Aerosoft Airbus X - Preview

There is a list of configurable items and interface/interfaces defined for it? Like example IRS align time or "Cold and dark" situation etc.

In case an user intends to change FCU colours, it will be pointed out in the manual what user options exists and what can be changed?

What can be configured before starting FSX and what can be configured inside FSX, of course, if it is possible for you to say this?

So the base question is how much configurable it will be and by which means can be configured (for fuel and payload I saw in this topic interface presented).

Thanks!

Hi

I have two questions regarding the flight dynamics:

1. will the Autopilot able to hold the speed steadily during "Open Climb" or "Open Descend"?

2. will the Autopilot intercept localizer smoothly or make lots of S turn in order to do that?

I usually fly with PMDG aircrafts but not because of the complex systems, I fly with them just because the Autopilot flies the plane very smoothly. I hope your bird will satisfy my needs. I'm dying to fly a damn good airbus in FS for long long years :)

Thanks

Alp

Hi

I have two questions regarding the flight dynamics:

1. will the Autopilot able to hold the speed steadily during "Open Climb" or "Open Descend"?

2. will the Autopilot intercept localizer smoothly or make lots of S turn in order to do that?

I usually fly with PMDG aircrafts but not because of the complex systems, I fly with them just because the Autopilot flies the plane very smoothly. I hope your bird will satisfy my needs. I'm dying to fly a damn good airbus in FS for long long years :)

Thanks

Alp

The autopilot does hold the speed steadily during climb and descent; of course if vertical speed is too high you may need to use the spoilers, but that's not uncommon.

The localiser capture if Aibus X is one of the best I've seen. If you capture at a realistic vector it gets it in one go.

Chris

• Aerosoft

well so far no good news as my first plan diden work as expected, but the Albatross have it build in to the model insted of effects as far as i know.

The advanced lighting is her also build in the model as effects can never light up terrain/objects.

• Upvote 1

I think you are really looking at a different kind of product, speedbird. The customer we got in mind simply does not know many of the items you list as he is just upgrading from the default aircraft! Yes we do have Init B and we include a tool to determine take-off speeds (with FLEX), but in flight modes we simplified things. You feel all those issues belong in the basic version, I beg to differ and suggest you read the manual before you decided to buy this aircraft to see what's included and what not.

The two page manual grew into three page by now, but it's still amazingly simple. As the real aircraft is. A few weeks ago I was in a big sim with a real A320 crew. They showed me how they could go from a cold and dark aircraft to one that's ready on the runway for a circuit in under 3 minutes. Okay the INS was not fully aligned but believe me, that has not held a modern airliner from making it's take-off slot for the last decade! Our full manual will be over 100 pages for sure.

Thanks for the response. It looks to me I see the difference now.wink.gif I think I will buy it in any way. I really like the graphicbiggrin.gif . I hope advanced version is in the future plans. rolleyes.gif

Thank you.

• Aerosoft

There is a list of configurable items and interface/interfaces defined for it? Like example IRS align time or "Cold and dark" situation etc.

In case an user intends to change FCU colours, it will be pointed out in the manual what user options exists and what can be changed?

What can be configured before starting FSX and what can be configured inside FSX, of course, if it is possible for you to say this?

So the base question is how much configurable it will be and by which means can be configured (for fuel and payload I saw in this topic interface presented).

Thanks!

Well allmost all coding is in XML so almost everything can be changed and enhanced by the user. In this aspect it is a VERY open projects and we encourage user changes. However it is not easy to support this fully, we can only say we'll do our best. It's over 100.000 lines of code so adding this stuff to the manual is very much impossible.

Not 100% sure what your second part of the question includes. The Load tool allows you to set passengers, cargo and fuel and will write this to FSX (to show how easy to use this aircraft is, we'll even show roughly how far you can fly with the fuel load). There are no additional options to change the aircraft inside FSX. Not that kind of project. We keep saying it, this is for people who find the default aircraft boring and got a copy of PMDG 747 they can't use. You can count me one of those people!).

• Upvote 1

The autopilot does hold the speed steadily during climb and descent; of course if vertical speed is too high you may need to use the spoilers, but that's not uncommon.

The localiser capture if Aibus X is one of the best I've seen. If you capture at a realistic vector it gets it in one go.

Chris

Thanks for the answers Chris, now I'm happy :) and looking forward for the release.

• Aerosoft

Now even I am blown away by this. Honestly.

Framerates have always been a major concern in this project. Where it is very hard to optimize scenery, there is a lot to gain in aircraft modeling. Our goal has always been to stay close to the default Airbus of FSX, say not more then 25% below that in FPS. And while we are no adding the final bits to the daily build I was able to see how fast this bus is. The images were made on my own machine that was running loads of other apps at the time. Almost the complete MS office was open, browser windows and I was even playing the last episode of TopGear on the second screen (I have never seen closing applications made FSX seriously faster so I never care). The scenery was our new Kos (love that one) and I was using pretty high settings, real weather yada yada yada.

I attach 4 images and will make very little comments.

• Default Airbus VC, 22,329 polygons, average framerate -> 37 fps
  • Our Airbus VC, 173,313 polygons, average framerate -> 41 fps
  • Default Airbus external, 49.902 polygons, average framerate -> 47 fps
  • Our Airbus external, 102,221 polygons, average framerate -> 37 fps
    Few comments...
    • XML might be a total bitch to debug, it's most certainly not slower then C++ in FSX.
    • Using highly skilled and trained artist pays off big time in aircraft development (all raise your glass and salute Stefan). He did explain what he did right and MS did wrong but after mentioning "cleaner mapping" I sort of lost contact.)
    • We got ourselves and aircraft that will not slow FSX down in complex environments.
    • Adding more polygons to the external model and making it shade itself hurts. We seen this in the F-16 and Catalina. If you disable self shading the default and our bus are much closer in fps.
    • The default Airbus got a very weird cockpit, almost no sight line is correct.
    • Promises a lot for the CRJ as that one is more optimized.
    • This is more then a few comments...

• post-43-128206380513_thumb.jpg
      post-43-128206380924_thumb.jpg
      post-43-128206381416_thumb.jpg
      post-43-128206381804_thumb.jpg
  • Upvote 8

Well allmost all coding is in XML so almost everything can be changed and enhanced by the user. In this aspect it is a VERY open projects and we encourage user changes. However it is not easy to support this fully, we can only say we'll do our best. It's over 100.000 lines of code so adding this stuff to the manual is very much impossible.

Not 100% sure what your second part of the question includes. The Load tool allows you to set passengers, cargo and fuel and will write this to FSX (to show how easy to use this aircraft is, we'll even show roughly how far you can fly with the fuel load). There are no additional options to change the aircraft inside FSX. Not that kind of project. We keep saying it, this is for people who find the default aircraft boring and got a copy of PMDG 747 they can't use. You can count me one of those people!).

Thanks Mathijs for your answers.

Related to second question I was refering for example at the case when load tool can be accessed inside FSX and apply the changes directly, with the plane at the ramp/gate.

Another case are the chokes, removal will be done by using a separate gauge/window with options, automatically depending on the flight phase or by setting a keyboard shortcut?

I was referring more to these.

About customer area on which Aerosoft is oriented is clear and I will buy this product as I don't intend to test failures during my flights (but I must admit also that I will put my money on the advanced also if sometime it will be developed).

• Upvote 1

• Aerosoft

Would love to see a high res screenshot of the overhead panel at night :D

But of course. Note that any kind of image compression is not kind on these low contrast images, it sure looks better in FSX.

I clicked some buttons to make it more interesting (you know Airbus, if it's okay it's dark) and while I was making the image the caution bell was on, the warning chime was on, the PTU was slaving away almost continuous to level fuel balance and the MCDU did not know what page to show first. Left wipers were on half speed, right wipers on full (and they both got separate sounds). In fact it was a very noisy and messed up cockpit.

post-43-128206552847_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

• Aerosoft

Thanks Mathijs for your answers.

Related to second question I was refering for example at the case when load tool can be accessed inside FSX and apply the changes directly, with the plane at the ramp/gate.

Another case are the chokes, removal will be done by using a separate gauge/window with options, automatically depending on the flight phase or by setting a keyboard shortcut?

I was referring more to these.

About customer area on which Aerosoft is oriented is clear and I will buy this product as I don't intend to test failures during my flights (but I must admit also that I will put my money on the advanced also if sometime it will be developed).

The tools are all made to write to a running FSX, no need to restart etc. It just checks if FSX is running and the right aircraft is loaded. I'll attach a pic of the tool (but without a lot of the stuff that goes on top of it), it does not show the take-off sheet, we are still working on that one. Display of the chocks, GPSU, cones is done in the same MCDU screen as the doors, Image attached as well. Shows pretty well who we got in mind as customer.

post-43-128206631837_thumb.jpg

post-43-128206632168_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

• Aerosoft

The tools are all made to write to a running FSX, no need to restart etc. It just checks if FSX is running and the right aircraft is loaded. I'll attach a pic of the tool (but without a lot of the stuff that goes on top of it), it does not show the take-off sheet, we are still working on that one. Display of the chocks, GPSU, cones is done in the same MCDU screen as the doors, Image attached as well. Shows pretty well who we got in mind as customer.

Wait, let me show one that has some more of the text. For example a rough idea of how far the fuel will last, that is something newbies always have problems with. Most just load up 100% and hope it will last.

post-43-128206659741_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Ok, now this is fine for me, from interface point of view, I like simple but efficient solutions, even if I have to use complex functionalities.

Thanks!

Hi Mathijs,

Those fps stats are incredible, I would have never thought they would have been faster than the default 321, especially with the level of detail in aerosoft's model.

Quick question, in that shot of the aerosoft cockpit you showed (comparing both aerosoft and default a321), should the fd indicator show 1fd2 and not 1fd?

Products looking great, can't wait to buy!

The advanced lighting is her also build in the model as effects can never light up terrain/objects.

well thx for leting me know, i also havent tryed whit effects i tryed whit an box you could see in front of the plane whit some reflection but dident work probberly, but lets se would try some more tomorow or so i think. also have tryed to contack the guy behind the Albatross

• Aerosoft

Quick question, in that shot of the aerosoft cockpit you showed (comparing both aerosoft and default a321), should the fd indicator show 1fd2 and not 1fd?

1FD2 is only shown when both FD's are on, but do consider we simplify the right PFD/ND. This makes it a whopping lot faster and if the captain needs to look at the right displays there is already a huge problem. We REALLY focus on the pilots seat, while it still looks more then okay if you happen to look right. Simulating one seat is hard enough but doing two is one of the biggest mistakes add-on builders make in our not so humble opinion.

• Upvote 2

Hi,

a few questions about the Displays and the Systems:

1) if i enter a frequency in the FMS (on the RAD NAV page, or however it is called in an airbus^^), and if i enter a course on which i want to fly to the VOR does the airbus show me a line which i have to fly on the go to the VOR with the heading i want? (i hope you understand what i mean). Mathijs, can you please show a screenshot of the ND if you make those inputs in the MCDU?

2)Which funktions does the AP actually have? (can someone please list them up?)

3)The new Concorde X has some effects which let the aircraft "drop" from the sky if you're flying much to fast, or that the weels can burn if you brake to strong. Is the airbus X having something similar?

4)in a youtube video i saw a display in the upper right corner of the vc (i think it shows the area behind the cockpit so that the pilots can see who is there if someone knoks at the door). Can someone load a screenshot of this display here?

5)as far as i know every single screen in the system display is there, but what is with the electric checklists for abnormal procedures? are a few of them simulated? if yes, which ones? (i don't expect all, only for the most "common" fails, as an broken engine, right?)

and by the way, the load manager looks amazing, but can we also load the fuel with the default fuel loader (even if i wouldn't to it, but it would be interesting to know), or with other tools?

thanks for your answers

regards

Emi

Hello Mathijs!

I hope these two questions have not been asked, if so I apologize, but I couldn´t find anything

in this thread!

1. You wrote that the lightning is built in the model, so that it can light up the terrain...Are the strobe

lights also lighting up the ground, when you are landing at night...this is something I always see when

I look out of the window during a night takeoff or landing, but never have seen in any FS-aircraft...here I

just have a video, so you can see what I mean:

2. Do you plan to do the A319/A318 too?

3. If not, is the VC of your Airbus NOT included in the model, so you can merge it with the Project Airbus A318/A319?

Thank you for any answer, I really appreciate your work!

Kind regards,

Sebastian

1FD2 is only shown when both FD's are on, but do consider we simplify the right PFD/ND. This makes it a whopping lot faster and if the captain needs to look at the right displays there is already a huge problem. We REALLY focus on the pilots seat, while it still looks more then okay if you happen to look right. Simulating one seat is hard enough but doing two is one of the biggest mistakes add-on builders make in our not so humble opinion.

Ah, I see. I didn't know this changed, most pictures of airbus cockpits that I have seen show 1FD2. Just proves you learn something new everyday, Thanks!

Now even I am blown away by this. Honestly.

Framerates have always been a major concern in this project. Where it is very hard to optimize scenery, there is a lot to gain in aircraft modeling. Our goal has always been to stay close to the default Airbus of FSX, say not more then 25% below that in FPS. And while we are no adding the final bits to the daily build I was able to see how fast this bus is. The images were made on my own machine that was running loads of other apps at the time. Almost the complete MS office was open, browser windows and I was even playing the last episode of TopGear on the second screen (I have never seen closing applications made FSX seriously faster so I never care). The scenery was our new Kos (love that one) and I was using pretty high settings, real weather yada yada yada.

I attach 4 images and will make very little comments.

• Default Airbus VC, 22,329 polygons, average framerate -> 37 fps
  • Our Airbus VC, 173,313 polygons, average framerate -> 41 fps
  • Default Airbus external, 49.902 polygons, average framerate -> 47 fps
  • Our Airbus external, 102,221 polygons, average framerate -> 37 fps
    Few comments...
    • XML might be a total bitch to debug, it's most certainly not slower then C++ in FSX.
    • Using highly skilled and trained artist pays off big time in aircraft development (all raise your glass and salute Stefan). He did explain what he did right and MS did wrong but after mentioning "cleaner mapping" I sort of lost contact.)
    • We got ourselves and aircraft that will not slow FSX down in complex environments.
    • Adding more polygons to the external model and making it shade itself hurts. We seen this in the F-16 and Catalina. If you disable self shading the default and our bus are much closer in fps.
    • The default Airbus got a very weird cockpit, almost no sight line is correct.
    • Promises a lot for the CRJ as that one is more optimized.
    • This is more then a few comments...

Hi Mathijs.I really can't wait to get my hands on this beauty; I count every single day when it will be release. About the FPS i don't know what to say .BRILLIENT

Mathijs you once told me about the modeling APU sound in the exterior view, can you please give some info, as when you go for a exterior check the first and most loud noise you will here is the APU.I hope it modeled as it adds to realism.

That's it, Aerosoft has given us a perfect AIRBUS. Can't wait to fly it

Thanking You

Sameer R Mankame