Maldives X Crashing

Pies

Hello everyone,

I have been using maldives X fine now for the past few weeks, but all of a sudden I have hit a problem.

Basically, I can select freely any destination within FSX. However, if I select any destination within the Maldives I immediately get a FSX crash. I don't even have to load or go to the destination - Just selecting it within the FSX menu is enough to make it crash.

The only thing I have done since I last used FSX was install the "Earth Simulations" FSX Isles of Scilly Scenery. Now, before we point the blame at this newly installed add-on, consider that fact that I can still use ANY FSX airport in the world, it's just the Maldives X Airprots which are crashing. Also, the FSX error window points to some files installed in my "Temp" folder. However, these files seem to bear no relation whatsoever to FSX.

Any ideas? I'm using the latest version with SP2, Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks alot,

Jacklaugh.gif

Hello Jack,

Sorry but we have to point the finger at what was installed after, as you say this is the only alteration you have made to FSX and the Maldives worked before and now it doesn't. Bit like saying my tyre worked before I stuck a nail in it but the nail still works fine :)

Maybe you should try disabling the new scenery in the scenery library and check the Maldives, also possibly find out what files this software loads or whether it might have made any entries into any default config files etc.

Hi Shaun,

Earth Simulations have pointed me towards the Autogen. I have manually disabled the Autogen and everything works fine, but when re-enabled Maldives X no longer works. Does Maldives X do anything to the FSX Autogen Folders?

Thanks,

Jack

The Maldives don't do something special to the autogen, we just placed it very, very dense there (because of the small islands this was possible with still keeping framerates ok).

We know that the EarthSimulation installer does something awkward to the scenery.cfg and other files, so I'm sure they did something to one of your files that was not ideal.

Reinstall the Maldives if you like, but this won't help. Uninstalling the other scenery will.

Hiya Thore, thanks for your reply.

Is there anything at all unique about the Maldives X product that may be causing the conflict apart from the "Dense placed Autogen"?

The reason I ask is because my Orbx scenery does not seem to mind the ES products, no conflict there.

Is there anything that Maldives X has to have in the scenery.cfg which the ES product may have changed?

Thanks very much for your help, I know this is a bit awkward.

Jack

As Shaun already said, it's like asking if we use special tires, that get harmed by a nail. Just because some addons are not affected doesn't mean this one is the only one - it certainly isn't.

We didn't change the terrain.cfg or default.xml files, it's the other installer that did this. There's no way they point to us to fix it. Just ask them what changes they did to those files, if you give me that information I might be able to help you.

Okay I have some information from ES.

Basically, since there is only one scenery.cfg file, and there are many different types of Autogen to be loaded from it, there is inevitably conflict. It is because the ES installer wants the Maldives to use one type of Autogen, but Maldives X is disagreeing and wants to use a different type.

Regardless of all this however, I have found a simple fix. I keep the Earth Simulations Autogen permenently disabled, until I want to fly in that area.

Jack

That's a good decision. I don't know why they did it (probably because it was the only way to create that kind of cool autogen (have to admit that :D )), but it sure is no good if it affects other sceneries.