Diamond DA20-100 'Katana' 4X Preview

• Aerosoft

For the same reason why developers plug a 2011 aircraft design into a flight sim from 2006: because it works and because people still like and use it.

Mmmmm no.

I think the term plugging (as it not very positive) is not correct if you are able to find new ways of using the same game engine. And that is for sure true in aircraft. I have seen at least 50 fully new features in aircraft (meaning they have not been done before) in the last few weeks. Most of that will be available soon. In scenery things are moving far less fast, if only because the FSX engine has problems in framerates when we use some of the things we know look great. But the FSX engine (dated late 2008 and not 2006) is capable of some great stuff you have not seen before.

The Katana moves the standard for high end small aircraft. If you like depth in your sim this breaks the mold. That's great thing in a small aircraft. In a 747 you will never be asked WHAT kind of oil to use while owning a Katana (real or in the sim) means you got to consider those things. There will never be a 747 sim that punish you if you do not clean the aircraft. While every small aircraft owner knows that it matters. A lot.

For the same reason why developers plug a 2011 aircraft design into a flight sim from 2006: because it works and because people still like and use it.

Do they? How many references to Reality XP in this complete development thread..?

I think this product has done more than enough pandering to the obsolescent.

Do they? How many references to Reality XP in this complete development thread..?

Well, until you implement an updateable and fully functional Garmin GPS (save/load flightplans, custom waypoint database), IT'S NOT! =P

It's as easy as that.

For everyone flying online, the standard one isn't good enough. Even if you can insert those custom waypoints with external programs into a flightplan, the airspace structures change, waypoints change etc.

Well, until you implement an updateable and fully functional Garmin GPS (save/load flightplans, custom waypoint database), IT'S NOT! =P

It's as easy as that.

For everyone flying online, the standard one isn't good enough. Even if you can insert those custom waypoints with external programs into a flightplan, the airspace structures change, waypoints change etc.

True and now my gns 430/530 with airac 1101 is awesome when flying on IVAO. ;)

Think this will say enough. It rocks.

Cool! However, the WARNING text is justified and the NOTE is left aligned... I'd make everything left-aligned. wink.gif I also wonder why NOTE has a : behind it and WARNING doesn't. And the Warning text is positioned a bit lower in the box then the Note text... (I'm a graphic designer and allergic for inconsequences tongue.gif )

Just kidding, of course. (Although... blush.gif ) Can't wait to give this plane a try! I am really looking forward to it more and more! Like the depth in the systems and everything you have to take care off. It's as if you own the REAL plane!!! I really hope it will be available this week...!

True and now my gns 430/530 with airac 1101 is awesome when flying on IVAO. ;)

Absolutely!

I really think you should approach the guys at RealityXP and see if you can make a deal there.

A lot of the GA-planes aren't used online because the 2006 nav-database is simply outdated and useless.

Also the need to load a flightplan via the FSX-menu if you want more than a "Direct to", no custom waypoints (VFR-entrypoints)...

I guess a lot of people would appreciate it if you'd consider this, maybe as an "upgrade" later, so this doesn't delay the initial release.

• Upvote 1

I think the term plugging (as it not very positive) is not correct if you are able to find new ways of using the same game engine. And that is for sure true in aircraft. I have seen at least 50 fully new features in aircraft (meaning they have not been done before) in the last few weeks. Most of that will be available soon. In scenery things are moving far less fast, if only because the FSX engine has problems in framerates when we use some of the things we know look great. But the FSX engine (dated late 2008 and not 2006) is capable of some great stuff you have not seen before.

The Katana moves the standard for high end small aircraft. If you like depth in your sim this breaks the mold. That's great thing in a small aircraft. In a 747 you will never be asked WHAT kind of oil to use while owning a Katana (real or in the sim) means you got to consider those things. There will never be a 747 sim that punish you if you do not clean the aircraft. While every small aircraft owner knows that it matters. A lot.

I'm not sure why you wrote all this: all I was saying was that the RXP GPS programs are still good and that people still like support for that. That didn't have anything to do with the development or quality of your aircraft. ;)

Besides. How can the FSX engine be dated late 2008 when FSX was released in 2006 and the last Service Pack before the closure of the ACES Game Studios was released in 2007?

I've approach Reality-Xp some time ago, here is the link

http://www.simforums.com/forums/reality-xp-3d-mask-addons_topic38350.html

From my point of view is a great peace of software (it doesn't have a true competitor in FSX) and I like the idea to have it with a 3D mask on more products. The only problem is that those guys seem to be layback in terms of flexibility (if is working why to change it!?) and their approach looks a bit pessimistic in terms of business relations with developers. I recon (my speculation) that perhaps is based on previous experiences, but I believe that things are about to change!

I'm looking forward to add the Katana in that thread

Hope Aerosoft will take more advantage of such product on other addons.

I love the Katana even without having it!!!, because is braking my FSX paradigms on so many ways that I will reconsider the way to judge other developers.

Hope you can transfer some of that energy to Reality-Xp guys.

I wonder: will a completely transparent window be available....? More and more devs are adding the option to get rid of (heavy) tints. I know it's not realistic, but I am rather used to seeing things outside in full color... ;) Just curious.

I wonder: will a completely transparent window be available....? More and more devs are adding the option to get rid of (heavy) tints. I know it's not realistic, but I am rather used to seeing things outside in full color... ;) Just curious.

Nothing planned but could be easily done with the alpha channel. On the other hand, I would get scared without the tint because it means, that I have lost the canopy again. ;)

Nothing planned but could be easily done with the alpha channel. On the other hand, I would get scared without the tint because it means, that I have lost the canopy again. ;)

Thanks, that was all I needed to know. I always edit the alpha channel myself if I don't like the tint (and if the devs didn't provide a specific texture for it), so that's no big deal at all. The BIGGEST problem often is to find the file you need to edit... tongue.gif And sometimes devs have a weird way of making the reflections and tint work... But apparently you did it as it should be done. happy.gif

But I will first try the Katana as it is: maybe I will fall in love with the reflections, who knows. But if not, I'll edit the alpha channel (after asking over here which file I have to edit in case it's got some obscure name... smile.gif )

I don't think we'll see the Katana before the (long) weekend, unfortunately... It's thursday and not even an announcement has been made, But well, the weather is perfect over here, so maybe it's a good thing it will take some more time...

I can imagine a company like Aerosoft is in the process of moving mountains to see this release out as soon as is possible. Obviously, there could be a major sales boost if released by this evening, given the holiday weekend nigh on everywhere... if this is in anyway possible for Aerosoft, I am sure they would do it. If anything causes a delay, well that is life, and we get to enjoy the great weather over Easter (at least here in Germany)...

All the best

Andrew

• Upvote 1

I am getting that great Airbus X feeling again...! happy.gif

Er... to make sure what I mean (some people might read other things in these simple words sleep.gif ): I remember checking this forum every minute when the Airbus X was about to be released! I am doing the same right now for the Katana... tongue.gif )