Needing Some Very Basic Help

MrCaptED

Hello to all....

I am new to this forum.. but I need help I can not find. This has to do with FS-9 & CCS2004...

Nothing is stated about the Weather settings inside FS-9 when using CCS-2004..

Q.1) What kind of settings inside FS-9 (custom Weather Settings) when in use with

CCS2004 and Thermal Soaring..???

Q.2) Before doing the Ridge Topo Scan... am I suppose to have wind set blowing on the ridge??

If Wind settings are needed then give me a idea about the wind speed and Wind Alt..

If it requires more than one layer of Wind..??

Q.3) I have found the Mifflin, PA. Mesh and Landclass.. But no where can I find instructions of where in FS-9 this goes

and how to load it...??

=======================================================================================

Now I guess that this could also apply to FSX & CumulusX..

Now any comments are welcome... as I view them as Hints... If you have a direct answer to any of the above

please detail as best that you have time to do....

============================================================================

Now here is where I am with the Computer....

Windows 7... FS-9 in its own folder C:/FS9 (getting away from the UAC) <<been there and it is nasty

FS-9 Windowed mode Frames Rates set at 59 fps <<Monitor Refresh Rate

When I start CCS2004.exe I am getting the Green single line stating that CCS2004 has loaded...

===========================================================================

I do have alot more questions that get alot deeper...

but will save for later....

CAI gauges... using my own created "GPS-NAV.dat"

Thanks in advance for Your Time and Response..

Ed

Hello Ed, and SORRY for the late reply. I've been busy with real life and other things, and have only been frequenting this forum almost every other day maybe lately. I'll be back tomarrow for some of the info that you need. In the meantime, download the Slope Data Base Tool from Peter's site HERE. It will get you slope files a lot faster than the CCS2004 program can produce them for itself.

Talk more tomarrow,

Scott

Thanks for a reply Scott...

Now I did finally get the Slope Tool installed ... (even the issues with CumulusX and the Win7 Registry resolved)

Now when I start the Slope Tool all I get is a black/blue screen (not colored as example shows)..

I know it is expecting to see something but I do not understand what...

Am I suppose to be going to create some MESH files ??? If so that is to much at this time...

As you can see from my other questions .... I have found the Mifflin, PA Mesh & Landclass from "www.rotted.com"

It is assuming I know where to put the mesh and the landclass ... (both are .bgl) and how to activate it...

and I have not found any instructions on this subject... Unable at this time...

I will wait for the rest of your Instructions/Hints....

Again Thanks

Ed

Hello Ed, here are some answers to your latest questions, then tomarrow morning I should have more.

Now when I start the Slope Tool all I get is a black/blue screen (not colored as example shows)..

I know it is expecting to see something but I do not understand what...

Am I suppose to be going to create some MESH files ??? If so that is to much at this time...

You may have not given the tool "Run as administrator" rights, or that is what it did to me. You may have also entered the coordinates wrong, not sure. Mesh files have nothing to do with the way the tool works (but it did when CCS2004 created the slope files). But you will need to have some fair to good terrain mesh installed so you can run the ridges right.

As you can see from my other questions .... I have found the Mifflin, PA Mesh & Landclass from "www.rotted.com"

It is assuming I know where to put the mesh and the landclass ... (both are .bgl) and how to activate it...

and I have not found any instructions on this subject... Unable at this time...

They possibly go into your Addon Scenery/scenery folder. Then you would not have to activate them because that folder's scenery & texture folders should already be activated by default (or it has always been that case for me). Me personally, I would probably make a new folder within the Addon Scenery folder called something like "MifflinPAMeshLandclass" with it's own scenery & texture folders, then add the BGL's to the scenery folder. I would then have to activate it. I do this, because you may get an update for that region and want to use it. So then all you would have to do is deactivate the "MifflinPAMeshLandclass" folder, rather than trying to hunt for the right files to get rid of within the Addon Scenery/scenery folder, which by that time may be filled with many other files if you download and install much.

Activating a folder is done from inside the sim. BUT, with Windows 7, you'll need to hunt those instructions down over the internet. I still don't totally have it figured out, but the step by step instructions DO work for me, I just haven't saved them to my computer yet.

Hopefully tomarrow morning I can get to your initial questions, THANKS for your patience.

Scott

Hi Ed,

the black/blue screen means that at the coordinates given in the numeric boxes (0,0 by default), there is no slope data in the data base. Move to a place where you are sure that you have the slope data in the database. If there is still no picture shown, the path to the database might be erroneous.

The fact that you can start the tool means that you have successfully installed the registry data. So look into that reg-file. It tells the path to you slope data base.

The .dat-files which are distributed by AVSIM or found at other places are usually big chunks of contiguous slope data, which have to be portioned in 0.25°x0.25° tiles before CCS2004 can use it. This is done by the slopedatabase tool by importing those files. This can be done by CCS2004, too,please follow its documentation for that process.

For areas where no ready-made .dat-files exist you can create them on you own by dowloading DEM-data from the sources indicated in the readme and import them with the slope database tool. It seems a tricky, but it works easily by exactly following the instructions on the indicated web-sites. Once you got it, it is totaly straightforward and you can make slope data within minutes for every place all over the world. Scott can tell you, too.

best regards,

Peter

Thanks Peter & Scott...

Thanks to both of You for your replies...

Peter thanks for "CumulusX" and "WinchX" ... I do have both working in FSX

and I know you have been helping people with Eric's "CCS-2004"...

and I thank you for your effort...

Scott, I will go back in and put the Mifflin SLO files into the folder as you suggested..

and see if I have any luck getting FS9 and Win7 to Play with each other...

I have the same problem with FSX and FS-9 and it has to do with the setting in Custom

Weather inside the sim...

I know things like Seasons, Temp, Air Density, etc. effect both Thermal/Ridge Soaring...

------------------------------------

Yes you were correct I did not change anything in the "Slope Data Base Tool"

After reading the Readme.txt I was thinking I am getting in over my head...

------------------------------------

Considering FS-9 & CCS2004... (I am guessing the same for FSX & CumulusX)

Is there no default mesh..?? Does ever Ridge that you are going to soar require a made up Mesh..??

either downloaded or made up by Me... If So does CumulusX 1.6.1a require the same..??

========================================

Again Thanks to the Two of You.... and anyone that wants to add to this....

Ed

Hello again Ed, it seems as though you have been looking through the documentation ok, as I think all you need now is examples of flights and such to familiarize yourself with the software.

Nothing is stated about the Weather settings inside FS-9 when using CCS-2004..

Q.1) What kind of settings inside FS-9 (custom Weather Settings) when in use with

CCS2004 and Thermal Soaring..???

I have a lot going on this morning to get you a good explaination of weather settings to use, but for now you can download the AlbertLeaMN FunFly May-31-2008 zip file for an example found at THIS address, I don't think there were too many mistakes made. Just use the practice part of the file.

Q.2) Before doing the Ridge Topo Scan... am I suppose to have wind set blowing on the ridge??

If Wind settings are needed then give me a idea about the wind speed and Wind Alt..

If it requires more than one layer of Wind..??

I believe you should probably set wind at zero, but I would need to read the documentation & search the old forum a little better.

Q.3) I have found the Mifflin, PA. Mesh and Landclass.. But no where can I find instructions of where in FS-9 this goes

and how to load it...??

That I believe was explained already.

THANKS for your interest in CCS2004, and YES, feel free asking questions here. Answers will possibly be slow, but will come as soon and as well as knowledge and documentation is allowed.

Scott

Hi Scott...

Thanks for the Reply... I have downloaded and installed the "Albert Lea Mun. Fun Fly"...

I just though Arkanas was Flat... Minnesota really is ...hehehe

Now I did have to read up on the GPS-NAV (Caiset) gauge and finally got it to show Navagate to: Algona Mun. Airport..

53 miles ....

Not really sure what was suppose to happen...

Started CCS2004 Control Paned and the figures did not match the spec's inside the "Script.dat"...

I did SLEW to 5,000 ft. and followed the Arrow in the Gauge... While this is the first time to get away from a Airport in a Glider...

I very seldom found any lift ... best I found was from 2000 ft up to 4100 ft.. that is the best I got...

Now I make it to within 9.4 miles to Algona... and got so low I landed...

Slewed this time to 2000 ft.. and made it the the runway....

Now the GPS-NAV gauge did show I arrived... Was I suppose to land at all the airports that are listed in the "GPS-NAV.dat"

Now I have a couple questions.. about the files...

What is the "ccs_AlbertLeaMNb4.bgl" ??? I guess it is related to CCS2004...

"script.dat" inside the CCS2004 folder... I assume to be a CCS Greated Script file... am I suppose to turn it on somehow...

Thanks

Ed

Hello Scott & Peter...

First ... Concerning my comments on CCS-2004 and the Script file... Turns out I had failed to Tick the "Scripted"

in the CCS2004 Control Panel...

Now for others that are reading along...

Keep both FS9 and CCS2004 control panel small enough to see each other....

the reason is I had CCS2004 fail to Respond the first time...

Second time worked like a charm....

Still got to go Flying and see what it acts like....

============================================================

Had a Major break thru on the adding mesh etc in Win7 will post in another message...

Ed

For all those that wondered why I would ask for a Hint... You will see where Scott's hint lead me to this discovery...

First I use Windows 7 64 bit... I installed FS2004 outside of the UAC (User Account Control) C:\FS-9...

Second You have read that I downloaded Mifflin, PA Mesh & Landclass files from www.rotted.com << Thanks Kris

Here is how I got it to install the files....

Run FS9 goto "Settings", "Scenery Library" Put a Check in the Empty CD-ROM scenery cache on exit....

Shutdown FS9.....

Now in the C:\FS-9\Addon Scenery\ folder I created the folder that Scott had recommended.... \MifflinMeshLandClass\

and sub folders of Scenery & Textures...

Now Copy both of the .BGL files into the Scenery Subfolder.....

Now here is real trick to it .... in the C:\FS-9 folder find the "fs9.exe" right click and pick Properties....

Now at the Compatibility Tab... down at the bottom put a check in the box that says "Run as Administrator"

Now start FS-9 and you will Click OK to start the sim....

Goto Settings/ Scenery Library / Now remove the check in the empty CD Rom Cache...

Now click on Add Area... and then pick Addon Scenery ..... then you will see the MifflinMeshLandclass

Now once you have clicked on the buttons as needed ... You will see that MifflinMeshLanclass has a red check to the left and its Priority

is set to a #1....

Now Shut down and restart FS9 allowing it to rebuild the Scenery data base...

Ok you can go Flying to check it out ...

Once you have it all as you want ... besure to Untick the Run as Admin.

Hope this makes Sense...

Ed

Hi to All....

I have used for the first time the "Slope Base Tool" as mentioned above...

The Readme did suggest going to AVSIM and downloading CCS Terrian .Dat files....

I did download one "ccs_new_zealand_1.zip" <Thanks for uploading it Scott

Now after Unzipping, found it to have several .dat files ....

Now I started the Slope Base Tool... and Imported the "kaikohe_nz.dat" (first in the list)..

OK... Nothing Changed it stayed on 0.0 & 0.0 I clicked around on the North South buttons..

Screen stayed a black/dark blue... In other works no indication that anything happened....

Now I went into the CCS2004 Slope Data folder and there they were new SLO files (alot of them)

They are in the "S35.25E173.00.slo" to "S36.00E175.00.slo" range .... I have not used this function of CCS2004 to know it the files

are correct or not...

It is not like I did any thing in the Slope Tool, other than click on Import and click on DAT files...

Thanks to all

Ed

Sorry Ed for not answering right of way, I felt like i could try and squeeze it in yesterday again, but still just ended up being able only to set at the computer screen for only 1 minute segments (Very testing on my patience, VERY! GRRrrrrrrrr!). So here I go, hopefully I wont have to get away from this soon.

I don't know whereto start, for hopefully I have followed this thread ok. I don't have the slope data base tool installed on this somewhat new hard drive yet, as I've got about 10,935 individual .slo files already. Anyway, while in the tool, change the 0,0 coordinates to something like South 35.5 and east 174 to hopefully find what you are looking for, but if you already see the slo files installed, I believe they have been installed already. I will re install the tool onto this hard drive and tinker with it a while and give you some feedback as to what may or may not be the problem. I haven't been feeling very well lately, so just give me a few to get to the answer.

Now, I think I remember you mentioning that you could only get lift till about 4100ft, so I dug up that funfly and flew in it both in FS2004 and FSX. Mind you, I was only in it for a few minutes at a time. I was getting lift up to at least 5300ft in FS2004 and I was getting lift up to 5500ft in FSX. Then as far as your trying to run a task, PLEASE goto the main SOAR site, Main Menu under Pilot Corner / Info & Training / FS9 Flight Training and download the 2004 trainer package. This is very outdated, so maybe all you would have to do is read it to understan how the GPS part of the caiset functions during a task, so that you do not always start at the first entry (or however it works).

I'll be back with more if I get to feeling better soon. But PLEASE keep asking, and MANY Thanks for your patience in this mater.

Scott

Thanks Scott for Replying ....

Sorry to hear about the sickness...

I am Currently wading thru a FS9 Training Doc... Picked up from UKVGA...

On my comments about only finding lift up to 4100ft... Keep in mind I was Soaring straight to the Next turn point...

and bumped into the lift... Now I did the Circling in the Thermal ... as a Beginner I was all over the place....

Going around in a circle several times causes me to lose my way.... hehehe

Thanks again

Ed