago X when its on is doing the Jerky thing every few seconds without fail. So the conclusion is Aerosoft needs to come up with a fix. Where is it......Some one take the time to help your fellow simmers out here. I have no problem helping out my brothers when FSX has a problem.

Marc Anthony Gonzalez

• Upvote 1

• Deputy Sheriffs

Why hasn't anyone answered the question to his problem here.

Marc, the answer might be not satisfying but is very simpel: There is no answer. This is one of the mysteries with FSX. Some people have problems in certain areas where others dont. And as no individual system is comparable with others, it is nearly impossible to help others, especially in the case of a lack of performance. It is no problem to give the support if parts of a scenery are missing or not correctly displayed, or in case that an aircraft addon doesn't work. More then 90% of such cases are because of user errors (wrong installation, wrong settings, insufficient access rights....). And as there are billions of possible combinations between Hardware, OS, Addons, settings in various areas, it is nearly impossible to help others. You can only give recommendations, but as a software vendor you can not setup each individual system.

If give you an example:

Here and in some other forums some people try to find a solution for CTDs caused by a g3d.dll error, occuring for some people in certain areas. But many others never experienced this error under "nearly" same conditions, even with lower end PCs. Some people might be able to solve this problem by removing other addons or changing some settings within FSX or the graphiccard. But for others these solution want work. And if you realize that this g3d.dll occurs since 2001 (!!), it's for sure that the problem is not solely caused by one scenery or one addon, but by a combination of certaim circumstances nobody is able to figure out.

And you can be sure that the guys from Aerosft are doing there very best, but in such a case (that is very rare at least here in this forum) it is nearly impossible.

I have the same problem with this product. I have FSX and was shocked to discover that Microsoft had done away with Meigs Field. It was as most people know, the default airport to fly from. I bought Chicago - X because it has the best rendition of Meigs Field that I could find. I only wonted if for that really, but in fact, the whole package is outstanding in itself, except that it has come with all the problems that DaveL and others have mentioned.

If I stick to the Meigs Field airport area the scenery manages to cope, but if I go anywhere near O'Hare or particulary Shaumburg, the scenery becomes complely unworkable. The aircraft usually blacks out, that is to say, all of the cockpit instrumentation disapears into a blackness. The buildings grow black spikes and look horribe. The concrete aprons and taxiways shimmer and look strange. They sort of flash. When that happens I have to terminate the flight and start again. Like most people, I have lots of third party sceneries, and all of them behave faultlessly. My PC is bang up to date and can handle any programme there is with no difficulty at all, not just FSX. I've tried all of the usual things to get the Chicago-X to run properly and it is having none of it. So I just fly out of Meigs from time to time because I like hearing the sounds of the water and the traffic around the airport, which is nice. I bought it in June 2010. I've given up on the rest of it.

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2007/03/meigs_field_-_preserved_in_google_earth.html

I have Chicago X with FSDT - KORD and have no issues with the scenery. It runs great on my stock I7 875K 2.93G with an GTX460 video card. All my sliders are to the right except the water slider. I get 20+ fps and no jerky movement.

LittleWing - I actually live in Schaumburg, IL. I have Schaumburg (06C) setup as my default airport, so when I want to do a quick local flight, it is just a load and go for me. What you describe does not happen for me in the Schaumburg area of the scenery.

What Mopperle says is correct. I even had the g3d.dll error he describes. The common scenario was that FSX would crash when I used AES. When AES was active for the airport, FSX would crash when I loaded up the AES enabled airport. Disable the airport in AES, and the FSX would not crash. With the help of Oliver and some digging on my own, I found that there was a line in my FSX.cfg file was causing the problem. The line was the preload setting. It had nothing to do with AES. Another FS friend of mine had this setting enabled, uses AES and had the exact same motherboard, processor, memory and video card as I and didn't have the issue. For some reason, I did.

Don't totally blame the software when there are so many other variables that could cause the issues.

Don't totally blame the software when there are so many other variables that could cause the issues.

I'll have another poke around. I know somehing isn't right, I just need to get on top of it. All my other payware things have gone on and run faultlessly. I don't what to fiddle around where I'm not supposed to. I've been trying to get this right since I bought it. If I knew what line to delete I'd do it. I shouldn't need to be deleting lines or anything else. It should run. AES, Advanced Encryption Standard? I don't think I'm running that and until you mentioned it, I'd never heard of it. If you know what to do to fix it, let me know and I'll try it. Other people have indentified one of the 'variables' as the software, not just me.

Hello Littlewing,

Back up your fsx.cfg to a safe location and then delete the original and then restart FSX and let it write a new one.

Then try Chicago again and check the scenery.

Hi Shaun, many thanks for your guidance, I assure you it's very much appreciated and it gave me a new way to go. I did as you said, I didn't realise I'd lose most of my preferred settings but that was a minor issue, I soon had those back in apple pie order. But.........

Unfortunately, it was to no avail. I even uninstalled the software and had a look around and put on a freeware download of Meigs. Well, truth to tell, you could have knocked me down with a feather! The black spikey lines were there again, not as bad but definitely there, like clingons on the starboard bow! I was shocked.

I still don't know what's wrong with it. It happens in the vicinity of O'Hare when it comes on. I'll just have to live with it for now and keep my eyes and ears open.

It proved to me one thing for a complete certainty, there is nothing wrong with the Aerosoft Chicago X software, which, I'm bound to add, means I have to eat my words and agree with Beckerm13, he was right.

As a small aside, I'm flying into O'Hare later in the year on vacation and will be in Chicago for three days.I will be making my way to Merril Meigs Field to see for myself what has happend there and to try and imagine what it was like before Mayor Daley hit it in the dead of night with the bulldozers.

Many thanks again. :rolleyes: