Diamond DA20-100 'Katana' 4X Preview

They look really nice. All of them.

Are these all liverys included in the package? And I'm sure there will be a paintkit, right?

All paintings are included. Paintkit will be very simple because nearly all details are in the model, not on the texture.

I have a question: will take maintenance take place in almost real-time that you have to wait for to complete, as it was the case with the Do-27, or can it be done instantly? Or can we choose between those two options, which would be the perfect solution?

I'm asking, because a much as I love the best possible realism, wasting my limited simming time with waiting for things like that is not part of that desire. ;)

I have a question: will take maintenance take place in almost real-time that you have to wait for to complete, as it was the case with the Do-27, or can it be done instantly? Or can we choose between those two options, which would be the perfect solution?

Maintenance and service will take time! Some actions (like refilling oil) can be done manually. You can switch to Simple Mode (no damages) or Instructor Mode (Damages can be triggered or repaired instantly) if you are in a hurry, but the flighttime will be not be logged and special features are disabled. A game isn't much fun if you know the cheats, so those won't be available in the normale mode. ;)

Maintenance and service will take time! Some actions (like refilling oil) can be done manually. You can switch to Simple Mode (no damages) or Instructor Mode (Damages can be triggered or repaired instantly) if you are in a hurry, but the flighttime will be not be logged and special features are disabled. A game isn't much fun if you know the cheats, so those won't be available in the normale mode. ;)

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the DO-17, so I haven't experienced your maintenance/service routines. Can you clarify the sort of time that's involved? Will we need to leave the aircraft sitting idle while maintenance is performed? If so, can you provide a sense of the time required for one or two typical maintenance/service procedures?

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the DO-17, so I haven't experienced your maintenance/service routines. Can you clarify the sort of time that's involved? Will we need to leave the aircraft sitting idle while maintenance is performed? If so, can you provide a sense of the time required for one or two typical maintenance/service procedures?

Sitting on the rear fuselage while trying to fix a damaged elevator with some tape while the aircraft is travelling through rough air makes me thinking of some black and white movie - but this should never happen in todays maintenance facilities. :D Of course the Katana has to be parked for proper servicing. The service time depends on the wear, damage, kind of system, kind of service action.

If you are flying to the numbers, taxiing carefully on rough terrain and keeping an eye on your indicators, you will only have to change oil and/or filters after many hours of flight and cleaning your aircraft from time to time. An inspection can be done within a minute and ensures everything is ok.

If you forgot the oil cap and tried a combination of take-off run and taxi on a bumpy potato field, you might spend some more time waiting for the repairs of all the systems that were damaged.

Repairs can be interrupted at every time but the system may not be in perfect condition. Replacements take longer and have to be finished, but the result is a completely new component.

Sitting on the rear fuselage while trying to fix a damaged elevator with some tape while the aircraft is travelling through rough air makes me thinking of some black and white movie - but this should never happen in todays maintenance facilities. :D

No, but it'd make for some excitement. Katana wing-walking... hadn't thought of that! ;)

I should clarify my question. What I meant to ask is, how does the down-for-service time play out in FSX? Does the aircraft track the system clock, in a way that allows me to fly other aircraft during the couple of days of repairs (sort of like being able to rent while the Katana is in the shop)? Or just turn off the computer and come back to it a few days later? Or will I need to leave FSX up and running while maintenance takes place, in a way that prevents me from using the program for a period of time? Sorry to be obtuse - it's just that I've never operated an FSX aircraft with real-time maintenance before. Thanks in advance!

The Katana will not be serviced in real time. ;) You select a maintenance option and the Katana has to be loaded and on screen until the action has been (at least partly) completed. It is a matter of minutes, not hours. :-) At least I didn't have an aircraft in that worse condition until today... :blush:

Thanks for the information. Sounds alright then. I suppose I can do some flight planning while it's getting fixed... besides, I intend to keep it in good shape. ;)

The Katana will not be serviced in real time. ;) You select a maintenance option and the Katana has to be loaded and on screen until the action has been (at least partly) completed. It is a matter of minutes, not hours. :-) At least I didn't have an aircraft in that worse condition until today... :blush:

Sounds good. I suppose I can treat myself to a simulated $100 hamburger while the work gets done... :)

Any chance you'll share with us what happened to put you in the shop?

Alan, I don't understand that sentence, sorry. :) What do you mean?

Greetings,

Marcel

Apologies, am slipping too much into American idiom. You had said...

:-) At least I didn't have an aircraft in that worse condition until today...

]/quote]

...and I was wondering what might have happened to your Katana that it required maintenance. No need so share if you don't want to - I just find myself wondering what kind of mechanical problems might be in my Katana-flying future!

Most damages were intended. But I must confess that I forget the cap pretty often after refilling oil. That is not only work for the service but also takes some time for cleaning. ;-)

Most damages were intended. But I must confess that I forget the cap pretty often after refilling oil. That is not only work for the service but also takes some time for cleaning. ;-)

Thanks - will try to remember that when I start breaking... uh, flying... my own aircraft...

VEEEERY NICE PLANE! ;)

I can hardly await it!

I find it so cool that there is the OE-CEM because i fly this aircraft in reallife (flight traning) and its awsome that i will soon be able to fly it in FSX :)

looking forward to the release... :)

martin

Close but not this week.

So next week is possible? Waiting is so difficould if we're seeing all those great looking screenshots.

Could you pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaase release the manual in advance??? PLEEEEAAAASE :grouprespect_s::bow_down2_s:

• Upvote 1

Any idea what the price will be for this piece of art...? (Yes, I'm Dutch.) And I'd also like to see the manual in advance! This might be the plane I've been waiting for for a long time (although I wish it could cruise a bit faster... but my perfect plane doesn't seem to exist in real life...)

EDIT

BTW I might also (finally) purchase the RXP GNS530 specially for this plane... so be gentle on the price if you haven't decided on it yet... :P (Just kidding, of course, about the price: I am sure it will be worth whatever you ask for it.)

It would be great to see a Package that includes the Katana and a version of the RXP GNS530!!!

I agree. A package that includes a GNS530 that only works with the Katana.

I've always wanted to try RXP with a good aircraft, but I don't want to spend 50€ just for a GPS...

• Upvote 2

I agree. A package that includes a GNS530 that only works with the Katana.

I've always wanted to try RXP with a good aircraft, but I don't want to spend 50€ just for a GPS...

I remember such a deal a long time ago: if I remember well the FS9 Dreamfleet Beech A36 came with an RXP GNS which only could be used with that plane. Great deal it was! I wouldn't count on something similar now, though... If you want the RXP GNS you will have to pay for it. I have to say though that the default FSX GPS isn't as bad as a lot of people think...! Most functions you'd normally use are there.

Nevertheless I would like to hear a statement by Marcel

There is no combination package planned. To include a 3d version of the Reality XP GPS was just meant as one of the many 'special features'. ^_^

Not sure why you would hamstring a 2011 flight sim aircraft design with a obsolescent package from 2007 and call that a `special feature`?

If Reality XP wake up from their lethargy and self-imposed stagnation of product development then it might be worth the trouble... otherwise leaving the upgrade path for those that want to combine `cutting edge` with `stone age` is the best way to go!

Personally, I'd want a Reality XP GTN650 or GTN750.

If they work as closely with Garmin as they claim it can't be far away. Can it? :huh:

Not sure why you would hamstring a 2011 flight sim aircraft design with a obsolescent package from 2007 and call that a `special feature`?

For the same reason why developers plug a 2011 aircraft design into a flight sim from 2006: because it works and because people still like and use it.