Santorini X - Installer DOES NOT harm default.xml

Hello everybody, hello Matthew! :)

First let me say Thank You for the development of Santorini X, your latest beautiful scenery. Really a marvellous piece of software. :)

edit: Reason for nullifying: See below! ;)

But there is a grave bug in the installer routine:

Because of the non-standard autogen, the installer

• backups the default.xml-File in the [FSX]\Autogen-Folder,
  • creates a new default.xml with added entries for special Santorini-X-autogen.

Now, if you have other 3rd-party-addons installed, that use non-standard-autogen, and compare the filesize of your backupped default.xml with the filesize of the new one, you will see, that the new one is drastically smaller!! (In my case, the size was reduced from ~13037 KB to 5910KB!

If you search through the freshly created default.xml with a text editor, you see, that all 3rd-party-addon-entries (including aerosoft-addons) are deleted from the default.xml destroying all non-standard autogen objects in all addons, that use such entries (i.e. VFR Germany X, all orbx-products, all earthsimulations-products and so on.)

I strongly recommend to release an immediate hotfix as soon as possible to avoid heavy trouble.

Here's a workaround as first aid:

• Install "Santorini X" on your system
    • Navigate to [FSX]/Autogen/-Folder
    • Open default.xml with notepad or any texteditor
    • Search for the string "<!-- Santorini X Beginn -->"
    • Copy all following text to clipboard until "<!-- Santorini X Ende -->" (134 lines)
    • Close default.xml and rename it to default.xml.OFF or anything unproblematic (or delete it right away.)
    • Open default_XML_before_Santorini X_was_install.bak with notepad or any texteditor
    • Search for the string "<CODE>B</CODE>"
    • Paste clipboard content into the line after that line
    • The beginning of the manipulated part should look like this:

<CODE>B</CODE>

<!-- Santorini X Beginn -->

<CLASS>

<NAME>SNvillage10x5</NAME>

• The end of the manipulated part should look like this:

</LIBRARYOBJECT>

</CLASS>

<!-- Santorini X Ende -->

<CLASS>

• Save default_XML_before_Santorini X_was_install.bak as default.xml

Glad, if I could help! ;)

Greetings,

Gerd

edit: Reason for nullifying: See below! ;)

• Upvote 1

Thank's Gerd,

I will try your "quick fix" this evening. I also think there is a problem with the installation and I'm not sure, if the installer really adds his additional lines to the existing or if he simply places a new "empty" one with the new lines in the autogen folder. But this seems the problem here...

So Matt has to check in here...

Not true, Etienne.

You can always write a small executable (that makes a backup of the default.xml - already implemented -, then opens the original, goes to the specific part of the file (simple searchstring-function), adds the new lines, adds the remaining old lines and closes the file) and integrate it into the installer. Can be done in 20 minutes max. (the writing of the executable that is.) :) In principle, it's the same as adding an entry to the scenery.cfg automatically via installer.

Not true, Etienne.

You can always write a small executable (that makes a backup of the default.xml - already implemented -, then opens the original, goes to the specific part of the file (simple searchstring-function), adds the new lines, adds the remaining old lines and closes the file) and integrate it into the installer. Can be done in 20 minutes max. (the writing of the executable that is.) smile.gif In principle, it's the same as adding an entry to the scenery.cfg automatically via installer.

Hmmm, 'Can be done in 20 minutes max', wish u were right, but the truth is that the encoding format of that file changed from SP1 to SP2, so the little parser has to be very carefull about what he has to do.

My experience is that fly tampa grenadine, france vfr bretagne fsx, germany south fsx, orbx products, utx products and madeira screw each other nicely on that one (mainly because of the problem of the encoding) so there is no surprise that this one is not different.

The truth is that each time someone develops a beskope autogen I expect a f.ckup and ends up doing what you are describing.

Notice that the vegetable lookup file is very often modified as well and is much harder to fix (developper have to agree not to overlap),

To finish on a positive note, all those addon developpers tend to be coorperative and with a bit of patience a fix popups.

Etienne

but the truth is that the encoding format of that file changed from SP1 to SP2

Ah ok, didn't know about that one. Can you provide me a link for that issue?

Then make that 25 minutes (add IF/ELSE-check for FSX-version to the executable ;))

Not saying this is the answer, but the smaller filesize can also be caused by the format in which the file was saved: UTF-8 vs UTF-16 or something similar IIRC. There was another product (I think it was in FS9) that did this. Can't remember if it was an Aerosoft-product or one by Cloud9.

Not saying this is the answer, but the smaller filesize can also be caused by the format in which the file was saved: UTF-8 vs UTF-16 or something similar IIRC. There was another product (I think it was in FS9) that did this. Can't remember if it was an Aerosoft-product or one by Cloud9.

This is indeed part of the issue. Etien

Guys, you are great!! :D

That really solves the mystery. Completely as it seems! I don't understand it, but now all the entries, I was missing, are where they should be.

Maybe I openened the wrong one (default.bak instead of default.xml - it's my clean-install-backup) or something simimal...

Whatever... Thanks for helping! :) :)