Diamond DA20-100 'Katana' 4X Preview

after a very interesting questions..

what will the "maintence" modul consist, a bit more in detail?

i mean, if you don't use oil refill option, later the motor can seize up?

or the cicruitbrakers can die sometimes?

what about the structural damages?

the Do-27 is still leader in this area (Accusim can't beat it yet:)

the last question is........

(((((when)))))) or you can just say it how many % of the project is done?

• Upvote 1

You can refill oil - also the Katana doesn't 'burn' it like the Dornier, so this is not very critical. But the engine won't work without oil. ;-)

Yes to the Circuit Breakers. They work realistic which caused me some headache, as I built in a fuel pump with a too high wattage. ;-)

Structural damages are also possible.

Hard to tell the status in percent... ;)

• Upvote 1

Nice, but there is a Katana payware out there already. We need planes that are not out there yet. I'm looking for someone to do a Gulfstream G650. That's a sweet aircraft.

Do you mean the DS Katana? Yes, it was beautiful in Fs9, but you can't compare it to the new one. There are some years between..

I'm quite sure that there will never be a Gulfstream in FS. After all what I have been reading, they have even the shape of the windows trademarked. The developer would most probably get a cease and desist letter pretty soon after release..

Do you mean the DS Katana? Yes, it was beautiful in Fs9, but you can't compare it to the new one. There are some years between..

I'm quite sure that there will never be a Gulfstream in FS. After all what I have been reading, they have even the shape of the windows trademarked. The developer would most probably get a cease and desist letter pretty soon after release..

The Iris Pro series I beleive is the DS, and I have the FSX version. About the Gulfstream, that's too bad. It's such a great looking plane. I was wondering why there was no payware model out there, just some mediocre freeware models. Thanks Klemm.

The Iris Pro series I beleive is the DS, and I have the FSX version. About the Gulfstream, that's too bad. It's such a great looking plane. I was wondering why there was no payware model out there, just some mediocre freeware models. Thanks Klemm.

No sorry, you are wrong. Iris have never released a Katana. They have released a DA-40, but that is not a Katana. They have released a DA-42, but that isn't a Katana either. And it has two engines... :wacko:

Defintive statement follows, before this confusion gets embarassing:

There is NO native Katana for FSX. Let me say that again, in case Nicholas and Klemm are still confused: THERE IS NO NATIVE KATANA FOR FSX!

The aircraft that are available are as follows:

1: The Digital Aviation Katana - an FS2004-era model ported to FSX, with varying degrees of success

2: The WSSimulations FSX native DA20-C1 - the C1 is NOT the Katana, it is the Continental-engined variant known as the Eclipse, Evolution or Falcon, depending on model.

3: The Premier Aircraft Design DA-20 model, marketed through Abacus - again not a true FSX model.

in addition, some loony-toon has done a completely inapproporiate soundset for a Katana, obviously never having heard the difference between a Rotax and a Continental. It is for the Eclipse, and the Eclipse alone.

So, based on your own theory there IS A NEED for a FSX-native Katana, as nobody has done one. :blush:

Can we get on now please? :(

• Upvote 3

again what is the expected release date?

i eagerly await the release as a) it looks awesome, the bee's bollocks and B) i fly it out of cumbernauld

thanks

paul

You won't get an answer. Given the vitriol that always flies about when a developer fails to make a stated date, NOT stating a date but simply saying: `it's ready when it's ready` always seems like a better plan.

After all, it's not like you're going to plan a life-altering operation or family holiday or funeral around its availability, it is just an addon, y'know! :P

• Upvote 2

You can't generalize that. For me creating an add-on is a creative process and I need to feel that it is a good pice of simulation software I can release with good conscience - to give the customer something special. I don't like to see it as a calculated, technical software project. Also this would be more reasonable and often more effective. And please keep in mind that you can't compare our business to the software and gaming industry with large teams and corresponding budget.

The question is, what kind of customer you are and which kind of product you prefere. Something special or an aircraft 'off the rack'. (I am just talking about my style of products - there may be developers who accomplish both.)

So I don't like the sentence with the 'better plan'. It does not fit the situation. Because for the developer it is not just an add-on. It is a piece of his lifetime, engergy and in some cases also health. ;)

Unequivocally, and without reservation I say that if you find `developing` affects your health, find something else to do.

No way is this hobby worth it. Nor any other for that matter.

And in any case, the why's and wherefores of delivery dates have not really ever been an issue for the developer - for whom it's ALWAYS out when it's out, but for the customer, and the crazed, skewed viewpoint of a few who think the world will end if you don't deliver on Friday, as promised, and its a personal slur on their manhood if you don't. It's these vacuous, clueless loonies who need to have their health checked.

Their mental health. :banghead1_s:

• Upvote 5

Unequivocally, and without reservation I say that if you find `developing` affects your health, find something else to do.

If everyone would be so wise, not only the FS-world would be very empty. And for the second statement: I know the status of looking forward for some special software or a purchase. So I can feel with those few... ;)

But all this should be part of a separate topic. Lets concentrate on discussions dealing directly with the DA20. B)

• Upvote 1

If everyone would be so wise, not only the FS-world would be very empty. And for the second statement: I know the status of looking forward for some special software or a purchase. So I can feel with those few... ;)

But all this should be part of a separate topic. Lets concentrate on discussions dealing directly with the DA20. B)

OK;)

So, can you tell us whitch part of you working on right now... (not at this moment, another then nowadays)

what about the components?

1. gauges?

2. external plane model?

3. VC model? textures?

4. external detail textures? (will be there bump maps?)

5. air file

6. (accusim) engine?

(((An Idea!)))

if you can hold out some space upper to the reality xp 530WAAS, then anybody can set there up an reality xp flightlineN ADF control panel, and below the VOR, an ADF gauge

• Upvote 1

I'm working on the implementation of an important module and on the last details of the virtual cockpit and exterior model.

There will be bumpmapping yes, but on the Katana there is not much use for this feature.

We don't call it Accusim, it is just part of the product as it was on the Do 27. '4X' means, that we simulate the real counterpart as detailled as possible. And yes, here is also some work to do. For example the propeller damage. B)

At the moment, there will be no further options on the avionics for the release candidate. But I hope you like the "fast switching" feature for the Reality XP GPS. :-)

I'm working on the implementation of an important module and on the last details of the virtual cockpit and exterior model.

There will be bumpmapping yes, but on the Katana there is not much use for this feature.

We don't call it Accusim, it is just part of the product as it was on the Do 27. '4X' means, that we simulate the real counterpart as detailled as possible. And yes, here is also some work to do. For example the propeller damage. B)

At the moment, there will be no further options on the avionics for the release candidate. But I hope you like the "fast switching" feature for the Reality XP GPS. :-)

Accusim = "accusim"

and yes i understand that you planned the rc without any ADF -> sorry to asking this again (later............)

i really looking forward to this beauty Garmin 530WAAS 3D gauge ;-)

Have a nice weather:)

Continue your work as good as you can Marcel. Don´t be confused or discouraged that you don´t fix a release date. Exculpate about the release date is waste of time.

Some ar waiting for a perfected and real systems simulating product, these don´t want a discussion about an exact date.

In every product- forum users first question is the release date. This is no Carenado or Wilco, Nemeth, .., .., this is another upcoming product :-)

• Upvote 3

I'm sorry, but I have to say something to this idiot.

@Snave

1) Congratulations, you get my first post on here since March.

2) Digital Avation released a payware Katana for FSX... period. I don't care whether it was ported over or not. The simple fact is that a Katana has already been released for FSX and it's very frustrating to customers to have to purchase multiple versions of the same aircraft.

3) You call someone else a loony-toon for doing what I saw as very hard work on a soundpack for the DA-20? Listen moron, maybe you didn't watch the videos, but that was REAL sound from that model of plane, and maybe I'm missing something, but I don't remember seeing the engine in the DA aircraft, did you? I didn't think so. So maybe YOU don't know the difference between quality work, because you're too busy whining like a little girl. IT'S THE EXACT SAME BODY!!! Other than the "katana" tag, THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE! So why not have a good soundpack. I mean, the guy actually went out and recorded the aircraft. Did you ever think, that there wasn't that engine type available??

So why don't you either go produce something on your own, or just shut your dumb ass mouth. I don't give a shit whether it's an eclipse or a katana, as long as it looks good, sounds good and flies well.

That DA 20 Katana model from DA was ok, and the sound was again...ok. But add that soundpack from Sonic Solutions and it made it a hell of a lot better, plus, now I'll be able to save some money when I use it on this "NEW" Katana.

Snave, I've watched you bitch and cry for long enough in this community. I hope like hell that you read this, cry and go somewhere else.

@ Aerosoft and Marcel, you guys are doing a great job, and I hope everything turns out well. I'll be sure to mention it on the show this week about the development. See if I can create a little buzz for ya'll.

ttyl

Shane

• Upvote 7

Hi Archhammer!

First post and a way of language which shows me that I can´t take you serious ;)

But: Snave is right on the issue that the DA FSX Katana is just a quick and dirty port over from FS9 and I care a lot about those things because it won´t work under DX10 preview which is an essential issue for me (runs way smoother than DX9) and it´s not frustrating for me buying the "new" Katana from Marcel (rather having paid for the losy port over which can be done for owners of the FS9 version with some tweaking by themselves).

Well calling someone "dumb ass", "bitch" etc. on a public forum - hmmm... should I comment on that? No I don´t want to comment that one! It just shows me the IQ of a poster! :)

Have a nice evening!

• Upvote 2

So "loony toon" is apparently a more palatable venacular for you?

Here let me remedy it for you little camper:

I'm sorry, but I have to say something to this person of lesser mental capacity

Listen mongoloid, maybe you didn't watch the videos, but that was REAL sound from that model of plane...

So why don't you either go produce something on your own, or just close the useless spit hole in your face. I don't really care whether it's an eclipse or a katana, as long as it looks good, sounds good and flies well.

Snave, I've watched you bellyache and bewail for long enough in this community. I sincerely desire that you read this, cry and go somewhere else.

Also, my first post here only means that I felt compelled to take issue with someone's continued bashing of other hard working individuals in this community. Offering no productive critique or sound advice of any kind should be met with authoritative response. Your choice not to take my only post here seriously only means that you lack focus and fortitude. But possibly that you hold some misguided and misinformed emotional attachment to someone of such low character.

And I'm curious to know how you gained knowledge of the IQ of a poster. Was that a Special Needs class you attended? What were the results of your testing?

I'll continue with the hand holding and forewarn you that those are rhetorical questions.

So, now I have to push this topic back on track, since certain people fail to really grasp textual acceptation.

Again... Aerosoft congratulations, and the model is looking great! Keep up the good work, and we all (well mostly all) look forward to your future releases. Also, my sincere apologies for this hijack, but I could no longer bite my tongue.

• Upvote 4

Archammer,

There are many differences between the Katana and the Eclipse, not the least of which is the completely different engine. I have no inclination to remedy your rant, save to point out for the mirth and merriment of other users that if you can't tell the difference between a Continental and a Rotax running, you have no business being anywhere near a real aircraft, lest you hurt yourself.

But a particular feature I WILL pick up on is the simple fact that the currently-available soundset is NOT for the Katana - the available videos of the real recordings CLEARLY SHOWED an Eclipse. And that you are in breach of forum rules for mentioning it, as well as your other laughable attempts at insult, each one of which digs you deeper into mire of misinformation you spout. Cease, lest you drown, while we giggle...

There are also considerable differences in the structure, configuration and operation of the Katana v. the later Eclipse. I know because I fly them both, for real. A simple yet pertinent example being the use of slotted flaps on the later variant, together with a change in wing sweep angle. Depending on variant, there are also changes in fuel tank size and configuration, aft cockpit windows, location of battery and the accommodation of a 125hp air-cooled slow-turning fuel-injected Continental in place of the 80 or 100hp fast-turning, carb-equipped Rotax.

If you have nothing accurate and nothing intellectual to offer, best to say nothing at all.

• Upvote 3

The last time almost everything was about doing the systems so there was not much to show. That changed after doing some of the interfaces. First let me say that the following text and pictures show work in process and things may still change...

First I wanted to include only a complete and realistic simulation of the Katana without a 'simple mode' which caused a lot of headache in another product. ;-) And in fact, I think some users would be forced to handle the aircraft with care also they would prefer to just 'play it'. But afterwards they would have been happy to have this experience... ;)

Now there are three modes of operation:

Realistic (default): Maloperation may lead to damages and faults. Systems must be handled according to the manuals. Repairs and maintenance will take time.

Simple : You will get a new plane everytime with all systems working on 100%. There will be no wear and no damages, but also many other nice features will be disabled. B) The avionics and the electrical system must still be handled to the manuals also they can not get damaged.

Instructor: You will get a new plane with all systems working on 100%. But this can change via one click. Damages and wear can occur or can be set and will lead to trouble if the 'instructor' wants so. Of course they can be repaired immediately and the aircraft can be configured within a second for different phases of flight.

• Upvote 1

MF_DA20_100701_0001_prev.jpg

What you see is the main screen of the 'instructor station'. The menu on the left lets you switch between the different pages for different systems.

With the buttons right of the menu you can prepare the aircraft for different phases of flight within a second.

Additionally there are different informations about the aircrafts position, weather etc. Some clocks and timers will be added. Perhabs you have an idea about what could be usefull too if there is some area left...

• Upvote 2

MF_DA20_100701_0002_prev.jpg

A second screen: The electrical system. The schematic circuit diagram is clickable and you can directly see the result of your action. For example the generator is not only dependent of one switch: You need power on the bus bar, there are circuit breakers - and below a certain RPM it will still not be productive. ;) Here it is easy to see or to create a problem. In the cockpit it is not so obvious...

• Upvote 2