SOARRanch FunFly/Contest - FS2004/FSX

sf4JC

Come join the FunFly/Contest at the SOAR Ranch April 23rd, 24th, & 25th. You will even be able to fly along side your FS2004 buddies. More details later. Meanwhile, download the SOAR Ranch from the SOAR Gliderports section at the main SOAR site. Also, get yourself some high resolution terrain mesh for the area too, to be able to enjoy the weekend to the fullest. You can fly the SOAR Ranch area in multiplayer at FSHostClient address - - sf4jc.hopto.org on port #23459 on server #3 & then TeamSpeak3 at sf4jc.hopto.org:9989. To get the correct local time for that area, goto

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=232 .

Forgot to mention, the contest will be for offline as well, for those that would like to participate and cannot run online.

Scott

I cant wait.

Looking forward to you sending on more of the details and instructions etc. It would be appreciated if you send some instructions with a pretty basic level of assumed knowledge.

Thanks.

SORRY for the delay, real life has just got the best of me lately. I will have a download available sometime around 7:00pm Mountain time or earlier. Decided at this point there were too many questions up in the air for myself, that the ONLINE Contest may not happen, but you can still do an OFFLINE Race and you can take your best scores and submit them to this address, but make sure you start the messege with "SOAR...". I was unable to at this time to get a flight plan available for those using instruments other than the CAISET, but it will be implemented in the future, I promise, if I know what I am doing with it anyways.

I will need from you...

1) an .igc file of the flight. You can make your flight into an .igc file by using the fszwever view tool.

2) THAT'S ALL for now, you can give me as many as you would like, but I will only post a few.

For those of you that have not got the CAISET running, come join us for the weekend anyways. Enjoy your flights!

Scott

Thanks Daniel, is was a great leisurely flight! Here are a few screenshots I took of the weekend.

Saturday01.jpg

This was my Saturday late afternoon flight, going back across the lake (AGAIN!?!) to get the next waypoint.

Saturday02.jpg

After struggling and getting very disoriented and confused, I was finally able to get some altitude to start my way home.

Saturday03.jpg

I was able to get back home, but it took me what seemed like 2 hours to get there. Woooowee, my nerves were a wreck.

SUNDAY Flight was a lot better, but made a few mistakes along the way. Daniel and I had a leisurely flight around the lake.

I got to try a different aircraft that I had installed, but never really took a flight in it until now, it was enjoyable.

Sunday01.jpg

Sunday02.jpg

Sunday03.jpg

Sunday04.jpg

If anyone is still interested in the Offline contest, please turn in your IGC file before the middle of next week. I believe I made a flight of about 51 minutes with the Duo Discus X, so that would be the time to beat. I don't think it will be too hard to beat by you more experienced pilots. The key is, to keep your altitude high before the last two or three waypoints.

Scott

I am trying to get up and running with this contest albeit a bit late however apart from the Task 1 contest by Peter Lurkens which was made into a mission by b21. I feel pretty dumb asking but I would appreciate if someone could let me know the steps to load these races when they have not been made into a mission as such.

Jeff

Hello Jeff, Give me a little time, and maybe I can come up with something. It doesn't seem that it would be too hard, but I've never done it before. But in order for my FunFly/Contests to be run by more people, it is only logical for me to make it into a mission as well. I havent been feeling well lately, so it may not come right of way.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jeff, just wanted to give you an update. I have been able to make a flight plan somewhat, but have yet to figure out why it's working the way it is. Also, unsure as to how to implement it so it can be scored correctly. I'll try to have it figured out by the end of the week hopefully. Sorry for the delay.

Scott

After reading this post over again, I need to rethink how I'm doing this. I made the flight plan, but I should have been making a mission instead, just wasn't thinking totally really.

For now, just try this file (unzip though first), place it into your \Documents\Flight Simulator X Files location. Then start FSX and make a flight at the SOAR Ranch, then load the flight plan. When I tried this though, I had to reload the flight plan to get it to work or see all the waypoints. Keep in mind that this is not a good working file, but it will work none the less.

flight plan.zip

I still have yet to make a single mission inside FSX, so it may take me a while to figure it out.

Scott

• 7 months later...

After reading this post over again, I need to rethink how I'm doing this. I made the flight plan, but I should have been making a mission instead, just wasn't thinking totally really.

Hi, Scott! I've been experimenting with FSX multiplayer for soaring task, along with my brother and another friend. I've been getting a lot of assistance from B21, and had a couple of multiplayer flights so far. The three of us have just installed FSX, CumulusX!, and a few gliders, but only used the SOAR DG-808S in our multiplayer flights.

Since you appear to be trying to do multiplayer tasks in FSX, it would be great to compare experiences, and possibly hook up sometime for a multiplayer flight. The three of us are in Southern Ontario, Eastern Standard Time Zone, and I note that you are in Rapid City, Moutain Standard Time Zone, which is only 2 hours apart.

I've downloaded your files for this contest, and will have a look at it, and possibly give it a try with my flightmates sometime soon. We've been using the FSX GPS unit in the SOAR DG-808S, along with B21's Cambridge vario with the arrival height display. We have not tried the CAISet gauges, but I've been reading through the manual, and they seem to offer a lot of features that are very useful for soaring tasks, so I expect we will try them out very soon.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

AAHHHH. The flight plan... I think I gave up on that because of scoring issues I think. Never thought about this, but I should have used a recorded IGC file from Ian's Sim_logger for scoring. At the time, I don't think there was much in the way of my searching for answers, but just didn't get around to it.

Right now I am using Kris Feldmann's old CAI-set pop-up panel if the aircraft I fly doesn't have the CAISET installed. It works great, since I am also using FaceTrackNoIR for head movement, and it's still a little difficult to press buttons on the aircrafts panel. If I get to feeling a little better, I'll post a short video of how it looks and functions inside FSX.

For multiplayer in FSX, I almost always use FSHostClient and TeamSpeak3. I haven't been actually "soaring" with anyone for a while now, so getting together would be great. Let me get a little bit better and also get my voice back before doing some serious FUN-flying.

Scott

...I am using Kris Feldmann's old CAI-set pop-up panel if the aircraft I fly doesn't have the CAISET installed.

...For multiplayer in FSX, I almost always use FSHostClient and TeamSpeak3.

OK, we are using TS3 also, and run our own TS3 server. We're not using FSHost, however, but have been connecting through the FSX Gamespy interface. I haven't been able to make the DirectIP method work.

I just tried out the CAISet gauges in the LS8-18, and like the way they look and function.

What method or tool are you using to edit your GPS-NAV.dat file?

What method or tool are you using to edit your GPS-NAV.dat file?

I use the FSZwever View 2 tool to edit and make the GPS-NAV file. You can also use it to install/uninstall polars if I remember correctly. The tool is one of those "must have's" when using the CAISET instuments.

Scott

Right now I am using Kris Feldmann's old CAI-set pop-up panel if the aircraft I fly doesn't have the CAISET installed. It works great, since I am also using FaceTrackNoIR for head movement, and it's still a little difficult to press buttons on the aircrafts panel. If I get to feeling a little better, I'll post a short video of how it looks and functions inside FSX.

Here are a couple videos showing FaceTrackNoIR and the CAI-set pop-up panel in action. The videos are about 15min long each, so try not to get too board, but if you have a half hour to spend, they might? be worth something anyway. Click on the screen to open a larger view, best choice is to watch on full screen.

First part of flight, showing my FaceTrackNoIR settings, and showing me using the pop-up panel. Video shows the start of a soaring competition task that I have still not been able to finish well in since CumulusX! v1.8 came out (But a big THANKS to Peter for making it more realistic). From the start I go to the 1st turnpoint, then gain some altitude and off to the 2nd turnpoint.

Showing me trying to get enough altitude to hurdle a pestering ridge to get to the 2nd turnpoint. I clear the ridge just above the treeline after about 6 or so minutes, and it's on to turnpoint 2. I hit the 2nd turnpoint and it's off to turnpoint 3. I grab turnpoint 3 and get started on turnpoint 4 of the 8 total turnpoints in the contest and "ran out of film". Ended the flight early because of time (to finish the race would be to be airborn for another 45 minutes to 1 1/2hours).

Scott

Yeah, the first time I tried the CAISet gauges, I was chasing the buttons around the monitor because of the TrackIR, but after a while it got easier. Worst case, I can F9 to disable the TIR to push buttons. I downloaded the popup ones, but don't know if I will use them.