Iceland Ash

Gaura Mohana

Well, they didn´t. The eruption lasted from 1821-1823 so I don´t think air traffic was effected ;).

Danish airspace remains closed until 0001Z 17APR. It may also be closed tomorrow.

Best regards

Peter Lund

FSAshesX :lol:

I think its certainly a feature that the Aerosoft Flight Sim 2012 simulates these Phenomens...!?

Same with hail, desert storms, raining cats and dogs, effects of stock exchange on the fuel price and to have little nice daisys everywhere in spring time ^_^

flightradar24.com shows a very intersting picture:

post-15437-1271407025,66_thumb.jpg

Incidentally we already have huge volcano ash clouds in our lates addon Dutch Harbor, but of course not as big as the one that we see in Iceland. Those huge fx cannot be created in FSX for the simple reason that it brings FSX to its knees, literally. I tried it and FSX either crashed or gave rather weird graphical errors because you would need thousands, even millions of particles if it should look realistic. I asked FSX if it might be able to handle millions of particles and it just said: "The application is not responding anymore". :ph34r:

They closed of Amsterdam Schiphol Airport too, for all I know. It's unbelievably silent above my house... Normally you'd hear one plane over the other, now it's nothing. It's weird if you are accustomed to the thundering of jet engines. They should be reopening the airport at 20:00 today, however...

The old, "Silence is deafening" saying springs to mind here.

• Upvote 2

I am so happy that my Plane from EDDL to LOWW back home was on schedule yesterday. My Colleague who has planned the flight for today must now take a 11hour train ride home overnight because Germany and Asutria are closing the Airspace.

so it seems that I can consider myself a lucky person.

how long did they ground all flights for then?

btw i too think that the world will not end in 2012

flights to europe are stop becouse the airports are closed but we still fly to Boston and New york and there was a flight today to Glasgow

The old, "Silence is deafening" saying springs to mind here.

Situated under the flightpath for Southampton EGHI I have never heard it so quiet. Not even the Aurigny Trislanders are operating - which is ironic given that they probably have Islanders and Trislanders around the world operating in MUCH harsher climates than the ash-strewn upper atmosphere, which is so far beyond the reach of the B-N's anyway that they may as well be cars! But we're not even getting any GA or BizAv, which is odd.

What I have found remarkable though, is a whole bunch of our neighbours actually complaining about the absence of overflights..! Total Aviation Persons? In my street? Who'd have thought! Does it never occur to protesters about airport expansions that some people other than the airport owners might WANT more aircraft flying over their houses..?

We want planes! We want planes! We want planes! :lol:

I think of this type of thing as a premonition of what might happen to us in the States if the Yellowstone Super-volcano ever decides to ruin everyone's..... life.

Is GA also out in the UK? I would think that flying at low altitudes would not be at risk.

Though I would check the airfilter before every flight!

No, but NATS has closed ALL restricted airspace UFN. So even GA can't operate into major hubs.

..which is a shame as I have a mind picture of a lonely Cessna cruising up to gate, and being surrounded by baggage carts, refuelling trucks and catering lorries... this could have been the greatest opportunity for GA in Europe, ever! :lol:

What I have found remarkable though, is a whole bunch of our neighbours actually complaining about the absence of overflights..! Total Aviation Persons? In my street? Who'd have thought! Does it never occur to protesters about airport expansions that some people other than the airport owners might WANT more aircraft flying over their houses..?

We want planes! We want planes! We want planes! :lol:

thats a thing I want here, more planes but those neighbors of yours are awesome

Is GA also out in the UK? I would think that flying at low altitudes would not be at risk.

Though I would check the airfilter before every flight!

At least here in Finland the latest NOTAM said that the restrictions are applying on all altitudes, for all flights and planes. With one exception: Airplanes with piston engines under VFR. Maybe the airlines should consider to reactivate some DC-3's, Super Connys and Ju-52's.. :D

At least here in Finland the latest NOTAM said that the restrictions are applying on all altitudes, for all flights and planes. With one exception: Airplanes with piston engines under VFR. Maybe the airlines should consider to reactivate some DC-3's, Super Connys and Ju-52's.. :D

Well, there must have been a lot of ash and dust in the atmosphere in 1944, and that didn't seem to bother flights over Europe any... :rolleyes: But I could see Squeezyjet or RunonAir trying to shoehorn 227 people into a DC-3... :lol:

I was surprised today when I quickly looked at 'the casper live tracking' site. http://casper.frontier.nl/

What I saw was a Ryanair 737-800 flying north-east in de Dublin area. But suddenly it disappeared from the radar, probably because it left the map-coverage I think.

Strange that there still was a bit of activity although the airpace being closed... Have no idea what 'HE' was doing there :P

It seems to get worse and worse..... is there any chance it may stop air traffic for a couple of months?

well if the wind direction changes like it normally does and is supposed to do in the next few days it will go over my city most likely and then all the way to Canada and some part of the US dunno but it might hit O'hare intl

concering the ryanair flight on your radar, i just read, that lufthansa took some of their big birds to fly on 3000m (more or less 10.000Ft) under vfr rules through germany to get them to other cities... this flights had been without passangers of course...

concering our situation. the last news i read said, that the volcano increased its action tonight. the amount of coming ash depends on the water, that surrounds the volcanco... and experts try to get a better view on it these days... anyway, right now they think of a closure for the next 2 to maybe 5 days...

Thats good.

Just a hypothetical; but if Air traffic was grounded for say 2 weeks, coudnt the airlines operate flights WITH PASSENGERS under 10k feet and VFR?

It would be very difficult for them to do so as they would need to use much more fuel at that altitude so that would throw of all takeof weights, aircraft ranges etc. Having many more aircraft than normal in such a restricted airspace would also be unnacceptable from a safety aspect. Not to mention noise pollution controls in many areas.

Well, there must have been a lot of ash and dust in the atmosphere in 1944, and that didn't seem to bother flights over Europe any... :rolleyes: But I could see Squeezyjet or RunonAir trying to shoehorn 227 people into a DC-3... :lol:

Lol I just got a mental picture of these old "how many people can you cram into a mini?" competitions but with a DC3 instead.

I suppose they could use these crowd pushers that the Tokyo subway uses to get the passengers in :lol:

Just had a thought. Are all the ultra realism junkies who take off from where they left the plane and fly realistic weather and conditions now grounded in FS? :unsure:

• Upvote 1