Approaching Innsbruck FS9

pennkiwi

Hi Shaun

I am using the FS9 version of Approaching Innsbruck and am having serious FPS issues. Though I have been amazed by many of the features of this product, I am finding that the FPS hit means I will be making very little use of it except for flying around in a helo admiring the traffic etc. What is strange is that the FPS drop occurs only when I am viewing the main airport buildings. In spite of the complexity of the scenery, all other views are fine. I have tried to narrow it down and I think it is the main terminal that causes it, but it could be the adjacent buildings. If I approach these in a helo my FPS drops into the low 10-12 FPS range. As soon as I pass over them it goes back up to 25 FPS where I have it set. I have tried a number of things such as turning off various features and even reinstalling but the problem is very consistent.

I use UT Europe and have tried changing the scenery priority for this and also for AustriaPro Scenery and even turning them off - no difference. If I could solve this then the product would become one of my favorite add-ons but as it now is, it's more a source of frustration than anything and I regret purchasing it. I don't think it's a hardware or settings issue as it is isolated to just one part of the overall scenery. Everything else runs smoothly

There is a low resolution patch for LOWI - that helps !!

Thanks Jack. I have applied the low resolution textures and that did pick up the FPS though not enough to really enjoy "approaching Innsbruck" without it being a bit of a slide-show. What puzzles and frustrates me is that in much of the scenery, I get perfectly good frame rates, even though there are a number of complex 3D objects in sight and all that wonderful ground traffic whizzing smoothly by. (LOVE IT! An amazing bit of programming)... But when the main airport buildings are within sight, the FPS drops dramatically. I have many far more complex airport add-ons that I have no problem with and so this is really puzzling and frustrating.

Hello Pennkiwi,

What do you call low FPS what speed does it run at now.

Also try setting all sliders to default and see what you get then.

Are you running 3d clouds any high resolution textures for anything else etc etc in your sim..

• 1 month later...

Hello Pennkiwi,

What do you call low FPS what speed does it run at now.

Also try setting all sliders to default and see what you get then.

Are you running 3d clouds any high resolution textures for anything else etc etc in your sim..

Hi Shaun

I am sorry it's been ages since I checked back on the forum. I have tweaked things as much as I can (visibility, clouds etc.) and find that if I run it with winter textures, low visibility and no clouds and a simple aircraft I get around 16-18 fps in the problem area with the settings locked at 24 fps. Everywhere else on the scenery it's perfect - it's just certain view angles with the main terminal in sight. It's no big deal - if nobody else is having a problem with it then I guess I just have to put up with it. It's just a bit disappointing as this is such a wonderful product otherwise and I would use it a lot more if I could retain smooth fps at all angles. Am using the low res textures, have tried switching off AI (which helped a bit of course but didn't make the problem go away) - have tried disabling Austria Professional. Nothing has made any difference. Like I said, if nobody else has had a problem then I guess I will just have to accept it as is. I still enjoy the add-on and have had some fun flights with the Aerosoft Super Cub on skis but have given up trying to use any complex aircraft add-ons as the approach visuals just get too jerky for it to be enjoyable.

Hi Shaun

Thanks for the reply. 16-18 fps is marginal for me. I am a retired commercial pilot and love the feeling of being back in the air when I become immersed in FS. But once the visuals stop being fluid, the illusion of flight is destroyed and I just feel frustrated and do not really enjoy it. Anything below 22 fps doesn't work for me. Like I said, it's no big deal - I do enjoy the Innsbruck scenery for an occasional helicopter or GA tour around the area. I am intending to buy a new computer later this year and I'm sure that will make the difference and I will get to fly some realistic approaches into LOWI with something a little more sophisticated than the default Robinson or Piper PA18.

Take care

Ian

• 3 months later...

Hi Shaun

I don't know if you will even see this old thread being reactived but thought I'd update you. I finally got my new PC and all my FS9.1 scenery is now operating with sliders full to the right and great FPS including EGLL and EDDM and other complex airports in high traffic, urban areas. Approaching Innsbruck is now much better than it was and I can now fly complex aircraft in and out with good performance and all the options turned on. It's wonderful and I now feel that I'm getting what I paid for.

But I do have to tell you that it still gives a huge hit to FPS compared to all my other sceneries, many of which are far more complex. It is now in the "acceptable" range, but whereas I am getting FPS in the 40's and 50's with all my other payware sceneries, I am only getting low 20's in that same area of the Innsbruck scenery that I complained about back in August. I don't expect a fix - that's clearly not going to happen. But I have loaded the low resolution textures which I haven't had to do with any other scenery so far and have to turn the sliders back. No big deal - but I am more convinced than ever that there is something there in one of the buildings in or near the main terminal that is causing the problem.

This is just a FYI - nothing more. It's a great scenery - but I am convinced there is a programming issue with it that could/should have been fixed

Ian

• 1 year later...

Hi Ian,

Please check fs9.cfg, search and edit the following line (as in Manual page 29).

TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19

I also had the FPS hit, but now i can set all slider to the right and still get smooth approaching Innsbruck :)

Good luck!