208 Squadron to Kenya...

Here is the text of an email that I just sent to my surviving squadron buddies and I thought I would post it here as it contains the URLs of all six HD videos (two of which have been updated) and a set of instructions on how to watch them if your bandwidth is not really up to it:-

ferry04.jpg

The 208 Squadron Hunters on the restored concrete strip at Embakasi Airport, Nairobi, in Flight Simulator.

Well I managed to persuade my 12 Hunters to fly from Stradishall to Nairobi with the same legs that they used 50 years ago in 1960...I also managed to do it on the same days...1st, 2nd and 3rd June. I know that we had our fours flying separately but it would have been a bit boring in fours so I sent them as a 12 ship battle formation of three fours. I've been unable to establish exactly who flew in which four but here is how they are split in my simulation:-

Red section...Boss Ramirez, Tim Cohu, Pete Biddiscombe and Dicky Brown.

Blue section...Mac McLeland, Alastair Macnab, Pete Tate and Stu Grieve.

Green section...Des Melaniphy, Flick Hennessey, Dinga Bell and Huck Sawyer.

I put together some video clips taken on each leg and published a YouTube Video for each leg...so six videos.

The only pilots flying in this are AI (Artificial Intelligence) Pilots in the Traffic versions of the Hunters...I went along in REAL time by "Attaching" myself to one or other of the twelve and viewing (and videoing) from that position or from the ground for the take-offs and landings. The initial take-off from Stradishall is a rather unrealistic "Squadron scramble" but all the other take-offs are realistic stream take-offs in fours. The breaks for landing are from Battle Formation Fours except the final one at Nairobi where they get to use Echelon Fours for the break. Landings are all stream landings in fours but the spacing is a bit closer than real and even becomes close formation for the odd pair or three!

The videos are all YouTube HD and will only stream properly if you have enough bandwidth on your Broadband...If they won't run for you and keep stopping then see my note at the bottom about a good method to watch without interuptions. Each video runs for about 8 or 9 minutes.

These HD YouTube videos are best viewed with the resolution clicked up to 1080p and the Picture Size icon clicked to the larger size...You can even click on the Full Screen icon but on my very large monitor it looks sharper with the previously described setting.

Here are the six videos:-

Stradishall to Luqa:-

Luqa to Nicosia:-

Nicosia to Tehran:-

Tehran to Sharjah:-

Sharjah to Khormaksar:-

Khormaksar to Nairobi:-

NOTE ON HOW TO WATCH WITHOUT INTERUPTIONS.

1. Click on the URL to get your chosen video.

2. The moment the YouTube viewing screen showsclick the icon at the bottom left of the screen to STOP.

3. Go to the icon on the right for resolution and click it up to 1080p.

4. Click the two arrowed icon to the right of the resolution icon to select the largest of the two screen sizes.

5. Note that the video is STOPPED at the moment but it is still downloading as indicated by the PINK band moving slowly to the right, down on the left bottom edge.

6. Wait to allow this PINK band to move a couple of inches to the right (let it move to the bottom left corner of the image and then about the same distance again).

7. Click the icon at the bottom left of the screen to PLAY...It should now play from start to finish without interuption.

• Upvote 1

Very nice. I particularly liked the shots of the formation flying over the mountains. Do you use flightplanner to organise the formations? They seem closely grouped which I dont seem to be able to achieve when putting flights of aircraft together. I also find that being in close proximity to an AI aircraft will cause it to 'slalom' around the sky - you seem to have avoided this although possibly because your aircraft was stationed to one side.

Edit: Ignore my question above - I've just seen your post in the screenshot discussion about how this is done. Very impressive!

Very nice. I particularly liked the shots of the formation flying over the mountains. Do you use flightplanner to organise the formations? They seem closely grouped which I dont seem to be able to achieve when putting flights of aircraft together. I also find that being in close proximity to an AI aircraft will cause it to 'slalom' around the sky - you seem to have avoided this although possibly because your aircraft was stationed to one side.

Edit: Ignore my question above - I've just seen your post in the screenshot discussion about how this is done. Very impressive!

Tim,

Thanks for the comments and I'm glad you enjoyed it :)