Diamond DA20-100 'Katana' 4X Preview

loveitloveitloveitloveitloveitloveit... i could continue this for quite a time now^_^

The Katana looks so great, i want it under my cristmas tree:rolleyes:.

One question about the icing:If the canopy is iceed can we open the window then?

And about the icing at all: Is there a possibility to notice icing conditions in the flightsim? Is there an indicator which tells me if i'm in ice conditions?

In the model I'm presently zipping around in, I can open the window when the canopy is iced up. In fact it was the only way I could see what I was crashing into during my first attempt flying with these effects. :D

Flying through cloud in around 8 degrees Centigrade and below with visible moisture can cause icing. In FSX select 'winter wonderland' and fly through the clouds, you're sure to finding icing conditions if you want to run a test!

One question about the icing:If the canopy is iceed can we open the window then?

Thanks for the nice comments. And yes, you can open the window but that will cool the cabin down. That makes it harder to get rid of the ice on the canopy. ;)

Unintentional Flight into Icing Area

1. Leave icing area (through change of

altitude or change of flight direction to

reach area with higher outside air temp.).

2. Continue to move control surfaces to

maintain their moveability.

3. Carburetor Heat ON

4. Increase RPM to avoid icing of propeller

blades (observe maximum RPM)

5. Cabin Heat OPEN

If your static ports are closed due to icing or what ever. Dirt, or a piece of a bird :D you can destroy the VSI glass to use the VSI as an emergency static port. This is of course not as good as a real one, but at least you have some instrument readings you can fly with.

Cheers Joachim

Marcel is working on the principal of a VSI with a calibrated leak connected to the pitot-static system. When the glass is broken and the hands are intact the gauge will work, as Joachim correctly stated, and shows an inverse reading on the dial.

a few questions:

-will be the plane (gauges) compatible with FSUIPC "native" commands like: "fuel pump toggle" ; toggle nav lights,taxi; magneto inc/dec?

-what about the FPS? (Nick C) -> what's your experience?

-the engine damage simulation is how complex?

otherwise the pictures are stunning:wub:

-will be the plane (gauges) compatible with FSUIPC "native" commands like: "fuel pump toggle" ; toggle nav lights,taxi; magneto inc/dec?

Not with the default commands but I will include FSUIPC commands that you can link to your hardware.

-the engine damage simulation is how complex?

The system consists of engine, gear, propeller, fuelpumps, starter, oil and fuel system, carburetors, cooling system. Each component can cause "trouble".

• Upvote 1

-what about the FPS? (Nick C) -> what's your experience?

I'm sorry but I'll never be drawn into a FPS conversation if possible, each system is different and I have my Simulator set up very different to the norm. I'll just say it runs smoothly at the moment on my PC, but the plane is obviously yet to be finished. :)

I am looking forward to exchange my old DA Katana against this beauty. My questions are:

- will it be DX10 compliant?

- will it work together with the Sonic Solutions Rotax soundset?

One off topic question: are there plans for a successor of the Marcels Do-27?

Kind regards,

Michael

I am looking forward to exchange my old DA Katana against this beauty. My questions are:

Kind regards,

Michael

So that we are clear before confusion starts, Sonic Solutions have not done a soundset for a Rotax-engined Diamond DA20-100.

They quite specifically state in their literature, and it is apparent from the video promotion, that their aircraft sounds are for a DA20-C1 Eclipse, which is equipped with an ENTIRELY different engine which bears no similarity WHATSOEVER with a Rotax-engined model Katana, (no matter what the person who would love to sell you a soundset might say...)

On that basis I'd say that the answer to your second question is:

NO.

You will have to wait for the actual Eclipse model which is slated to follow.

For question #1, please see post #64!

Yes.

:lol:

• Upvote 1

To the Katana 4X devs:

I know it's a lot to ask, but is there any chance we'll see a highly realistic aircraft in this release? I know it seems like a stupid thing to ask, but many would consider 'Carenado' to be realistic. I cannot agree though. We need an engine that must be watched, cockpit sharing support, and engine run up checks that serve a purpose!

• Upvote 1

To the Katana 4X devs:

I know it's a lot to ask, but is there any chance we'll see a highly realistic aircraft in this release? I know it seems like a stupid thing to ask, but many would consider 'Carenado' to be realistic. I cannot agree though. We need an engine that must be watched, cockpit sharing support, and engine run up checks that serve a purpose!

Read pages 1 through 14.

It will be DX10 compliant and you should be able to use other soundsets also it will not be very realistic. ;)

A new Dornier would be great but there are no plans for the near future...

Tbut is there any chance we'll see a highly realistic aircraft in this release?

Thats why it takes such a long developing time. ;)

As far as I have tested, cockpitsharing works fine.

Some features for the "realistic operation mode":

You have to drain water. If you forget to open the fuel shut off valve, burning the remaining fuel in the lines may be enough to taxi to the runway and even further. The stall warning may get blocked, so you better check it before flight.

And much more...

Thats why it takes such a long developing time. ;)

As far as I have tested, cockpitsharing works fine.

Some features for the "realistic operation mode":

You have to drain water. If you forget to open the fuel shut off valve, burning the remaining fuel in the lines may be enough to taxi to the runway and even further. The stall warning may get blocked, so you better check it before flight.

And much more...

Thanks Marcel. Finally there will be an exterior preflight in Flight Sim. I can't wait. :P

Alright, to avoid embarrassing myself with so many posts, I've compiled all the rest of my questions/comments into one post. :blush:

First, it's been mentioned several times that the Katana 4X is developed using the FSX SDK. I remember reading about the Airbus X's issues, and frustrated many due to it being developed with the FSX SDK and thus having many "limitations". For example, it uses the default precanned engine start effect, which is very unrealistic. It has many electrical limitations. The nosewheel steering is default and "skids" around turns. These were all FSX/SDK limitations if I'm correct. Does this mean the Katana 4X will have many of FSX's unrealistic default effects as well, including the ugly high RPM engine startup?

Second, I know it's been said that there will not be many liveries in the package. But for the liveries that are included, is there a United States registered one? I haven't seen any screenshots of U.S. registration tail numbers...and the original Katana only contained 1 plain looking livery.

Third, I will ask the developer's least favorite question. Please take it lightly, and know I only ask this because of the outstanding work we're seeing right now in the previews! I know Marcel cannot promise a release before Christmas, but how close is it? Is there a chance before Christmas? If not...how many weeks after Christmas? It HAS to be 99% of the way done already, right? :)

But anyway, this is obviously the best looking, most detailed PROPER GA aircraft that has ever been developed for FS. My credit card is very eager to thank the people building it for their talent and filling that gap. There are other realistic addons out there...but I'd personally rather tour the country side/fly out to get lunch in a Katana than a B-17 :wacko::lol:.

Never before have I seen this quality of work done. Please tell me you'll be able to feed the pesky, needy pilots like me soon! We're at your mercy! :grouprespect_s:

Yes, the FSX SDK has not only limitations but also bugs. Some of them you may find also in the Katana. The high RPM engine startup is one thing I would like to see fixed before release but I can't promise. On the other hand I used only very few default animations. The Katana has 1.3 times the code for animations than all default code in SDK together. Another example: The electrical system is simulated with every circuit breaker, relay, switch etc.

I couldn't find pictures of an interesting US livery for the A1. But there will be US paintings in the C1 version. The Katana is easy to repaint as nearly every detail is an extra object and not part of the base texture. There are so many talented repainters out there and I hope that you want me to procceed with the C1 and the PC-6 as soon as possible. ;)

The Katana will be released before Christmas! But I don't tell the year. :D Everything depends on the Beta phase...

Never before have I seen this quality of work done.

Thanks for the nice words! :blush:

Thanks for the quick and friendly reply as always. I really loved the Do-27 engine start, the way the prop sputtered and everything.

The Katana will be released before Christmas! But I don't tell the year. :D Everything depends on the Beta phase...

I was so excited when I read that first sentence. Then I read the second...that hurts!!!

• Upvote 1

Not quite sure about your issues with the `precanned engine start effect..?` Could you explain more?

The Rotax used in the Katana is one of the few - a very few - aviation engines for which the `immediate` start effect in FS is actually entirely appropriate. I won't detail the start procedure for the engine as it's been covered before, but do you have air time in a real Rotax-engined aircraft to be able to make such assessments? High RPM..? Of course, it's NOT a Continental! :rolleyes:

And of course, nosewhweel steering is utterly irrelevant to a Katana...

I would counsel you to do more research and become less fixated on issues that don't exist, or you think might exist and simply wait for the release. Qualitatively, you buy, you judge. Or others buy, they judge. You clearly intend to be a purchaser, so why not start doing the research now so that your judgment is based on sound knowledge?

Perhaps take a flight in a Rotax-engined Katana in preparation? It's an ideal aircraft for a flying experience (providing the weather isn't too cold, too hot - especially relevant to the 80-horse version - thermal or convection activity isn't too severe and you aren't more than about 100 kilos or wide-shouldered)!

I know the first time I flew a fellow simmer in a DA20 he was stunned at how UNlike the experience was compared to his previous flights in old fossils like Cesspit 152's and Pauper 140's! :lol:

• Upvote 1

Yes, the FSX SDK has not only limitations but also bugs. Some of them you may find also in the Katana. The high RPM engine startup is one thing I would like to see fixed before release but I can't promise. On the other hand I used only very few default animations. The Katana has 1.3 times the code for animations than all default code in SDK together. Another example: The electrical system is simulated with every circuit breaker, relay, switch etc.

I couldn't find pictures of an interesting US livery for the A1. But there will be US paintings in the C1 version. The Katana is easy to repaint as nearly every detail is an extra object and not part of the base texture. There are so many talented repainters out there and I hope that you want me to procceed with the C1 and the PC-6 as soon as possible. ;)

Thanks for the nice words! :blush:

"but i don't tell the year:)))))))))"

just do what you can do, and don't listen the "hurry up guys"

anyway... my last fps question was only intend to compare this plane to (a2a sim planes, or to the catalina, or lotussim albatros) ,not exact fps numbers

how big the texture folder (for one exact repaint version, including the VC textures) ; what texture size are you using (2048x2048 or 1024x1024)

ohh ! one more thing!!!

a good screenshot is sometimes tricky! because a mip-mapped texture sometimes look different in the real (at my monitor)

are you using mip-maps for the gauges tex, or the VC cockpit?

(at the aerosoft discuss glider, i have to convert all of the textures to have crisp pictures at the cockpit even 0.60-50 wide view)

good helath, blessing, and have a good snowball fight out there;) (i think germany at this time pretty whitey)