A Question For The Experts

Dotsalgon

Hello again,

A have a question for ILS Landings. I have never had any aviation lessons so I hope someone can explain to me some things.

I have learned from "how to" websites about the operation of the ILS. Let me see if I got it right.

I am supposed to land at an airport with an ILS Runway. For example LGRP (Rhodes Diagoras International Airport). The ILS Runway is Rwy25. So while approaching I have to set the Course indicator on 248 degrees and the NAV1 on the ILS frequency 110.30. Right?

So, after the ATC gives me the final directions with a 30 degree angle of the path I just press the Approach button on the autopilot, when I am close enough and the airplane will turn and align with the runway. Right?

Ok. Question No1: Why does the altitude hold selector turns off?

No2: Does the airplane descents by itself?

No3: Does it matter that I turn it on again and descent with its help?

No4: I have noticed that in some airports the ILS is not aligning the aircraft with the Runway. Am I doing something wrong or missing something? (You can try it on the ILS of LGRP, it will not get you aligned with the runway)

No5: How the heck AI does so perfect aligned landings in the airports that the ILS is not aligned??

I hope to get some answers and solutions cause this is a little bit confusing.

(FS9 user)

Thanks in advance

Dot.

Hello again,

A have a question for ILS Landings. I have never had any aviation lessons so I hope someone can explain to me some things.

I have learned from "how to" websites about the operation of the ILS. Let me see if I got it right.

I am supposed to land at an airport with an ILS Runway. For example LGRP (Rhodes Diagoras International Airport). The ILS Runway is Rwy25. So while approaching I have to set the Course indicator on 248 degrees and the NAV1 on the ILS frequency 110.30. Right?

Yes

So, after the ATC gives me the final directions with a 30 degree angle of the path I just press the Approach button on the autopilot, when I am close enough and the airplane will turn and align with the runway. Right?

Yes

Ok. Question No1: Why does the altitude hold selector turns off?

No2: Does the airplane descents by itself?

It turns off, so the airplane can decent by itself.

No3: Does it matter that I turn it on again and descent with its help?

I don't think so.

No4: I have noticed that in some airports the ILS is not aligning the aircraft with the Runway. Am I doing something wrong or missing something? (You can try it on the ILS of LGRP, it will not get you aligned with the runway)

No5: How the heck AI does so perfect aligned landings in the airports that the ILS is not aligned??

Hmm... I've sometimes the same problem, but I don't know how to fix it or what we are doing wrong.

I hope I could help a little bit and maybe there is someone who can explain to us, why we get this problem with ILS. By the way, I use FSX

Chris

Haha! Thnx for the reply!

So I am doing everything correct!! So why then on some airports the freaking ILS is not aligned with the runway?????

And how can this be fixed??

Dot.

P.S. BtW.. When I am on an ILS Landing the glideslope never works :S and still don't know what does the ADF do :S

The ILS is not required to land you in a straight line on a runway, it is designed as an APPROACH aid, and depending on local circumstances there may what is called an Offset ILS, which means you cannot use the aid all the way to the ground.

Note that in the real world pilots only rarely make full instrument landings, where the plane is `autopiloted` all the way to the threshold and the runway, instead most pilots disengage the autopilot several hundred feet from the landing elevation, and hand-fly the rest of the approach from there - obviously this works in conjunction with an offset ILS as you can make final course corrections while hand flying.

There are many reasons why you might find an offset ILS but the commonest are:

1: Terrain or some other obstruction on the extended centreline of the runway (Tall buildings, chimneys, antenna towers etc etc.)

2: The ILS may be positioned on the airfield but in a position that does not permit a straight-in approach.

And to qualify that last comment: A `straight-in` approach is ANY where the LDA (Localizer Directional Aid, of which an ILS is one) where the variation between approach and runway alignment is within 30° or less. So there is actually no requirement for the ILS to align, it's just that in most cases they do. As you'd be hand flying the last part of the approach, it wouldn't normally be a problem.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 2

. As you'd be hand flying the last part of the approach, it wouldn't normally be a problem.

Hope this helps.

What if You/We are trying to do a CATIII b/c Full Autoland? Woudnt this be impossible in this case?

What if You/We are trying to do a CATIII b/c Full Autoland? Woudnt this be impossible in this case?

Yes, it would be impossible. You can't do a CATIII approach at all airports. Only at airports equipped with a CATIII ILS.

Thanks Snave!

That did help! I didn't know that detail, it wasn't mentioned in any of the "how to.." websites! :)

CATIII b/c ?? That's Greek to me... (Wait a minute I am Greek!! LOL)

Here are 2 very good tutorials that i just learnt from:

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ils.htm

http://www.farmboyzi...S_KSTS_tut.html

before i read this i did NOT know hot to use a ILS AT ALL!!! Now however i can land a Cessna using ILS pretty well..

Yeap! These were the sites I was refering to! ;)

In which they do not mencion what Snave said! :P